XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
*Starts polishing his +5 anti-troll clue x 4 and whistling the theme to Hogan's heroes*

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies for my randomnicity, but now I'm trying to inch and poke my way toward making my first post in SYW. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck on viewing my MS like a massive plate of whole roasted elephant - my chapters run on the long side, and I really have no idea whether it's better to post a scene that needs work, a section that I feel really comfortable and happy with, something just to taste....

Or, since it's complete, is it better to look at a beta?

(Curses, perpetual newbie perspective!)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience. I have only posted a short in SYW. So, this is only personal opinion with no experience backing it.

I would suggest posting a scene you are confident with. Something that will introduce your character(s) and your world. Mention that the work is complete and you are looking for betas.

Also, make a post asking for betas in the beta forum. Mention or put a link to, your SYW piece so that people can get an idea if they are interested.

Or if there is someone in particular you would like to look at it, PM them and ask.

You might also try the "hook me in the first 200 words" thread. You might hook some people in there.

Some of the old timers might have more useful or better information. Though, personally, I would go for the PM method. It feels more reliable than the random-person-off the street method in the beta forum.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies for my randomnicity, but now I'm trying to inch and poke my way toward making my first post in SYW. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck on viewing my MS like a massive plate of whole roasted elephant - my chapters run on the long side, and I really have no idea whether it's better to post a scene that needs work, a section that I feel really comfortable and happy with, something just to taste....

A beta is not a bad idea in any case, but if you post in SYW, you may want to start with the opening. For one thing, it might help draw the attention of someone who'll want to beta it. For another, when critting work, it's hard to say meaningful things when there's no context to get us to an interior scene/chapter, and as a writer, you'll more likely to be tempted to post your most polished scene, which may not tell us as readily what things need work.[1] OTOH, if a beginning isn't working (and it happens to all of us, don't fear this) what comes after it could change substantially or entirely in the process of fixing it. Readers and editors will also both pick up your piece cold from that beginning. So really, start there.

Good luck! :)

--
[1] sort of like taking your car to the mechanic and saying "it's just not running right, but here, listen, the HORN SOUNDS GREAT!"

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I should add that I have fire extinguisher, bandaids and ointment if you need it. Just holler.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

Or, since it's complete, is it better to look at a beta?

(Curses, perpetual newbie perspective!)

If you're just looking for specifics on a particular section of your work, SYW will be just fine, as long as you stick to the guidelines (Protip: Point size 2 for font is fine, anything larger than that looks unwieldy). If you're looking for a complete beta read, there's a different section entirely for that, although it's probably a good idea to post a piece of your work in SYW first, and add a link to that in the "Looking For Beta Reader" forum so people can just click on that and see whether they're interested.

Although ideally, if you already know people here in SF/F that you like, respect and think would add valuable insight, the best case scenario is that you already have Beta Readers but just don't know it yet.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The Tattoo Story
Or, Why You Should Never Get A Tattoo In A Language You Don't Speak

:eek:

Great story, though!

I think I'll stick to my plan to get a phoenix. Someday. (This year, since it's my outrageous thing to do when I'm 40.)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DRIVE-BY.

What up, cantina?

In a moment of shameless self-promotion, DBtM is up for a Reader's Choice Award on a book blog. If you enjoyed the story and are so inclined to click a button in support, kindly vote for it here. Right now it's tied with Stephan!e Meyer$ The H0st. Not sure how I feel about that.

You're ahead of Das H0st at the moment.

Huzzah!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll stick to my plan to get a phoenix. Someday. (This year, since it's my outrageous thing to do when I'm 40.)

I got mine at 37, to celebrate sending my first novel off to a publisher. At least the tattoo worked out :)

I was going to go for a hot-air balloon ride to celebrate turning 40, but when my birthday arrived, I had two newborns at home. Maybe 45?

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine at 37, to celebrate sending my first novel off to a publisher. At least the tattoo worked out :)

I was going to go for a hot-air balloon ride to celebrate turning 40, but when my birthday arrived, I had two newborns at home. Maybe 45?

Go for it. I don't think I could ever scrape up the courage to go on a hot-air balloon ride. It's a height thing. I'm far enough from the ground as it is.

I'll stick to the tattoos. Besides, I'm already addicted at 2.

Also, thanks for the advice, all. I tend to be over-cautious and shy when it comes to sharing my things, which is a pain when I'm trying to tell a story. I'd value insight from anyone here, if the hope of science fantasy, heavy on the dragons, sounds interesting (and in the meantime I will be freaking out in the corner and wrestling with the want to obsessively refresh the SYW and beta forums... no more Red Bull for me tonight).

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Why back in my day? The pixels were as big as your thumb, unless you was using that new fangled hi-res graphics stuff, then they was not much bigger than the BBs I kept in the gun by my bed.

My, what big pixels you have!

*squints at strange avatar* who did you say u were?

It's meeeee! You'd rather I resurrected my one-day steampunk girl? I have not had many avis here.

He left my office a very, very dejected man.

Oh. Oh, dear.

You're ahead of Das H0st at the moment.

Huzzah!

Huzz to the ah. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
The Tattoo Story
Or, Why You Should Never Get A Tattoo In A Language You Don't Speak

Back in the late 90's I worked for this nasty little dot com outside of Boston. Having just recently graduated college, I still had at least some command of Japanese, and had been tasked with "translating" everyone's business cards into Japanese because we did a fair bit of business there. As a result, I had a lot of kanji up on the white board in my office with common elements like "manager", "director", "engineer", etc.

We were having some work done in the building at the time. One day one of the workmen came into my office to apologize for accidentally drilling through my office wall and noticed my white board.

Workman: "You speak Japanese?"
Me: "Some. Mostly I read it."
Workman: "Yeah?" [rolls up sleeve, shows me complex tattoo] "Can you read this?"

It wasn't a kanji I was familiar with, so I pulled out my Nelson (dictionary) and started looking it up. For those unfamiliar, you look up Japanese kanji by a combination of common elements and number of brush strokes it takes to draw a character. So I'm narrowing it down, and Workman guy starts getting impatient. Just as I'm nearly there -- on the right page, running my finger down looking for just the right one -- he says:

Workman: [proudly] "It means sex fiend!"

Just as he said that I found the character, and in fact it meant "pervert" and "child molester". He was looking over my shoulder as I found it.

He left my office a very, very dejected man.

He'd have done better with imuh luv ma sheen

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar experience, Zan. I work freelance, so I often work with a lot of people I don't know. One day I was in the lunch line behind a young woman who had a character tattoo on her shoulder. I asked her what it meant.

She said, "Well they told me it means. . . ."

I don't even remember what she said. I lit her up, for getting a tattoo based on what somebody told her the meaning was.

As a Curmudgeon Errant, I'm not here to make friends. . . .

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So subtle didnt work....

I BOUGHT A NEW CAR!!!!! I GOT 55.5 mpg on the way home!!!!! No more spending 300 a month on diesel!!!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And for the record, I was against goat cheese on pizza. But only if its the soft crumbly kind. I may need an eco hippie intervention.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
she says that to all the boys...

I think when I get my new apt, I want an ant farm.

Hey, if you get the right apartment, you won't even need the little plastic case to keep them in. Wouldn't that be cool?

I had a similar experience, Zan. I work freelance, so I often work with a lot of people I don't know. One day I was in the lunch line behind a young woman who had a character tattoo on her shoulder. I asked her what it meant.

I don't even remember what she said. I lit her up, for getting a tattoo based on what somebody told her the meaning was.

True Curmudgeonism is a skill, not a talent. I hope you keep in practice.

So subtle didnt work....

I BOUGHT A NEW CAR!!!!! I GOT 55.5 mpg on the way home!!!!! No more spending 300 a month on diesel!!!

:banana::TheWave::banana:
YAY!

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

you sound awesome to hang out with... well... to watch hang out with other people... :)

So subtle didnt work....

yays!

Hey, if you get the right apartment, you won't even need the little plastic case to keep them in. Wouldn't that be cool?

mmmm.... no... that would not be awesome at all...

So I sent off the pathetic attempt at a query to a friend who won't laugh at me too loud. I swear I'm not reading it until she responds. I swear.

I'm also probably going to see my potential apt on Thursday, and for a timid little creature, that is going to be a lot of interacting with other humans. My tummy is already nervous, and I'm worried. What if I get rejected? I don't want to live in the four story death trap or the low income place. Which, ironically, I probably don't have a low enough income for. That is really the only thing I have going for me.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, just in case. I am, against my better judgement, taking part in the Round Table discussion on "Are the Rules Beneficial". You know the "avoid adverbs" type rules. Any of you who have experience with this particular z-word topic will know where it is going. It always goes to the same place.

I'm only taking part in it for two reasons. First, to start practicing my educate without letting myself go into "kill them, kill them all" mode.

And second, because I, as a beginning writer know that I have problems with these rules and am learning to avoid making those mistakes. So, I don't want to see other even more beginning writers harmed by this recurring topic.

My request is, will some of you check in there occasionally, and warn me if I am being a naughty boy?

Last edited:

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
dude... .I'm sorry... but I'm not goin' in those waters. Not for nobody, no how.

I just get so frustrated at those threads that go round and round and always come down to the same few points. And everyone gets all fluffed up, until someone comes and sprays everyone's feathers down with mineral water.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bettie, good luck.

Debio, you are on your own there. :)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
dude... .I'm sorry... but I'm not goin' in those waters. Not for nobody, no how.

I just get so frustrated at those threads that go round and round and always come down to the same few points. And everyone gets all fluffed up, until someone comes and sprays everyone's feathers down with mineral water.

Bettie, good luck.

Debio, you are on your own there. :)

See, that proves you are all smarter than me. :D

No worries. I'm a good boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.