Memoir Word Count Question

havestorytotell

One of the 96% of us
Registered
Reaction score
When doing a word count on a memoir, do you include the Introduction, Prologue and Epilogue in the word count?

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And another thought about that; I just had my memoir published about six months ago. It's a fascinating process, working with an editor and publisher. One thing that really made me think is that those parts of the book like the prologue, forward, etc...are all a "part" of the book. As writers who sweat over each word that makes it into our book. When we finally finish writing our book, we have this thought, "Oh crap! Now I've got to write the forward (or whatever)" and so we toss it in there, because we have to. Truth be told, we'd rather just write the book and forget all that additional "stuff."

My experience though is that those parts are an integral part to the story you're telling. Who you dedicate the book to tells a mini-story in itself. The front matter, whether it's a forward, or whatever, set the stage. While people sometimes say that people don't read it, I have not found that to be true. In fact, I have had people in the media quote my front matter or back matter. So, my advice to you and myself as well with my next book is to think long and hard about every word that you put in your book. And don't wait until the last minute and just toss it in there. Every word in a book must deserve it's place there. ~Karen

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And another thought about that; I just had my memoir published about six months ago. It's a fascinating process, working with an editor and publisher. One thing that really made me think is that those parts of the book like the prologue, forward, etc...are all a "part" of the book. As writers who sweat over each word that makes it into our book. When we finally finish writing our book, we have this thought, "Oh crap! Now I've got to write the forward (or whatever)" and so we toss it in there, because we have to. Truth be told, we'd rather just write the book and forget all that additional "stuff."

My experience though is that those parts are an integral part to the story you're telling. Who you dedicate the book to tells a mini-story in itself. The front matter, whether it's a forward, or whatever, set the stage. While people sometimes say that people don't read it, I have not found that to be true. In fact, I have had people in the media quote my front matter or back matter. So, my advice to you and myself as well with my next book is to think long and hard about every word that you put in your book. And don't wait until the last minute and just toss it in there. Every word in a book must deserve it's place there. ~Karen

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Agreed.

And congratulations!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal