Lost opportunities...

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting this mostly just to get it off my chest, sort of as a means of processing. Please feel free to chime in with your experiences.

A few weeks ago I replied to a Ghost Writer ad on craigslist. It was actually for an Associate Writer position, for a ghost writer who had so much work he needed help. Being an earnest newbie, I wrote a personalized cover letter and sent along a good variety of samples.

Much to my surprise, just last week I got a reply saying that out of dozens of respondents I had been selected for a sort of "interview". I submitted the additional prompt-based, time sensitive writing sample that was requested and held my breath...and I've been waiting for exactly a week now. I am coming to terms with the real possibility that this is not going to be my first Big Break. I called the ghost writer this morning and he said if I called back in a day he would "have time to chat" but I am anticipating a rejection.

I'm working on spinning this in a positive light and just keeping at it but...honestly... I REALLY wanted this one. I feel like I came so close. Trying hard to believe that there will be other great opportunities in the future.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Bettedra,

Just remember, sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. So even if nothing comes of this, at least count it as a victory in networking.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope for the best. Keep us informed on what you hear. If you don't get it at least you tried, kudos for that!

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement!

I called the guy today and it turns out he hasn't even read the samples yet. He has set aside time this weekend to read and respond to everyone's submissions. And he really liked my enthusiasm and persistence!

So for now, hope lives!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
He hasn't had time to read the time sensitive sample? Sounds like a scam to get free writing - it's really common. Of course, the phone contact is not so common, so maybe this is the 1/1000. I wish you luck.

KathrynLang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SnarkyRainbows.com
The more you learn the more you will know. Stepping out is NEVER a failure - so good for you for stepping out. Keep pursuing opportunities with boldness and you will find doors will start to open!