Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #2601
Dwight
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Location: Widnes. Yup, the one where Paul Simon wrote Homeward Bound in UK, the only Widnes in the world.
Dwight is on a distinguished road
Just finished Philip Pullman's Northern Lights. Lyra is such a character. If I could come anywhere near creating someone the reader gets to know so well I'd do it and retire from writing. Now for The Subtle Knife.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #2602
Mahesh
i love books....lol

Mahesh is on a distinguished road
The Gunslinger by Stephen King but I'm not feeling it so much. Clockwork Angel is really good and Levithian By Scott Westerfield.

Broken Kingdoms: YA Urban fantasy
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #2603
jscribbles
Who killed my sea monkeys?

jscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolness
Finally finished SHIVER last night! Such beautiful writing! I never thought I'd get so into a werewolf story. About halfway through, I wasn't sure if I'd read LINGER, but now I think I'm going to have to.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #2604
jscribbles
Who killed my sea monkeys?

jscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolnessjscribbles leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm also listening to Beautiful Creatures.
Maybe this is what I need to do. I keep getting stuck. Same with A SWEET FAR THING. It's just soooo long!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #2605
schadenfreude
good with salt

schadenfreude is on a distinguished road
Halfway through Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.

TWITTER
Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #2606
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I finally finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and it did not work for me at all. Firstly it reads very much like a Hollywood version of Victorian London - with it's bad weather, carriages and parks for promenading. The descriptions of Whitechapel (used as a stereotypical Bad Place) especially chafed because Whitechapel was a slum in the 19th century, filled with ramshackle buildings housing up to 50 people a time and whores charging a penny for a poke against a wall rather than glamorous brothels and sinister houses. Secondly, the plot is incredibly similar to Mortal Instruments - teenage girl discovers she has super special powers after being put in immediate, life threatening danger, is rescued by an arrogant, snarky and incredibly good looking boy from whom she learns about Shadowhunters and their world. The male lead is a carbon copy of Jace, his friend is Simon (complete with special illness), and the female lead a copy of Clary. Thirdly, it's too over-written for my tastes - descriptions go on for too long, there's the same over-reliance on elaborate similes and dialogue never rings true either for the period or the age of the protagonists.

Basically, it hit every one of my Gah! areas when it comes to YA fiction.

:breathes:

Fortunately I've just started Before I Die by Jenny Downham, which is absolutely brilliant. A moving account of a teenage girl with terminal cancer who draws up a list of things she wants to do before she dies, this is a fabulously well written book with a great central voice and well observed characters. I can see both why it won and was nominated for a number of prestigious awards.

MM
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #2607
Sean Wills
practical experience, FTW

Sean Wills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler View Post
Maybe this is what I need to do. I keep getting stuck. Same with A SWEET FAR THING. It's just soooo long!
Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I got about 150 pages in, skipped ahead a bit and then gave up. It's really, really boring. (Review at my blog, if you're interested!)
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #2608
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Just reserved a ****load of books at the library so hopefully I'll have something to add here soon.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #2609
angelfrancis
I got this!

angelfrancis is on a distinguished road
Just finished Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad, it was muuuch better than the first one. Excited for the third. They keep getting better!

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #2610
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just read "The Adoration of Jenna Fox". I have to say, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. The writing is amazing. The writer seems to not know the difference between bacteria and viruses (though maybe that's the fault of bad editing), but I am willing to forgive that.

Currently reading "the less-dead" by April Lurie. It's about a straight kid trying to figure out who is murdering all these gay foster kids (including his friend) in the name of their warped brand of Christianity in Austin, TX. So far it's great but a little bit scary.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2611
NiaR
Bibliophile

NiaR is on a distinguished road
I'm reading Cracked up to be by Courtney Summers

“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.”- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

http://niaraie.blogspot.com/

Tweet! Tweet!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #2612
Angela_785
Banned for Spamming

Angela_785 is a glorious beacon of lightAngela_785 is a glorious beacon of light
I just finished 'Wings' by Aprilynne Pike.

*SPOILERS*

The begining was such a flatline, but it picked up. I think tho, what broke the suspension of disbelief for me was how she tells a boy she's only just met about the flower growing out of her back, even tho her background was homeschooling with next to no interaction with people her age or boys. For me, that was a big one, especially when she didn't tell her mom first, when the author set them up as being quite close. It pulled me out of the story.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #2613
Elysium
believe

Location: In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvania other times
Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just finished Other by Karen Kincy. It was okay, a book that you would probably want to borrow from the library or a friend, instead of outright buying it.

Right now, I'm reading Take Me There by Carolee Dean. So far it's really good. Started off strong, and it's refreshing to read a male POV.

UNFAIR
A Dark Retelling of Snow White
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #2614
schadenfreude
good with salt

schadenfreude is on a distinguished road
I just finished Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which I loved. I'll either go on to read The Girl Who Played with Fire or finish either Genius Wars by Catherine Jinks or The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #2615
DonnaDuck
My Worlds Are Building

DonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admiration
On my way through ttyl by Lauren Myracle. While I'm getting a little tired of the Im speak and the overall plot, I like the crassness and pure rawness that the characters talk about. I can see how this one ended up on the banned books list. Female ejaculation! Oh noes! An anatomical fact! What's next? Breast milk?

Gritty YA Fantasy - QUERY MODE

Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #2616
K.C. Robertson
Sitting underneath my laptop

K.C. Robertson is on a distinguished road
I just finished Kiersten White's Paranormalcy, which I adored (loved the protagonist!), and Clare's Clockwork Angel. I agree with Momento Mori that it reads pretty much exactly like City of Bones with different setting/character names, but I had fun reading it all the same. I really loved the Mortal Instruments series.

Afterglow (working title) YA Urban Fantasy WIP (drafting): 8K words and on pause for NaNo
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #2617
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished The Unidentified and trying to identify what to read next. Oh no.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #2618
Opal
The Designated No-Stress Friend

Opal is on a distinguished road
Just finished 'Hex Hall' and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'll be interested to see how the sequel is.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #2619
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
I finally finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare and it did not work for me at all.

Fortunately I've just started Before I Die by Jenny Downham, which is absolutely brilliant. A moving account of a teenage girl with terminal cancer who draws up a list of things she wants to do before she dies, this is a fabulously well written book with a great central voice and well observed characters. I can see both why it won and was nominated for a number of prestigious awards.

MM
Clockwork Angel has been so hyped up, hey? It's not really my scene. I made it through City of Bones and am happy to leave it at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
I just read "The Adoration of Jenna Fox". I have to say, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. .
I thought it was really well written too - It was weird though, when I read it I had bursts when I was really into it and then patches where I wasn't so enthusiastic.

Also, I loved the final chapter/s/epilogue. Done so well and just widen the whole scope of the novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela_785 View Post
I just finished 'Wings' by Aprilynne Pike.

*SPOILERS*

The begining was such a flatline, but it picked up. I think tho, what broke the suspension of disbelief for me was how she tells a boy she's only just met about the flower growing out of her back, even tho her background was homeschooling with next to no interaction with people her age or boys. For me, that was a big one, especially when she didn't tell her mom first, when the author set them up as being quite close. It pulled me out of the story.

Any thoughts on this one?
Heheheheh. I know what you mean. I think authors in the paranormal romance genre work things like that. I thought the book was kinda middle grade in a way. I cruised through a little bored. I think it'll make a good tween movie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

Right now, I'm reading Take Me There by Carolee Dean. So far it's really good. Started off strong, and it's refreshing to read a male POV.
I have this sitting on my shelf But a pile of Aussie YA to get through first...

1. I just finished Girl Saves Boy by Steph Bowe and am not sure what to make of it? She's a 16year old Aussie author.

2. Also, Jarvis 24 (winner of CBCA) it was great - Aussie male POV was brilliant.

3. I read She's So Dead to Us by Kieren Scott (who is also Kate Brian). It's a guilty pleasure read that stared off cliche but the second half of the book was really strong and redeemed itself. She can write really well. It was addictive fluff If you love books like these you wont be disappointed. For me, it's nothing that will resonate but I did kinda enjoy the indulgence, haha.

4. Now onto Mistik Lake which looks really good - the first few chapters have some lovely rich prose.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #2620
Mercurio Cavaldi
A shrubbery!

Mercurio Cavaldi is on a distinguished road
I'm rereading an old favorite, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I'm looking forward to The Curse of the Wendigo, part 2 in Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series.

Friend me on Twitter or Facebook. I like friends.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #2621
Elysium
believe

Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
DrummerGirl - Was Girl Saves Boy a good read? I'm so mad that I have to wait til next year for it to come out in the US. I like Steph, though. I follow her on twitter and blogger. I was so excited when I discovered that she was my age and already a published author. It gives me hope, especially since there are so many amazing teen authors out there.

I love Aussie writers. Melina Marchetta, Lucy Christopher, and Markus Zusak are definitely three of my faves.

But you'll love Take Me There. Especially if you like male POVs.

UNFAIR
Old 09-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #2622
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
I just finished The Hunger Games.

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #2623
DrummerGirl
Capturing the Castle

DrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of lightDrummerGirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
DrummerGirl - Was Girl Saves Boy a good read? I'm so mad that I have to wait til next year for it to come out in the US. I like Steph, though. I follow her on twitter and blogger. I was so excited when I discovered that she was my age and already a published author. It gives me hope, especially since there are so many amazing teen authors out there.

I love Aussie writers. Melina Marchetta, Lucy Christopher, and Markus Zusak are definitely three of my faves.

But you'll love Take Me There. Especially if you like male POVs.
Oh - I liked Girl Saves Boy - but probably not as much as teens will enjoy it. Some bits I didnt completely follow what was happening. I cant really think of a book to even compare it too - in some ways it was like little vignettes and observations and scenes all weaved together. It's a dual POV - which I hadnt realised before picking it up.

It's a funny, quirky little book - I wrote a kinda review last night that I'll chuck up on my blog and goodreads (are you on goodreads?) after I have time to fully process it
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #2624
Elysium
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerGirl View Post
Oh - I liked Girl Saves Boy - but probably not as much as teens will enjoy it. Some bits I didnt completely follow what was happening. I cant really think of a book to even compare it too - in some ways it was like little vignettes and observations and scenes all weaved together. It's a dual POV - which I hadnt realised before picking it up.

It's a funny, quirky little book - I wrote a kinda review last night that I'll chuck up on my blog and goodreads (are you on goodreads?) after I have time to fully process it
And yeah, I'm on Goodreads. I'll keep a look out for your review.

UNFAIR
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #2625
BradleyWilliams
New kid, no need to be gentle!

BradleyWilliams is on a distinguished road
I recently finished Mockingjay No Spoilers I promise...I loved the read...the more I think about it since I have finished the more and more disappointed I become. However, despite that I am on board with the Trilogy.

WIP (Revising): The Blind Leading the Blind: 60,000 words. Chapter 1 in SYW. Looking for a Beta or two to read my first novel and provide brutally honest feedback.
Closed Thread