• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Do I need a writing editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theorange

Rebellious philosopher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.siftingtothetruth.com
I'm writing a nonfiction philosophical self-help book. I'm in an early-draft stage, and what I'm finding is that it's so freeform that I don't know quite whether my edits are improving things. I'm not getting any feedback, so I feel like I'm hitting tennis balls, but there's just no response. No wall, no partner, no nothing. It's all so silent out there!

I really need someone to act as an informed and literate sounding board and reader... someone who could understand my project, help me shape its concept, and help me understand how it does or does not accord with what the publishing world looks for.

I feel like this is more than a simple crit request would involve, and even, if I'm not mistaken, more than what a beta reader could provide.

I need someone willing to read some long kind of dense material, comprehend it, and help me step out of my head and see my project from a more objective point of view.

What's my best bet here? A freelance editor? A writing coach? A writing buddy? And for any of these what's the best way of finding someone I'd click with?

Last edited:

_Jinx_

Registered
Reaction score
I would say a buddy - if you want I could be a beta reader for you.

For finding someone who would be appropriate to work with...

What genre do you write (specifically this story)?

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
"philosophical self-help book" That's a really broad spectrum. For beta readers: If you have credentials, then you might look to others in your field. If not, then maybe others who have similar interests (but you risk the echo chamber effect).

"What the publishing world looks for" -- have you approached agents or "the publishing world" with your project? I know in the technology industry, people work with publishers in advance of the final book (at least for the ones that I've edited or contributed to). That might at least get you to an outline of your thesis and how you intend to support it.

I've edited a book on leadership that was a massive rambling mess more appropriate as a series of blog rants than a contribution to the art of leadership. So, you're wise to look for at least some sort of third to read through it.

I *think* that once you have the content completed, you would be looking for a copy editor (after line edits).

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mind posting a little more details about the philosophy that you're exploring?

theorange

Rebellious philosopher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.siftingtothetruth.com
Jinx -- thanks for your offer. When the book's at the beta stage I may take you up on your offer. It's going to be a philosophical self-help book...

Fins_Left:

If you have credentials, then you might look to others in your field. If not, then maybe others who have similar interests (but you risk the echo chamber effect).

Good suggestion. I have to think about this. People in my field might be a little difficult, because I'm bridging different fields in a somewhat idiosyncratic fashion. And then as you say there's the echo chamber thing to think about.

have you approached agents or "the publishing world" with your project?

But should I be pitching them so early, even when these early drafts could change rather dramatically? Is that kind of pitch recommended?

Or is there a "not-quite-pitching-yet" "work with me to figure this out" type relationship that people can get agents to have with them?

I've edited a book on leadership that was a massive rambling mess more appropriate as a series of blog rants than a contribution to the art of leadership.

Exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about.

Do you mind posting a little more details about the philosophy that you're exploring?

Sure. I'm linking up lessons from eastern philosophy, psychology and psychoanalysis, literature, and literary theory in my own individual framework. I argue for a certain kind of worldview, and counterintuitive answers to common psychological problems people have. And so far, I've been trying to show this all as part of my own spiritual/philosophical journey... to show how I obtained various answers with at least some life context.

The thing is a lot of the above topics are very esoteric. I want to keep their basic ideas, which can be somewhat complex, but also render them applicable and comprehensible to the reasonably educated lay reader.

dawookie

Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, you should sell a non-fiction book via your credentials and an outline. I'm pretty sure it was said in one of Noah Lukeman's books (How to Land and Keep a Literary Agent or How to Write a Great Query Letter, that there's basically no point in actually writing a non-fiction book before it's sold. I write fiction, so I kind of brushed past the non-fiction stuff, but, if you haven't checked out Lukeman's stuff, you should. You can get the Query Letter book free from Amazon.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Good suggestion. I have to think about this. People in my field might be a little difficult, because I'm bridging different fields in a somewhat idiosyncratic fashion. And then as you say there's the echo chamber thing to think about.

Even if people in the field don't buy into what you're asserting, it will certainly tighten up your book by being able to counter the most likely objections :)

But should I be pitching them so early, even when these early drafts could change rather dramatically? Is that kind of pitch recommended?

Or is there a "not-quite-pitching-yet" "work with me to figure this out" type relationship that people can get agents to have with them?
I can't answer this, I've never been involved at that point. Someone else above has given good advice?

Sure. I'm linking up lessons from eastern philosophy, psychology and psychoanalysis, literature, and literary theory in my own individual framework. I argue for a certain kind of worldview, and counterintuitive answers to common psychological problems people have. And so far, I've been trying to show this all as part of my own spiritual/philosophical journey... to show how I obtained various answers with at least some life context.

The thing is a lot of the above topics are very esoteric. I want to keep their basic ideas, which can be somewhat complex, but also render them applicable and comprehensible to the reasonably educated lay reader.

I can totally understand why you're feeling like you might be "floating." Finding and expressing the harmony between multiple established phylosophies in a way that ADDS to the body of knowledge is a toughie sometimes.

All I can say is to lay out your reader's path to understanding, then focus on keeping that path clear and comfortable for them so they can reach the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.