Choose one of these sentences

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score
This is out of context and the sentences look weird stand-alone.. but for various reasons I want something similar.

Disregard the tone and the voice which belong to the MC in his head.
Feel free to point out punctuation etc.

But if you just had to choose one, which of the 5 would it be?

Or, if you can get all the info in a different way into a max of 25 words that would be cool (but I might use it without credit).

Being told at twenty-three that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life didn't sound too hot.

Being told, when you are twenty-three, that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life didn't sound too hot.

Being told that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life didn't sound too hot when you were twenty-three.

Being told that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life, when you are twenty-three, didn't sound too hot.

When you are twenty-three, being told that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life didn't sound too hot.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Third one. And I think "didn't" should be "doesn't."

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
<g> I prefer number 1. It's shorter, punchier and sounds more like inner thought. And in this sentence I had no problem with *didn't* .

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I'm wrestling a little bit with the "didn't" and "you" aspect, because if the writer makes the statement with regard to "you" instead of himself, it becomes an abstract truth, not an event. We just had a ridiculously long back and forth thread on that issue, but the temporal statement for "you" is probably present tense, although it would be past tense for "I."

So if you want to keep it "when you're 23" it needs to be "being told... doesn't"

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about any of them because they all make it seem as if it's the "being told" that's not too hot rather than the "taking the rest of your life to learn to cope" that's not too hot.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm not crazy about any of them because they all make it seem as if it's the "being told" that's not too hot rather than the "taking the rest of your life to learn to cope" that's not too hot.

But also this.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hearing that 'learning to cope could take the rest of your life' isn't too hot when you're twenty-three.

18 words

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I was 23. "Learn to cope" wasn't what I wanted to hear.
(I'm assuming that context will tell me what you are supposed to cope with. I also assume it's something more serious than a request to help with the laundry.)

Last edited:

oakbark

Registered
Reaction score

Good catch. :) The purpose of the sentence is to transmit the MC's displeasure with both, being told and what they are telling him.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If knowing he's twenty-three isn't completely necessary right at that point in the story, this might a viable way of saying it.

Realizing you'll be old before you learn how to cope sucks when you're young.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
At twenty three I was told that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of my life. That didn't sound too hot.

or

It's not too hot to be told at twenty three that ‘learning to cope’ could take the rest of your life

or

At twenty three they said that learning to cope could take the rest of my life. Yeah, right.

or

Learning to cope could take the rest of your life. It's not too hot to be told that when you're twenty three.