Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #2676
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
K.C. Robertson:
I almost threw Hush, Hush at the wall four times last night, and I'm not quite a third of the way through it.
Yup. My reaction too.

MM
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #2677
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
Yup. My reaction too.

MM
I'm not sure I've heard a single person say that they absolutely loved it. I'll be skipping that one, I think. Plenty of GREAT books to read.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #2678
HayleytheScribbler
will write for cake

HayleytheScribbler is a shiny, shiny jewelHayleytheScribbler is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm also just getting around to reading Shiver. About halfway through and really enjoying it so far

HayleytheScribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #2679
emma_kate
practical experience, FTW

emma_kate is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
I'm not sure I've heard a single person say that they absolutely loved it. I'll be skipping that one, I think. Plenty of GREAT books to read.
No - I loved it!!! Absolutely adored it, one of the best books I've read this year.

Apologies in advance for any "wierd" posts - I'm probably juggling between 5 different forums as I type this message!
emma_kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #2680
Smish
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_kate View Post
No - I loved it!!! Absolutely adored it, one of the best books I've read this year.
Ha! Okay, I won't take it completely off my books-to-read list, but it has been bumped down a bit.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #2681
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspatters View Post
Mine's courtesy of Penguin too, lawl. So far, I'm enjoying it more than the other paranormals I've read. Although I have some beef with the character motivation, and the fact that some of MC's behaviour is OTT.

I don't think the voice is inherently un-male, like others have, so far.
I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #2682
Smish
AW Moderator

I finished Stolen. My only complaint is that it's not long enough; it was over much too quickly.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #2683
Kitty Black
Slowly circling the drain....

Kitty Black is on a distinguished road
Sounds like Stolen should be next on my TBR list. Thanks for the rec!
Kitty Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #2684
rifferaff
kickin' you-know-what

rifferaff is on a distinguished road
I'm about 80 pages into The Adoration of Jenna Fox. The writing is really nice but the pace is a little too slow for my taste.
rifferaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #2685
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
Ha! Okay, I won't take it completely off my books-to-read list, but it has been bumped down a bit.
To be safe Smish, I suggest you get it from your library. I was kind of disappointed I had spent money on it.

adktd2bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #2686
Smish
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
To be safe Smish, I suggest you get it from your library. I was kind of disappointed I had spent money on it.
Ha! Will do. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #2687
inkspatters
The coordinates keep changing...

inkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.
A couple of reviews I read seemed to think that Ethan wasn't too masculine bc he wasn't interested in the other girls at school (like Emily, who supposedly seems 'hotter' than Lena? Idk. It was just like one or two reviews on goodreads, lawl) etc. But I think that's just a personality thing -- not all guys are going to be attracted to the same kinds of girls. So, I don't know what was really up with those reviews -- they made me think Ethan was like a mangina, which I can see that he isn't now that I'm reading the book.

The OTT was when he nearly runs over Lena at the start and he's all like "You're HER". I was like "Unsubtle, much?" But I think that may just be me liking more reserved characters.

Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.

ETA: I didn't enjoy Hush, Hush very much. I can see why other people did -- it has voice, the characterisation is fairly good. But I never, ever believed the relationship between Patch and Nora so the book just fell apart for me. Also, yeah, it did have a creepy-stalker vibe about it. So if you don't like those types of books, you probably won't like it.

And I tweet, too!

~ FALL TO PIECES, YA thriller, Marshall Cavendish

Last edited by inkspatters; 09-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
inkspatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #2688
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspatters View Post

Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.
I cant get into Beautiful Creatures for some reason?

And HOW GOOD IS RAW BLUE?

I couldnt put it down - it was mesmerising and nail-biting and beautiful and gave me little pools of anxiety in my gut.

And - so PUMPED your loving it as I dont know anyone else who has read it! Doesnt help that it;s hard to track down even though it was only released last year...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #2689
inkspatters

inkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I JUST (well, like half an hour ago) finished it. I literally just sat down and inhaled the book -- it is so, so, so good. Gah, the characters -- I loved all of them so, so much. And the prose! The prose! Wow, she has a way with words. My newest book love, definitely. You're totally right about it being mesmerising.

And YES about it being hard to track down. I've been trying to find it for months, having a look in bookstores whenever I go and what-not, and it's NEVER there. But yesterday I was at this bargain place, and they had it. It was pretty awesome

And I tweet, too!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #2690
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
LOL, I mean, I don't know what OTT means. And I still can't figure it out.

My main problem with BC (though I liked it) was that it was basically a repetition of 5 plot (or narrative) points with slight variations on them. Also, one of them, is the reason why I couldn't pick up the novel as a novel, but could get through it as an audiobook. I got really tired when I was previewing the novel of hearing about how Southern the town was. And Ethan told us A LOT. At some point it's like, Okay, we get it. You can SHOW us without telling us from now on and we will understand that it's the way the town is (and always has been and always will be).

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision

Last edited by Sage; 09-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #2691
K.C. Robertson
Sitting underneath my laptop

K.C. Robertson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I didn't know either, so I've been looking it up. After some time with google, I'm guessing it means Over The Top? Maybe? If that's right, I'd love confirmation.

Afterglow (working title) YA Urban Fantasy WIP (drafting): 8K words and on pause for NaNo
K.C. Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #2692
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
over the top?
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #2693
~*Kate*~
brings the random.

~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood~*Kate*~ is a candidate for sainthood
I read the first story in Lips Touch Three Times last night and loooved it. Can't wait to read the rest.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #2694
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Monsters of Men. CANNOT PUT IT DOWN.
Glitter and Doom ~ a short story in the Masque universe~ Greenwillow ~ February 2013
The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014
www.bethanygriffin.com
bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #2695
HayleytheScribbler
will write for cake

HayleytheScribbler is a shiny, shiny jewelHayleytheScribbler is a shiny, shiny jewel
Started the DUFF last night. Almost done with it now

HayleytheScribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #2696
inkspatters

Quote:
Lawl it does mean over the top. I shoulda guessed that's what you didn't get (and apparently everyone else, too), it took me five years of high school to learn that one

And I tweet, too!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #2697
Opal
The Designated No-Stress Friend

Opal is on a distinguished road
I'm reading 'Beautiful Creatures' right now, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it. It's a little boring and... something else. I'm not quite sure what it is yet. I'm going to try and see if it gets any better. If not then I'll move on to the next book I have in line.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #2698
inkspatters

I read five more pages of Beautiful Creatures and then put it down again to re-read CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk (which is obviously not YA, but you know).

Next on my list is Octavian Nothing -- yes, I still haven't read it. I've decided to read Beautiful Creatures when I'm on a plane, so my attention can't wander haha.

And I tweet, too!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #2699
Amberly
practical experience, FTW

Amberly is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I'll take suggestions

We went to the snow for the weekend just recently, it was only a three night stay but i ended up packing five books in the hope that something would catch my interest...

I picked each one up and shortly after put it back down again.

I'm after any suggestions on a good book with good recommendations as right now i seem to be in a reading rut!

Cheers

Amaranth: YA Urban Fantasy.
NightWish Chronicles: YA Urban fantasy.
Kemla book 1, 2 and 3: YA Medieval Fantasy, being blogged.
Saphryon: YA Fantasy.
Survivor of the Rain: YA contemporary.
Death Dancer: YA Medieval Fantasy WIP...
Amberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #2700
Smish
AW Moderator

Read Living Dead Girl this morning. Very good, but very dark. Also very, very short.