• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Steve takes query only by e-mail, or query plus 10 pages via snail mail. Good luck!

Yoshima

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone's heard from Jodi Reamer/her assistant lately. I got a partial request on 6/7 and sent it the next day, and haven't heard anything back. I know she's crazy busy so I really don't want to nudge, and it's summer so I'm sure there's vacation time, too. But I read somewhere that it's okay to nudge after six weeks on partials (I think...?).

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Um. I'd wait a little while longer--probably until around the two month mark. It seems that most agents are a little hectic right now, and with SCBWI coming up, agents who rep YA/children's have a little extra on their plate. Two months should be safe to nudge though. Congrats on the partial and good luck!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
All right, question for everyone - is it deemed too aggressive to CALL the agency for an update on my manuscript. I have another offer for rep and WH knows that the deadline is around the corner...but it's been radio silence.

Please opine. Thanks

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Send a follow up e-mail first. If it's a day or two before, then you can try calling, but I'm not sure how well that would be received. But, it probably wouldn't change the outcome either way.

Also, you may get through faster if you e-mail the assistant. They might be able to expedite it.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Send a follow up e-mail first. If it's a day or two before, then you can try calling, but I'm not sure how well that would be received. But, it probably wouldn't change the outcome either way.

Also, you may get through faster if you e-mail the assistant. They might be able to expedite it.

I'm hours away and yes, I've been e-mailing the assistant. I agree that the outcome is what it is...but it would still be nice to get it in the e-mail. (sigh)

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
If it's tomorrow, I'd just call them. I'm sure the NY office has somebody at a desk who will direct your call, so you won't be interrupting anybody. If you're working with Steve, you might get him directly, but I wouldn't worry about it--he's incredibly nice and would understand. Good luck!

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
JJ: I was in the same situation in April, and I did call them. Got the agent's assistant and said, "I just wanted to make sure, you know, that, uh, you got my email about, er, the other offer...." I felt like a total idiot -- like I was violating every rule ever stated about NEVER EVER EVER calling an agent -- but I just felt it was too important to take the chance that I'd somehow fallen through the cracks. The assistant said yes, she'd gotten the email and that she'd follow up with me.

You know what's coming.... I never heard back from them.

Kind of a bummer because WH was definitely at the top of my list of agencies, but I'm happy with my agent and I've chalked it to "oh, well, things happen they way they're supposed to."

Good luck!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
skippingstone:
Aw, I'm sure it didn't sound that bad! I'm actually going to ask for a decision, so there won't be a need to follow-up if it's a no. Thanks for sharing the story!

(Overall, I feel like when they ASK for a partial or a full, then they really ought to get back to us...)

flyinghorses12

Registered
Reaction score
So I sent a requested partial (1st 50 pgs) and "brief" synopsis (6 pgs, who knows what brief means) to Jennifer Escott on 7/20, now have post-partial jitters...anyone ever get a confirmation from them when they sent a partial/full, cuz I didn't and I have before with other agents?

Also, couldn't find anywhere how they like to receive requests, so I just attached each separately as a .docx (seems to be the standard at this stage) with a polite offer to send differently if preferred? Thoughts?

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
.docx is often a mistake because many companies still have older software that won't open them. It's best to save as .doc (it's an option under "save as").

Some agencies tell you specifically to send as .doc instead of .docx.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan should I address my query to Dear Mr. Steve or Steven Malk I have seen his name written both ways. Also do you feel right now is not a good time to submit as he is too busy at this time of the year? I was wondering if September would be better timing for him. He is THE top of my list agent so I want to step with as much care and thought as I can.

I also noticed Upstart Crow has closed submissions till September.
thank you!

Last edited:

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
So I sent a requested partial (1st 50 pgs) and "brief" synopsis (6 pgs, who knows what brief means) to Jennifer Escott on 7/20, now have post-partial jitters...anyone ever get a confirmation from them when they sent a partial/full, cuz I didn't and I have before with other agents?

Also, couldn't find anywhere how they like to receive requests, so I just attached each separately as a .docx (seems to be the standard at this stage) with a polite offer to send differently if preferred? Thoughts?

I got a reply when I sent mine in...but I had made a funny comment when I sent the partial in, and that was what she responded to.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score

I didn't get a confirmation when I sent my partial, but she got it since she requested the full a few weeks later.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ryan should I address my query to Dear Mr. Steve or Steven Malk I have seen his name written both ways. Also do you feel right now is not a good time to submit as he is too busy at this time of the year? I was wondering if September would be better timing for him. He is THE top of my list agent so I want to step with as much care and thought as I can.

I also noticed Upstart Crow has closed submissions till September.
thank you!

When you query, I'd do it to "Dear Mr. Malk," because from experience, full names seem like copy-and-paste. He always signed Steven until I talked to him via phone, then it was Steve (interestingly enough, it says both Steve and Steven in different places on the Writers House website).

I wouldn't query right now--he's got a lot of books coming out, a lot of books on sub, and SCBWI/his SCBWI party--so, he's insanely busy. I'd wait until the middle of August, perhaps September to query, and you might have better luck. Good luck! I couldn't recommend him more highly.

Last edited:

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) Thank you Ryan for your advice, I am totally going to take it! I have been polishing and polishing my MS. I can't wait to send it to him, particularly because he is a vegetarian like me LOL! This could be one of the most important relationships I have in a lifetime!

Congrats on getting him I bet you smiled for a week !!! your jaw must have hurt after a bit though right :)

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
No problem--if you haven't already, be sure to stop by caseylmccormick.blogspot.com and look at her Q&A with him--it gives some great insights.

Good luck!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
That’s a great website, yes I devoured it more like!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan - How long did Steven take to get back to you when you submitted to him?
I would like to give him an exclusive but don't want to wait too long before I submit to others.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
herenow,
if Steve and Alena (his assistant) request your manuscript, the exclusive will likely be for 2 weeks, so you won't have to wait long at all.
also, if you are querying any other agents now, and you get a request from someone else before a request from Steve, you won't be able to grant the exclusive. but in my experience, they are very understanding about that. so no worries.
good luck! :)

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) So exciting. Thats good to know. I haven't queried anyone yet. Yes I'm an optimist! that may serve me well.
My books still Pure as the Driven Snow - um... thats a weird saying. I guess that is wind driven and not car driven like here in New England!

Congrats on getting your agent (read your blog!), your agent is in my top five. We may be bunk buddies (fingers and toes crossed, if its meant to be and all that fun stuff)

OT: This part was a bit disturbing though:
this is the 1st new client I've signed all year

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats ej!

Yeah, Steve has a very fast turnaround for every step of the process. His assistant even called me to apologize for it taking so long after just 3 weeks! (It was when Lindsay left and Alena joined, so they took longer.) He's been a bit backlogged lately though, so it may take a bit longer.

flyinghorses12

Registered
Reaction score
Saltier and Forsaken-how long ago did you guys submit to Jennifer/Merrilee? Have you heard back? If so, what was the turnaround?

Someone on querytracker was reporting they hadn't even touched a partial she sent mid-april, so I'm steeling myself for a long wait.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Saltier and Forsaken-how long ago did you guys submit to Jennifer/Merrilee? Have you heard back? If so, what was the turnaround?

Someone on querytracker was reporting they hadn't even touched a partial she sent mid-april, so I'm steeling myself for a long wait.

Query: June, 9th
Partial request: June 10th
Full request: June 23rd
Now I'm waiting. :)