So, what was your room like when you were a child?

David Conner

Wake up, my dear. We're home!
Registered
Reaction score
What my room was like when I was a child

My room was well ventilated when the wind was blowing straight down through the hole in the concrete ceiling, and when the tide was out it was dry.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Room? I slept on a sofa in the living room of our four-room house throughout my childhood, until I moved out at the age of 19, my sophomore year in college. The concept of having "my own room" didn't even occur to me until then, and even then, I had a roommate, a heavyweight wrestler.

caw

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
We didn't have 'room's when I was a kid. We had a ditch, in the ground, all sixteen of us. And we slept on broken glass. ANd we were grateful.

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt. "

MPFC Four Yorkshiremen

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hah! At least you got to eat bread! If we were lucky, we could lick the road on the way to work, and we liked it. And our dad was too tired, so he'd make us whip ourselves.

Anyway, that was all before the ditch burned down and we had to live between two lanes of traffic, all thirteen of us.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
My room was loaded with kids...
We were 5 children , 2 parents and various foster children.. usually 3 children per bedroom. Never left much room for playing so it remained tidy

It was simple, beds and dressers.. no televisions or video games...

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
My room was downstairs, beside the furnace room. The window was at ground level, hidden behind a few scruffy shrubs. I used to come in at the appointed time, which was eleven o'clock, and then when everyone was asleep I would go out again, leaving the window very slightly ajar so I could pull it open when I got home.

It was also very good for smoking. I just hung out the window so the smell didn't permeate the room.

The room itself was about eight feet by nine feet - big enough for a bed and a dresser and some bookshelves over the bed. It was always tidy because there was no room on the floor to drop anything without stepping on it.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Mine was neat and tidy until I hit about 17 then it was declared a disaster.

Now, it's neat and tidy again. I make my bed everyday too.

And you?

When I was 7 years old, my room was easy to get in and out of, as long as you knew where the paths were located. I had everything neatly figured out until my Mother demanded I put my toys away. Drat!

Up until I was about 16, my room was pretty much a mess. In my teenage years, I started taking the time to actually put things away. These days, though, my room is smaller than a jail cell (studio apartment bonus room, to be exact) and there isn't much room for the bed and the dresser, let alone a mess.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
My childhood room was PINK. Pink walls, pink carpet, pink beddings, pink toys, pink and white furniture, even the pictures had pink frames. Which is why I currently hate pink. I got enough pink back then to last a lifetime.

My current room is a bit smaller, there's a desk and two bookcases and two individual beds and that's about it. There's not much space for walking around and what little space there is is covered in clean and messy clothes (you can tell the difference because the clean clothes are still folded), shoes, books, papers, newspapers, pillows, kleenex and god knows what else. Nothing's pink anymore by the way. Now it's blue and orange.