Writing a script for improvisation

peppers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eyeofthegamer.co.nr
Hey, I have been thinking about shooting a short film and having most of it improvised. I thought I should come up with a story and a short script with just examples of topics for each scene. Do you guys have any suggestions for writing a script that is meant to be mostly ignored and improvised?

Raghu

Slumdog Screenwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Hey peppers,

Hey, I have been thinking about shooting a short film and having most of it improvised. I thought I should come up with a story and a short script with just examples of topics for each scene. Do you guys have any suggestions for writing a script that is meant to be mostly ignored and improvised?

You want samples of scripts that are meant to be mostly ignored i.e, crappy scripts ? I can give you 10 in a day if you want me to, and there is this guy who can give you 500 scripts in a day ! :D

All the best.

Raghu.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

See if you can get your hands on a script for one of the many improv TV shows based on the idea of a group of commuters in a train car. The original seems to have been in Poland, but the Australian version was called "Going Home" and the Canadian version "Car 48". Apparently, Showtime's going to do a US version called "Bar Car".

peppers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eyeofthegamer.co.nr
See if you can get your hands on a script for one of the many improv TV shows based on the idea of a group of commuters in a train car. The original seems to have been in Poland, but the Australian version was called "Going Home" and the Canadian version "Car 48". Apparently, Showtime's going to do a US version called "Bar Car".

I actually remember that Car 48 show. I use to watch it. Thanks, I completely forgot about it. I will try to find a script.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I would just write a list of scenes and the plot points/beats/whatever it's necessary to hit in those scenes. I've been thinking about doing an improvised short myself.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I must be too much of a control freak because I have the movie already in my head, I want it to look and sound like that, so I put it on paper as best I can to relay what I see, so that I can share my vision.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang-on. 'Going Home' certainly wasn't improvised.

Sure, the scripts were written, filmed and shown in a single day, but it wasn't improvised ... there were definitely scripts - and even rehearsals.

I saw the bit on there being a Polish 'original' but I hadn't heard of it before. I've dropped a quick email to one of the writers to see if it is accurate.

Mac

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the bit on there being a Polish 'original' but I hadn't heard of it before. I've dropped a quick email to one of the writers to see if it is accurate
A quick followup. I got a reply email (within minutes! .. if only producers replied as quickly as writers do!)

Hi Mac

No, Going Home was an original idea developed by the McElroys. Perhaps there was a Polish series that was similar but we were certainly not made aware of it. They subsequently sold the idea internationally and there are now versions around the world ..
(He comments on one of the differences )
"Bar Car": It has a later time slot and uses comedians as its key characters ...

Last edited:

Woodsie

I have tendencies.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.graceisforsinner.com
As someone from the acting side, I would just put them in situations and guide them, roughly, to a general point. Start at this location, with these characters and have a point so that they can hit a spot and then move forward to the next, you set the plot and characters, they find out how those characters act in the situations and how they get from point a to point b. HTH.