• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sternig & Byrne Literary Agency

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Yeah, I found him while searching for sci/fi and fantasy agents.
But I like to look further, I read their blogs and look at other fantasy books they've repped. I see a lot of so called 'fantasy' agents who rep nothing but romance and urban fantasy. I wont waste their time or mine.
But with Jack, I could not find a blog or list of clients. I don't know what he likes.

VickCorren

Registered
Reaction score
Got a partial request a few weeks ago. I emailed to tell him I already had four partials and fulls out on the manuscript, since he only takes partials on exclusive. He said he was more than happy to wait, said the interest was a great sign, and wished me the best. I was a bit put off by the exclusive thing, but his friendliness in the follow-up gave me good vibes.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from him too. Sadly, I already have a full out. When I told him, he said just send him the partial if the other agent did not work out. He was very polite and professional and very friendly. He is a class act in my opinion...when the others come back, I am going to send him a partial regardless.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from him too. Sadly, I already have a full out. When I told him, he said just send him the partial if the other agent did not work out. He was very polite and professional and very friendly. He is a class act in my opinion...when the others come back, I am going to send him a partial regardless.

Unless your other (the full) is an exclusive, you should go ahead and send the partial.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Byrne is absolutely a class act.

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
I recently got one of those requests for a partial from Mr. Byrne -- exclusive only. I wrote back saying that I hadn't realized he wanted exclusives and that I already had several full and partial submissions out. He wrote a very nice letter back congratulating me on the interest and letting me know that should I still be seeking an agent after hearing back from the others, that I should send it to him.

I get a really great, old-fashioned feeling about this agent! Which might be good, because I'm a really old-fashioned sort of writer and often feel like I've aged out of the market.

Sharilyn

Registered
Reaction score
maybe

But I think you should note that it's been a very long time since he bothered to update his website - what does that say?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
But I think you should note that it's been a very long time since he bothered to update his website - what does that say?
I think it says he's not particularly interested in updating his website. He didn't even have one for years.

Two authors I know, Sarah Monette and Kelley McCollough, are represented by him and have only good things to say about him.

Interestingly, he passed on representing my first Dog Days ms a few years ago. Like others here, I found him to be a very nice fellow and a thorough professional.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
That he's busy being an agent and not a web master? haha.

I got the same request for my ms when I notified him that it was already out with partial and full subs to other agencies.
He strikes me as a class act. If things don't work out with the other agency (which I hope they actually do work out!!!), I'll send Mr. Byrne the requested material.

Last edited:

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a long shot, sent a short query to Jack Byrne 3/22. What's the worst he could do, say no?

He said no on 4/6. Form R, weighted more toward "my client list is full" than the usual "not for me" type of R.