• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Noble Romance Publishing

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
No cover art or interior layout? I got those.

They provide cover art interior layout, isbn, various e-book formats the usual things one would expect.

Amazon lists Noble POD at $10--14.

$24 is high. How many pages was it? I have a 400 page historical EC lists at $18.98

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For their books or themselves?

SamhainMoon

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't submitted to them yet...I recently heard there were some issues with royalties not being paid...and emails not being answered. Not sure how true any of it is.
I did however have some commuications with Jill Noble. She sent me a sample contract to review and she was open to negotiations. I got a favorable impression of them overall.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I haven't submitted to them yet...I recently heard there were some issues with royalties not being paid...and emails not being answered. Not sure how true any of it is.
I did however have some commuications with Jill Noble. She sent me a sample contract to review and she was open to negotiations. I got a favorable impression of them overall.

I have a few books there, one since they started and in those few years royalties have always been paid in a timely fashion. The few ( maybe four that I recall since '08) unexpected delays have been announced on the authors' list and taken care of within a day or two.

However, timely replies to email in some cases is a problem.

Erastes

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Jill Noble Quits Noble Publishing

Jill Noble sent this message to her authors today: I for one will be asking for my rights back, immediately. There's been smoke at Noble for a long while.

“Well, I want you all to know, I tried. I really did try - and for a little bit, I thought I'd succeeded, and I'd soon obtain full control of the company so I could resolve many of the problems we've had and take NRP to the next level. Unfortunately, the light I saw at the end of the tunnel turned out to be a freight train.

“Effective immediately, but after much thought, I have decided to part ways with Noble Romance Publishing. I have many powerful. legitimate reasons for doing so, but suffice to say, the owner and I have major differences in how we believe we should run the company and how we should treat our authors and freelance workers, and our visions for the company's future are miles apart. This, in addition to him making it literally impossible for me to do my job and do it well, has led me to make this very painful decision. Barring a miracle or some other form of Divine Intervention, Lisa Collicutt's book, The Devil's Flower, is the last one I'll work on/release for Noble Romance Publishing. I'll have the book uploaded and live in just a bit. After that, I'm done.

“At this moment, I do not know what the owner's plans are, as far as the company's immediate future is concerned. I'm pretty sure he'll keep it up and running, in some form, so he can earn back some of his initial investment. I, on the other hand, only invested years of my life, my talent, my expertise, and my hard labor, and so I don't imagine there is any way I'll recoup my contribution. ;-) I'm not concerned about that, though. For me, this has always been a labor of love. I've met a lot of really wonderful, talented people (and let's face it - a few crazy ones, too, lol), and up until this past year, I never looked on my position here as a "job." Jobs are never this fun. To say I've enjoyed working with you sounds like such a cliche, but I promise you, it's true. I'm hoping many of you will want to keep in touch and maintain a friendship on some other level. On the bright side, I can now review your books without being accused of practicing favoritism.

“I'm sure, at some point soon, the owner or one of his assistants will be in contact with the authors to let them know what to expect. I'm certain they will honor all contract terms, and there's always the possibility they'll hire someone else to do my job. Meanwhile, if you have questions or concerns specific to NRP or NYA, I recommend you contact [email protected].

“I sincerely apologize for the fact that my parting ways with NRP will no doubt disrupt some of your lives, to one degree or another. I hope you're treated fairly; I believe you will be. You all have contracts; follow them to the letter, and you'll be fine.

“As for myself, I'll be moving on and doing my own thing. I feel like I have a lot to offer when it comes to assisting authors in polishing their manuscripts, advising them on their careers, and assisting them in achieving their goals. I'll also be available as an e-publishing/self-publishing consultant, and I intend to do more ghostwriting. But most importantly, I'm going back to writing. I've neglected my own characters for far too long. If there's one bright spot in all of this, my having time to write is it.

“I wish all of you nothing but success. If there's anything I can do for you, personally, please let me know. You can reach me here for a little while, but I'll be phasing out this email address and moving all my important folders [email protected] in the near future“

“Oh, and please, if you know anyone who needs to be made aware of this, but they are for some reason not on the authors' loop, please pass this along.

“Take care, and Kind Regards,

“Jill N. Noble Freelance Editor, Ghostwriter, Author”

RiptidePublishing

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Erastes.

I'm a Noble Publishing author myself (this is Aleksandr Voinov, not "Riptide"), and the promised paper books never manifested and royalties have been paid later and later each month for about a year now.

I just called the number given on the contract, but Sara (who is the lady processing payments) was already off work, and Jim Noble, quoting the operator of "Noble Systems" (which seems to be owning the offices) "is not taking calls."

So it looks like we've moved from one owner who's not communicating to the other owner who doesn't care enough to even answer the phone.

Meanwhile, other Noble Authors are considering a class action law suit.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Starting to see rumblings on Twitter about Noble Romance. To the authors caught in this mess: you have my sympathies. I was in the AMP implosion last year, so I get what you're going through right now. I hope you get your rights reverted ASAP.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The best thing for the Noble authors to do RIGHT NOW is to set up your own loop to discuss strategies and planning. That's what we did last year with the AMP debacle and it proved invaluable to all the authors and staff.

And I'm sorry this is happening to you guys; believe me--I know how bad this sucks.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I have one stand-alone short story with Noble and left the now-defunct authors' loop over a year ago, so I just now found out about this via Teddypig's link on Twitter.

Could someone who's a member of the author-run loop please private-message me? I'm going to want to try to get my rights back on that story...

Erastes

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Letter from Faith Fredin. Nothing from "Jim Noble" yet

Dear Noble Romance Authors,

As some of you may know, yesterday, with only a few hours notice Jill Shearer resigned her duties and then proceeded to post a "farewell" message on a NRP author web site.

Although she directed authors in this message to contact [email protected] she did not copy Sara nor anyone else nor did she perhaps realize that Sara is on vacation this week.

Understandably, this has caused some alarm and concern.

The most urgent concern seems to be that Jill's departure will somehow mean that authors will not continue to be paid their royalties due on their book sales.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The royalty payments which usually are sent out around the 20th to 25th of the month have not yet been sent out this month ONLY due to the fact that Jill did not provide the necessary royalty reports prior to her resignation.

This will mean that these royalty reports, unfortunately, will have to be compiled by others who do not have the same experience doing them and it will take until possibly the end of next week to have them completed properly, particularly with Sara's vacation schedule.

We can assure you that promptly upon their completion, the royalty checks and PayPal payments will be sent and future payments will be sent in a timely manner.

I know that many of you have worked with Jill for many years and many of you still may have a personal relationship with her.

We are sad to see her go and we wish her the best success in whatever she decides to do.

We also know that at times some of you have not been pleased with your business relationship with Jill and for those of you we will seek to repair those relationships and proceed forward in a more positive manner.

By early next week we will have a new management structure in place and will send another email update to keep you informed.

In the meantime, if you have specific questions or issues, please email me directly and I will try to respond in a prompt and professional manner.

Kindest Regards,

Faith Fredin
Noble Romance Publishing

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I would personally find it a bit worrisome that the writer of the last letter is blaming someone else for the lack of royalty payments. Let us be blunt here: if a publisher is not paying its authors' royalties or its staff's salaries, that responsibility doesn't lie at the feet of an EIC. The PUBLISHER, the OWNER is solely responsible for getting the correct and accurate royalties to the authors in a timely fashion, as stipulated by the language of their contract. Period.

Anytime that publisher/owner starts looking for scapegoats or making excuses, it's most definitely NOT a good thing.