Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #3151
PollyAnna
Keepin' it Real-ish

PollyAnna is well-respected
I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #3152
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyAnna View Post
I finished Little Brother

I also just finished Hold Still, Nina LaCour and-- will probably draw fire for this-- I did not enjoy it. I thought it was cloying and heavy-handed.
Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.

I'm reading how To Say Goodbye in Robot. Which is so good so far
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #3153
PollyAnna
Keepin' it Real-ish

PollyAnna is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerGirl View Post
Ah, no. Really?

I loved it - I read it as an adult (you know, being an adult) but can only imagine how much my teen self would have loved it. And I did really like it, hey.
<sigh> Is my heart coal-black or what? I should qualify: I didn't dislike ALL of it. But by the last quarter it just felt like she was trying to make every single thread tie up neatly/be super meaningful. And it just didn't fit, IMO.

The last book I loved in that vein (grief & desire) was The Sky is Everywhere and it just KILLED in every sense. So much trust and heart... SUPERBOOKCRUSH.

Last edited by PollyAnna; 12-10-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #3154
Joslin Dee
Wishes she had superpowers...

Joslin Dee has a spectacular aura
I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome.

"I hope life doesn't turn out to be a big joke, because I don't get it." -Jack Handey

WIP:
Olivia Wilder (untitled): First draft finished! On to some major editing!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #3155
trillium
Trillium

trillium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyAnna View Post
I finished Little Brother recently and thought it was good, really interesting premise. But wow, Doctorow is not afraid to just insert CHUNKS of explanation wherever he likes.
It must have worked. A professor describes lines of boys following him around when he makes appearances!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #3156
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joslin Dee View Post
I'm the nerd who pre-ordered Richelle Meade's Last Sacrifice and had it sent to her kindle at midnight... and finished it the same day.

But, uh... it was awesome.
I liked it too. I thought it worked really well on a thematic level - discussing what love is, whether there's such a thing as a soulmate, whether it's right to dedicate your whole life to one person, what the spirit bond means. Rose has really grown up through the series. I was particularly impressed with how she handled the situation with Adrian - obviously not so much impressed by the cheating, but more that she was able to recognise that Adrian isn't fully mature yet, that he's still self-destructing, that he needs an emotional crutch to prop him up - and Rose is all grown up and doesn't need a co-dependent relationship with Adrian when she and Dimitri have a relationship of equals. And I really like that.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #3157
Kats
practical experience, FTW

Kats is a glorious beacon of lightKats is a glorious beacon of light
My last couple of books were Hold Still (didn't love it - I've read quite a few similar books lately so that may have put me off) and The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta (love!).

I'm now reading Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager (thanks DrummerGirl!) and it's great, really evocative and truthful.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #3158
Laura Was Here
let's get married

Laura Was Here is on a distinguished road
Madapple by Christina Meldrum! Written beautifully.

Represented by Sarah Davies at the Greenhouse Literary Agency.

www.lauratims.com

Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #3159
eward

eward is on a distinguished road
I'm reading Burning for Revenge by John Marsden, which is #5 in the Tomorrow series. Great series!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #3160
Shadow_Bee
Meddling with the Muse

Shadow_Bee has a spectacular auraShadow_Bee has a spectacular aura
Reading C.K. Kelly Martin's I Know It's Over.

Blog
Twitter
Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #3161
The_Ink_Goddess
the not happened yet

The_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolness
Rereading THE TRAITOR GAME by B.R. Collins. I wickedlove it more the second time.

Last edited by The_Ink_Goddess; 12-11-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #3162
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #3163
charlotte49ers
let it snow

charlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscharlotte49ers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Clockwork Angel

WIP:
The Devil's Utopia (YA) | Summary

"Be kinder than necessary; for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #3164
lm728
i'm baaaacccckkkkkk

lm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputation
FALL by Colin McAdam.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #3165
Forsaken
...Writing...

Forsaken is a splendid one to beholdForsaken is a splendid one to beholdForsaken is a splendid one to behold
I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.

My blog Twitter Goodreads

My new shiny website!

The 0ther L1fe, Usb0rne UK, February 1st 2012 / Marshall Cavend1sh, May 1st 2012
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #3166
SarahWesten
Zombies were people too...

SarahWesten is on a distinguished road
Gave up on Fallen by Lauren Kate just couldn't get past the second chapter, I'm not sure why. Reading two books currently. Last Sacrifice by Rachel Mead and The Monstrumologist By Richard Yancey, both pulled me in super quickly.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #3167
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by eward View Post
I'm reading Burning for Revenge by John Marsden, which is #5 in the Tomorrow series. Great series!
I'm reading #6 right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia, by Jaclyn Moriarty, last night. Loved it. I may even like it better than The Year of Secret Assignments, which I also love.
I can't choose my favourite between them either. They are both whimsical and funny but with a different vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
I'm reading MATCHED right now. I really like it so far.
I just finished it I liked it, but not as much as the hype.

I think it was to my detriment that I recently read the Giver. I kept getting distracted by similarities. Also - I so much was in awe of the world building in Across the Universe (another dystopian I read a couple of weeks back) that the world building in Matched seemed so simple and flawed in comparison.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #3168
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I'm going through the whole Wrinkle in Time series. This was my favorite of the series as a kid, but I'm wondering if that's from all the unicorn, star, harmony, blue-green dolphin, purple-pink bird, type of imagery

I'm finding with these that it takes me about half of the book before I actually get interested in the plot. It's a very interesting experience because I remember loving them as a kid

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 85% done (according to v.3 on Kindle)
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #3169
dystophil
Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe

dystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished Brenna Yovanoff's THE REPLACEMENT and really enjoyed it While the whole Changeling theme definitely isn't a new one, I just couldn't help but love the way this was written with lots of eerie creepiness about people choosing to look away from the ugly things happening in their lives.

Also chiming in with lots of love for LAST SACRIFICE, especially under the aspect of empowerment and the definition of what a healthy relationship is like and how neither a partner nor a friend should function as a crutch.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #3170
trocadero

trocadero is a shiny, shiny jeweltrocadero is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished Unhooking the Moon. Liked the voice but I was a little disappointed in the ending. Currently reading Matched by Alie Condie - quite a page-turner. She's really great at weaving the world through the plot. It seems like every couple of pages something new pops up that drives you to keep reading.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #3171
warofthesparks
I know what happened to Baby Jane.

warofthesparks is on a distinguished road
Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #3172
Rebecca_Rogers

Rebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by warofthesparks View Post
Picked up Incarceron from the library a few days ago. They just announced yesterday that Taylor Lautner will play the lead character, so now I'll have to picture his face as I read.

I loved that book, but he's definitely not how I pictured Finn. I'm a little disappointed.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #3173
brandileigh2003

brandileigh2003 is on a distinguished road
Just finished Broken Lake and starting Logic of Demons
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #3174
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Just finished FREEFALL by Mindi Scott. Super excellent read.

Going to start YOU by Charles Benoit today. We're discussing it at our book club later this week. My husband finished it already and said the writing is good but the story fell a little short in his opinion. Eager to see what my own take on it will be.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #3175
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
I loved that book, but he's definitely not how I pictured Finn. I'm a little disappointed.
I definitely didn't picture him as Finn, but seriously, I don't think I'll be complaining too much

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 85% done (according to v.3 on Kindle)
Closed Thread