G'Day

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers mate.

Good work, stick with it.

Once you get through uni everything will be sweet. Life begins haha.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
A warm welcome to the new folks.

It must be almost spring time, because I've been spending much more time outside, preparing the garden and collecting acorns for seedlings.

Cliff - uni will be over before you know it. Enjoy it while you can.

Big wave hello to everyone else.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally burnt out on Uni right now. Looking forward to the mid-semester break!

Over the Christmas break, I'm hoping to get a lot of writing done. Haven't had the time lately...

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I found the Australia thread! :)
Hi, I'm linkonrad.
I hail from Adelaide, currently in second-year uni, and writing as a hobby at the moment.

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm studying psychology at the moment.

I used to write only fantasy and sci-fi, but now I'm experimenting with different genres and stories.

How about you? :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy mostly... Some thriller, erotic or comedic elements, depending on what piece we're talking about.

And I'm studying an Arts Degree: double major and a minor, philosophy, creative writing, and sociology.

Kind of a mixed bag, really. :tongue I'm not sure which will be my minor... Haven't had to declare my majors yet, so I'm still undecided.

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda the way I approach writing at the moment. I haven't settled on any one genre or style yet, so right now I'm writing in lots of different areas.

I would have loved to have done philosophy and creative writing. (I might do a course one day when I have time + money.)

Best of luck with figuring out your minor! Getting it all sorted can be a bit stressful at times, if you're undecided.

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
Knowing what you want to do can be difficult, because sometimes people expect you to know and have made a decision right then and there. (At least, that was what I found.)

At first I was doubtful about doing psychology, because I thought I might be bored... but to my surprise, it's actually fun. So now I know what I want to do... but I still have a ton of doubts about whether I'd be a competent counsellor. Same with writing.

Maybe you never stop doubting. I think it was Neil Gaiman who said, even when he was successful, he was terrified "They" were going to come along and take away his writer's card.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. That's the problem right there.

Do I choose majors that I enjoy, or majors that will lead to a job I wouldn't mind doing?

I mean, philosophy is really interesting, but I'm not sure it'll open up many jobs. Creative writing is fun, but my preference in that is to be a published author, which will happen or not regardless of my credentials. And then there's sociology... It's intriguing, but I can't see myself being a social worker.

I need to make an appointment with a career counsellor at Uni. Hopefully they can shine some light on this dilemma...

But even so... Even if a potential job sounds great, how will I know I'll like it before doing it?

I should probably just do what seems the most interesting at the time. It's as good a plan as any. :tongue

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, philosophy is really interesting, but I'm not sure it'll open up many jobs. Creative writing is fun, but my preference in that is to be a published author, which will happen or not regardless of my credentials.

I like to think I can have both.
Writing probably won't make me money, unless I become "the next J.K. Rowling". :rolleyes: So the plan is to get a job that pays decently, and do writing on the side.

Even if a potential job sounds great, how will I know I'll like it before doing it?

Seeing a career counsellor at your uni is a good start. :)
Another thing that may help is reading books on targeting careers that will fit you. Or you could try out a personality test to see which kinds of careers would suit you. (eg. if you want something fast-paced or quiet, something outdoors or indoors, something physical vs mentally challenging.)

Anyway that's just my 2 cents! :) I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get a lot out of the creative writing course.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

I took one of those career tests in High School. This was when I wanted to be a theoretical physicist. Surprise surprise, the test results were "Scientist".

I'm pretty sure that I modify my answers based on what I think I want to do... :tongue

linkonrad

Registered
Reaction score
I have today and tomorrow on campus, then 2 weeks off!

Can't wait for the holiday! (Well... technically it's not a holiday, more like "writing assignments instead of going to lectures".)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, just found this place today.

I'm from Sydney, and was born in England.

Welcome!

Can't wait for the holiday! (Well... technically it's not a holiday, more like "writing assignments instead of going to lectures".)

Yeah, I hear that! I'm going to be editing about 15 poems and working on 2 essays in my time off... So not really a holiday. :tongue But if I can get all that done, it'll mean less stress for the rest of the semester. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

Funnily enough, the first novel I wrote was a comedic fantasy. When I submitted it for the first time ever, I knew I wanted to use a pen name, and I wanted the name itself to be a joke. Hence, Cliff Face.

When I rang that agent a month later, after they hadn't gotten back to me (apparently they sent an email the morning I rang, which I hadn't noticed at that point) I mentioned my story title and my pen name.

"Cliff Face?" said the woman. You could hear the doubt in her voice...

After that I decided maybe it wasn't the best pen name. :tongue But by that point, I had signed up on AW.

February

Registered
Reaction score
I've always used my own name, maybe I should go by something else. Ohhh, my first book is called Something Else!

Funnily enough Shades Of Grey is by EL James

I'm EA James. Have had a few funny comments from friends about that!