My Novel on Amazon Overwhelms Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the release of your new book! Self-promotion is something that scares me, but I haven't finished a book yet. One hurdle at a time.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
I shouldn't be so timid about promoting BAD DAD because I used to be a successful book publicist. But doing it for myself is another story!

In any event, I decided to start out by notifying people I know; someone just wrote back saying she ordered a copy! That's exciting! My first sold copy!

I've also made announcements on Twitter.

I am also offering some people who have been very nice to me in the past complimentary copies.

I now have to figure out how to attract book reviews!

Scribelady

Amazon: http://goo.gl/Aelxc1

Twitter.com/alice shane

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
You can submit to blogs that take your genre. Some bloggers are picky and don't take self-published books, but no worries. There are in fact some out there that do.

Maybe google to find blog review sites that accept your genre. I hope this helps. Congrats too btw!!!! Good Luck with it.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Congrats and welcome to the club! :)

Get yourself on Goodreads. Join the groups in your genre and interact with people there. Offer your book free in exchange for an honest review to those readers.

If you have a paperback of your book, do a Goodreads giveaway. That will get your name out there & get people to add your book on their "to read" shelf. Their friends will see they added it and then that'll get you even more exposure! It could lead to sales and more reviews.

Do a blog tour on blogs of your genre and that may or may not get you some reviews.

Good luck!

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions.

I just found out that BAD DAD is on Goodreads - and someone has already offered to review it! I had no idea it was on that site. The distributor of my novel, E-Bookit, must have put it there.

Scribelady

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Like most activities, the more you do it the easier it gets. Presumably you're in this for the long haul and want to be more than a one-hit wonder.

SentaHolland

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sentaholland.wordpress.com
congratulations! I find it very difficult too. But it's necessary!
Since you are a publicist, you probably know a lot better what you are doing than I did...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Every time this thread comes up on my screen I wonder why I'm being shouted at.

Scribelady, is there any reason you typed the thread-title in all caps? If not, you could perhaps edit it into upper and lower case...

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
You are not alone with the nerves, Scribelady! It's much easier to talk about other people's stuff than your own. They say the more often you do it, the easier it gets.

Good luck!

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon Has Reduced Price of my BAD DAD Novel

Hi, Everyone,

I just noticed that Amazon has reduced the price of my novel, BAD DAD, which has been up and running since October 10th.

I originally priced it at $3.99. They have now reduced it to $3.03. How come? i don't understand.

Can anyone explain?

Amazon:

http://goo.gl/Aelxc1

Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23371144-bad-dad?ac=1

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
They're price matching Google Play.

Self-pubbers often get around this loss of income from Amazon sales by pricing higher on Play and expecting the discounting to get it back about where they want.

You're through some 3rd party publisher which means you could be in the excellent position where you get paid for your list price regardless, or in the lousy position where you're making less than expected on each Amazon sale and have no way to control Play pricing independently. Which it is depends on the agreement between your publishing service and Amazon.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
If you can somehow get the price at Google Play changed, the price you need is $5.18. That should (according to my sources) end up with a discounted price of $3.99.

Was just playing around with Google Play yesterday. Seems under $2.99 it's not an issue, but above it is. My note here says Google Play does a 23% price cut, so maybe you can use that to calculate the price you need. The $5.18 number is from a list someone had put together and posted elsewhere.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
You might need to get in touch with your e-book distributor and let them know about the price difference. It would also be prudent to figure out exactly where they've uploaded and listed it so you can stay on top of everything.
Also, congrats on self-publishing!

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the release! I know how you feel about promoting. I contacted book review sites, some responded some didn't. As other suggested, doing a giveaway on Goodreads at least gets your book a bit more exposure and people will add it to their TBR list. That doesn't always translate to sales, but it's something.

I also broke down and paid for a blog tour a few months back. Again I got some exposure, and a mini spike in my sales.

Best of luck on your journey!

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
If you can somehow get the price at Google Play changed, the price you need is $5.18. That should (according to my sources) end up with a discounted price of $3.99.

Was just playing around with Google Play yesterday. Seems under $2.99 it's not an issue, but above it is. My note here says Google Play does a 23% price cut, so maybe you can use that to calculate the price you need. The $5.18 number is from a list someone had put together and posted elsewhere.

The discount depends on the price of your book as well it seems.

My book is $7.99
They discounted it by 23% so I raised the price. The new discount was only 20%, so I lowered the price...

Now it's listed at $9.99 and discounted to $7.99

sabindanjoup

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the release!
I would feel overwhelmed too if I had to do all that work. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
I hope your book does well. :)

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
I've just got Lazarus Tree paperback on Amazon for 11.99. All the posts have been helpful. Thanks

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
Some info that might be useful. Amazon price for Lazarus Tree is same as price I set on Lulu: $11.99. For paperback. No discount. Other web sites offer from $10.99 to $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.