Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #3051
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
I finally finished Mockingjay over the weekend. I know a lot of people either love or hate this book, but I love it. I had to put myself in Katniss's shoes--what would it be like after killing so many people? It's obvious she suffers from PTSD. And by the end, I bawled my eyes out.

Another book I've been trying to read for over a year now (off and on) is Eyes Like Stars. I decided to give up on it. IMO, one of the most confusing books I've ever read.

And now I'm reading Incarceron. Flew through 170 pages last night in one sitting and still trying to grasp the warped steampunk/fantasy/dystopian world. (What genre is it, anyway?) I think it'll be a favorite.
I agree with you about Eyes Like Stars. I got it from the library and just couldn't get into it.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #3052
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
I attempted to read The Maze Runner, but I got too bored. The only hook was the hope the author would explain some stuff maybe sometime. The characters were supremely uninteresting to me.
This was exactly my problem with it. The only goal the MC had was to get information (except for when he decided he didn't care enough to ask), so I didn't care about him, and got too frustrated with the ridiculous withholding of info to keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
Another book I've been trying to read for over a year now (off and on) is Eyes Like Stars. I decided to give up on it. IMO, one of the most confusing books I've ever read.
I liked ELS, but not enough to get the sequel. It was really confusing at times, I agree. There definitely seemed to be some points where the author failed at describing what was going on in a way that made it clear. IIRC, the story was oddly paced too.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising in October

Little Gifts: Plotting for NaNo

Taylor-Made, version 4: Sent to editor!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #3053
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs_08 View Post
ooh... i really DID NOT LIKE Willow. I won't spoiler it for you but I have a review of it on Amazon, a lot of people were not happy with the resolution and (as a former cutter) i personally felt it was unrealistic and simplified cutting too much, focusing on only one tiny aspect of it.

i'd like to see your opinion once you've finished!
I didn't like Willow at all either. and i thought i was about the only one! everyone else seems to give it 5 stars and rave about it and bawl their eyes out.

it really boggles me when a book gets universally raved about and then i get it and seem to be reading something else entirely. i think because i was not enchanted from the out-set, everything bugged me - wooden dialogue, characters felt like cardboard cut-outs. i couldn't even grasp the plot, you know?

also, as for willow, i think she could've gone by the name wallow. haha. okay, sorry, now i'm being mean actually, it's a really popular so i just assumed it was me...

i'm reading The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. Not bad so far.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #3054
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT: DARK DAYS by Derek Landy, which is the 4th in his MG fantasy series and is utterly awesome - very dark, great humour, silly zombies, magic, mayhem and destruction.

I loved it so much that I've just started the next one SKULGUGGERY PLEASANT: MORTAL COIL, which is equally awesome.

MM
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #3055
PollyAnna
Keepin' it Real-ish

PollyAnna is well-respected
I just read The Rep1ac3m3nt by Br3nna Y0van0ff and Empty by Suzanne Weyn.

I was set to LOVE The Replacement- and I did, for the first two chapters. And then... I don't know, it's like she had to condense her cool idea into a smaller book and was forced to cut the good threads she had going or something. So weird.

Last edited by PollyAnna; 03-10-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: google-thwart
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #3056
DonnaDuck
My Worlds Are Building

DonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admiration
Started Arson by Estevan Vega. I'm a little lost from the beginning because it's almost a stream of consciousness with the ideas the kid is talking about but they appear to settle and I like the voice. Plus it's a fast read so I'm going to give it a go to the end.

Gritty YA Fantasy - QUERY MODE

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #3057
OpheliaRevived
Real Men Have Gills

OpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewelOpheliaRevived is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished Dark Divine and yes, I liked it. No, I won't qualify that.

*Will flatter/beta for Rep Points*
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #3058
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Finished Twenty Boy Summer on Friday. Liked it, but one of the characters bugged me enough to make it a 4 star instead of a five star book.

Then I read Blue Fire - loved all the action and suspense in it. Definitely worth reading if you liked The Shifter.

Now I'm on Beatle Meets Destiny. Love the characters and the writing and the voice. I can feel it well on its way to hitting all five stars for me. BUT on the very first page the author makes a statement of scientific fact that is actually false and that threw me off a bit. I have recovered obviously because the writing is so good, but I really wish she would have done her homework.

That's all.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #3059
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta, one of two YA novels I bought when in Australia. I'm only a chapter in so far, but hope to read more today.

I saw the film version (for which MM wrote the screenplay) about ten years ago - on DVD imported from Australia, as it never had a UK cinema release. I'll have to watch it again once I've read the novel.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 28,258 words and counting

"Mourning Becomes Me" (novella) 32,365 words. With betas.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #3060
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading The Shifter. I'm up to the second chapter. Not sure whether I like it or not.

My shiny and sparkling blog!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #3061
Gray.Starr x3
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Gray.Starr x3 is on a distinguished road
JUST finished The Hunger Games, and can't wait to snag the next too ^^
Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #3062
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished The God Box by Alex Sanchez. I enjoyed it a lot. It's better written than Rainbow Boys. I know he tends toward very explicitly describing the issues (even being preachy), but I was a bit surprised that about 1/3 of the book is detailed dissection of a bunch of different bible passages. It was all interesting though (and I am not a christian). For a religious christian kid trying to figure out religion/sexuality, I can see this book being incredibly valuable. As light novel reading, maybe not so much.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #3063
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta, one of two YA novels I bought when in Australia. I'm only a chapter in so far, but hope to read more today.

I saw the film version (for which MM wrote the screenplay) about ten years ago - on DVD imported from Australia, as it never had a UK cinema release. I'll have to watch it again once I've read the novel.
I've just read the chapter where Josie breaks a fellow schoolgirl's nose with a book for making racist comments. (Calling her a "wog" - Josie is of Italian/Sicilian descent.) I remember that scene from the film!

I've done a little research and it appears that of Marchetta's five novels, only Saving Francesca was published in the UK. It's certainly the only one that's in Hampshire's library system. The other four are all available on Amazon UK but they appear to be used copies either from Australia or the USA. (Alibrandi might be a UK edition but I'm pretty sure I've never seen it in UK shops.)

I guess this shows that every country has its own YA and they don't necessarily cross over to other countries - and that it's far easier to buy US books in the UK via Amazon than it is to buy Australian ones (or NZ ones, or South African ones). Every bookshop I went into in Melbourne and Sydney which had a YA section had copies of all five Marchetta novels. It seems her profile is much lower here, if not non-existent. I get the impression she's pretty big in her native country and I believe that Alibrandi is taught in high schools there.

Another example is John Marsden's Tomorrow series. It seems only the first four were published in the UK and there are seven of them. I guess they didn't sell very well. Yet they were everywhere in Australia, helped no doubt by the film version of the first one, Tomorrow When the War Began. I'm planning to read TWTWB - I don't have a copy yet - before the film comes out in the UK. (I saw the film on its opening night in Melbourne but I haven't yet heard when it'll be coming out in the UK. Not before 2011 for sure. It'll be time to watch the film again by then.)

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Last edited by eyeblink; 11-17-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #3064
DonnaDuck
My Worlds Are Building

DonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admiration
Quote:
I've just read the chapter where Josie breaks a fellow schoolgirl's nose with a book for making racist comments. (Calling her a "wog" - Josie is of Italian/Sicilian descent.) I remember that scene from the film!
That right there would have ripped me right out of the book. I'm Sicilian/Napolitan/Calabrian and I'd never heard the term wog before so I had to Google it. Looks like it's British slang for someone with "darker" skin. Depending on how Italian your skin is, you can get pretty dark. My cousin often gets pulled out of line at airports for "random" checks because they think he's Middle Eastern. Being American, WOP probably would have been a better fit (Without Papers) but that's purely regional to the US and I don't think Italians have been insulted by that term in about 50 years. But yeah, little things like that bug the hell out of me in books.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #3065
Georgina
Sushi at midnight

Georgina has a spectacular auraGeorgina has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaDuck View Post
That right there would have ripped me right out of the book.
Why? The book's set in Australia, and that's the racist term used here towards people of Mediterranean descent. It's absolutely accurate.

Cheers.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #3066
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaDuck View Post
That right there would have ripped me right out of the book. I'm Sicilian/Napolitan/Calabrian and I'd never heard the term wog before so I had to Google it. Looks like it's British slang for someone with "darker" skin. Depending on how Italian your skin is, you can get pretty dark. My cousin often gets pulled out of line at airports for "random" checks because they think he's Middle Eastern. Being American, WOP probably would have been a better fit (Without Papers) but that's purely regional to the US and I don't think Italians have been insulted by that term in about 50 years. But yeah, little things like that bug the hell out of me in books.
Little things like what?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I just honestly don't understand what you're saying here.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #3067
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not being in the target audience's nationality/time period?

IMO there are a heck of a lot of books worth reading that contain words I don't know
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #3068
DonnaDuck
My Worlds Are Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
Why? The book's set in Australia, and that's the racist term used here towards people of Mediterranean descent. It's absolutely accurate.

Cheers.
I understand it's accurate for where it's set. Doesn't mean it wouldn't bug me any less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
Little things like what?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I just honestly don't understand what you're saying here.
Just the fact it's a piece of slang against my own heritage that I'd never heard so I'd have to stop reading to look into. So it would literally pull me out of the book. And that's not something I like to do while reading. Plus, even within the context of the book itself, I don't think I could take that as a slur seriously. Just like I wouldn't take the word WOP seriously unless the book were set in the 20s or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
Not being in the target audience's nationality/time period?

IMO there are a heck of a lot of books worth reading that contain words I don't know
Same here, and 99% don't bug me enough to stop reading to research what it is.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #3069
angelfrancis
I got this!

angelfrancis is on a distinguished road
I just started reading 'Elixir' by Hilary Duff. So far so good! I'm also reading the Pretty Little Liars series, on book two. love them!

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #3070
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Reading The Duff on my new Kindle!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #3071
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
Finished Twenty Boy Summer on Friday. Liked it, but one of the characters bugged me enough to make it a 4 star instead of a five star book.

Now I'm on Beatle Meets Destiny. Love the characters and the writing and the voice. I can feel it well on its way to hitting all five stars for me. BUT on the very first page the author makes a statement of scientific fact that is actually false and that threw me off a bit. I have recovered obviously because the writing is so good, but I really wish she would have done her homework.

That's all.
yay for an early probably 5 star rating for Beatle Meets destiny!

Also, which character bugged you in twenty Boy Summer? ... I'm trying to remember if someone bugged me in it?

Quote:

I've done a little research and it appears that of Marchetta's five novels, only Saving Francesca was published in the UK. It's certainly the only one that's in Hampshire's library system. The other four are all available on Amazon UK but they appear to be used copies either from Australia or the USA. (Alibrandi might be a UK edition but I'm pretty sure I've never seen it in UK shops.)

I guess this shows that every country has its own YA and they don't necessarily cross over to other countries - and that it's far easier to buy US books in the UK via Amazon than it is to buy Australian ones (or NZ ones, or South African ones). Every bookshop I went into in Melbourne and Sydney which had a YA section had copies of all five Marchetta novels. It seems her profile is much lower here, if not non-existent. I get the impression she's pretty big in her native country and I believe that Alibrandi is taught in high schools there.

Another example is John Marsden's Tomorrow series. It seems only the first four were published in the UK and there are seven of them. I guess they didn't sell very well. Yet they were everywhere in Australia, helped no doubt by the film version of the first one, Tomorrow When the War Began. I'm planning to read TWTWB - I don't have a copy yet - before the film comes out in the UK. (I saw the film on its opening night in Melbourne but I haven't yet heard when it'll be coming out in the UK. Not before 2011 for sure. It'll be time to watch the film again by then.)
Yay - you saw the film! I loved it - (have read the series 5 times! haha). I'm grateful I live in Australia so i can get all the Aussie stuff - it's easy for me to track down imported books but it's hard to get Aussie stuff internationally.

I just finished reading Sea by Heidi R Kling. I liked it enough, but the romance fell flat for me - and seeing as that was such a huge part of the book... sometimes I think I am too old to appreciate some YA romance stuff. maybe as a teen I would have loved the intensity of it (or at least believed in it, LOL). Anyway, really loved the setting in Indonesia.

Having a YA break and getting to some adult fiction.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #3072
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerGirl View Post
yay for an early probably 5 star rating for Beatle Meets destiny!

Also, which character bugged you in twenty Boy Summer? ... I'm trying to remember if someone bugged me in it?
The sister. I know she's probably typical of most teens, but for some reason she was just incredibly annoying, especially with the video camera. Later, at the end I saw the light because of what's revealed about her, but it was too late for me to change my initial impression.

And yes, loving Beatle!!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #3073
eyeblink
I blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerGirl View Post
Yay - you saw the film! I loved it - (have read the series 5 times! haha). I'm grateful I live in Australia so i can get all the Aussie stuff - it's easy for me to track down imported books but it's hard to get Aussie stuff internationally.
I've bought Australian DVDs from EzyDVD mainly - their boxes have a green sticker saying "Regular International Customer" on them. Not sure where I could buy Aussie books from...Book Depository, I guess? Some of the places that do ship to the UK charge huge postage rates.

As for the TWTWB film, my guess is that if Paramount are going to do a proper job of it in the UK, they're going to have to create an awareness campaign as I don't think the books have much of a profile here - as I said above, I don't think the last three were ever published here. So maybe we'll get some of the cast coming over to publicise the film. Or maybe they'll just dump it in a school holiday release date and hope for the best. (And by then it'll be out on DVD in Australia.)

It's generally hit and miss whether Aussie films get released in the UK at all - often they show at the Barbican in London's annual Australian Film Festival in March and then (maybe) get a small arthouse release (Beautiful Kate was the last one to do that) or go out on DVD. But TWTWB is obviously a bigger proposition than that, and aiming for the same audience as a Hollywood production. We'll see what happens.

By the way, Beatle Meets Destiny was the other book I bought in Australia, so I should be reading that soon.

P.S. Just checked - according to MM's website, Alibrandi was not published in the UK - the only English-language editions outside Australia were in the UK and Canada. Not to mention translations into eleven languages!

Works in progress:

Last edited by eyeblink; 11-18-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #3074
Georgina
Sushi at midnight

Georgina has a spectacular auraGeorgina has a spectacular aura
Quote:
P.S. Just checked - according to MM's website, Alibrandi was not published in the UK - the only English-language editions outside Australia were in the UK and Canada. Not to mention translations into eleven languages!
I'm so surprised it wasn't published in the UK. Melina Marchetta is probably the best-known YA author in Australia, and it's almost all on the back of Looking for Alibrandi. Her other novels have been successes, as I understand it, but not to the same level. LfA is known as the "most stolen library book in Australia" and it is, as you said in an earlier post, taught in high school English. When I read it as a teenager, it struck me as the first novel that really captured what my high school years were like. Not the Italian/Lebanese aspect, because I'm white, but the whole private school/debating/boys type of deal. When you go to a single-sex school, the way you socialise is so different.

(Boys are so weird.)

I haven't seen the movie since it came out in theatres, but I remember enjoying it. Though I thought they made one of the love interests a bit more skeevy than he was in the book.

I really haven't read enough recent Aussie YA. I might have to pick up the Beatle book you're all raving about. :)

Cheers.

Last edited by Georgina; 11-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #3075
inkspatters
The coordinates keep changing...

inkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looking for Alibrandi may be Marchetta's most successful release within Australia, but it didn't gain much international acclaim. Saving Francesca gained a bit more, but it was Jellicoe Road that catapulted her onto the international stage -- she won The Printz award, a lot more people suddenly seemed aware of her etc. So yeah, I don't think as many people outside of Aus know about Looking for Alibrandi (which is sad, because it's fantastic. I studied it in HS English, it was pretty fun ).

But yeah she has always Australia's biggest YA author, imo.

Adk -- the sister in Beatle was kind of annoying (but I assumed some of it was him perceiving her with a bit of bias), buuutttt she reminded me in some ways (unannoying ones, haha) of this girl I know called...Winsome. It was kind of freaky, but cool.

And I tweet, too!

~ FALL TO PIECES, YA thriller, Marshall Cavendish

Last edited by inkspatters; 11-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread