fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
Is that better with commas?

"Come on, man, let's go!"

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Not only is it better, but it's also correct. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another choice would be to break it up.

"Come on, man. Let's go!"

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
x2 everything said so far. "Man" is an independent clause, so it needs to be set off (one way or the other).

In this context 'man' is a vocative. :) It's a direct address to someone, albeit a general one.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Fivetoesten, Chompers is correct. We need to set off direct address in dialog with commas.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
Is this at all related to the question about vernacular? What if my character talks that way? Describe regional characteristics outside of dialog and have everybody speak like Walter Cronkite?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Not only is it better, but it's also correct. :)

Another choice would be to break it up.

"Come on, man. Let's go!"

fivetoesten, if you're looking for the grammatically correct answer only, both chompers and alleycat are correct because, as others have stated, "man" is a direct address (vocative case).

Is that better with commas?

"Come on, man, let's go!"

I see you have used an exclamation point in your original question. So, a bit more info may be necessary:

An additional consideration is the context and pacing within this scene. We know that short sentences speed the pace, while longer sentences slow the pace of a scene.

For instance--and think of a movie you might have seen with this scenario--one character is about to mix it up with another character. The first character's buddy grabs his arm and says, "Come on, man, let's go." He's attempting to reason and prevent the escalation of the confrontation, yes?

Now, another scenario: Time is of the essence--maybe the two are in the middle of a robbery, or are running from the police, etc.--and one character is trying to speed the other on his way. In that instance, you might have the character say, "Come on, man! Let's go!" The two sentences speed the pace and convey the necessary urgency.

The choice you make between the two grammatically correct answers will affect the pacing of your scene.

hth.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'd been taught that vocatives were, by definition, independent clauses. No? --Not trying to argue, this is 20 year-old book learnin'

No problems. :) The comma is recognising that who is being addressed ie 'man', is loosely tied to what is being said: "Come on." (Come on, man.)

Peripheral material like this is usually set off with commas (eg vocative case, tags (he did, didn't he?) Interjections (oh, well, erm,) supplement clause etc (As a member of the congregation, I highly recommend...)).

Vocative case is just the name given to 'direct address forms' that do two things:

1) express speaker attitude (That's good, honey; you,you pig; you, you prat; hey, Jack, hi, Jil etc)

2) managing the direction of the discourse itself (what is being said to which person).

With the likes of interjections, there's the argument that the comma be dropped according to stress: oh, I suppose v oh I suppose.

Lol, context: she be a funny madam.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
What if my character talks that way? Describe regional characteristics outside of dialog and have everybody speak like Walter Cronkite?

Your question is about punctuation, not about dialect, slang, or jargon.

No one speaks with punctuation, so 'talking that way' doesn't have anything to do with it. Punctuation is a convention of writing to help make one's meaning clear to readers.

Here's a really basic example to show what I mean:

1) Let's eat, Grandpa.

2) Let's eat Grandpa.

See how the punctuation changes the meaning and sense of the sentence? The words in these two versions would be spoken differently, with emphasis and intonation in different places. But they must be written as above so that the reader translates the words into the correct meaning.

This web page has more examples, some of them quite funny.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one speaks with punctuation, so 'talking that way' doesn't have anything to do with it. Punctuation is a convention of writing to help make one's meaning clear to readers.

:ty:, Terie. Well said, but not the best example. Grandmas taste better. :D

yn5u.jpg

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
No problems. :) The comma is recognising that who is being addressed ie 'man', is loosely tied to what is being said: "Come on." (Come on, man.)

Peripheral material like this is usually set off with commas (eg vocative case, tags (he did, didn't he?) Interjections (oh, well, erm,) supplement clause etc (As a member of the congregation, I highly recommend...)).

Vocative case is just the name given to 'direct address forms' that do two things:

1) express speaker attitude (That's good, honey; you,you pig; you, you prat; hey, Jack, hi, Jil etc)

2) managing the direction of the discourse itself (what is being said to which person).

With the likes of interjections, there's the argument that the comma be dropped according to stress: oh, I suppose v oh I suppose.

Lol, context: she be a funny madam.

Thanks. I remembered everything about vocatives. I was just saying that I was instructed that a vocative is, inherently, an independent clause and must always be treated as such (i.e., set off).