Lurid Sensationalism or Just the News? (Warning: Image May Offend)

Take the Photo or Save A Life: Choose.

• Take the Photo. Do Your Job.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Forget the Photo. Be A Human Being and Try to Help.

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • In the same position I don't know how I would react.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, most of us are action heroes in our fantasies and frozen by fear and indecision when the deal actually goes down.

This is so true.

I always hear people talk about how they would react if someone broke into their home. My husband and I are guilty of that. It's always a hypothetical, if...then I.... type of statement.

About 5 years ago, someone did come in our house at about 2 in the morning. We have a two story, and he was all the way upstairs before we knew what was happening. My husband has always said, "I'd have no problem shooting someone in my house."

Well, when the moment actually came, he had a gun in his hand, pointed at this person, but thankfully didn't pull the trigger. He's had a gun pointed at him before, and said he doesn't remember which was worse, pointing it at someone, or being threatened with one. He also said a million different things ran through his mind; if I shoot will it go in the neighbors house? What if I miss? What if he has a gun? Who is this person? Is he really here to hurt us?

His first instinct was to slow the situation down, and find out what was hapenning. Things are so different in real life, than in all the hypotheticals we imagine.

That being said, I still can't understand how no one reached out a hand to this man. It's a different situation than the one I just described. I can't imagine the fear he felt, or the panic as he tried to get off the tracks, and he saw his fellow human beings running away.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The articles have mentioned that it took seconds for the train to hit.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I think the people around him would have helped if they had a bit more time to think. They'd been trying to keep away from a violent, aggressive man, and they didn't have much of a chance to realise what was going on and try to help.

There've been plenty of stories in the past where NYers have made it in time and saved lives, and even in this story a young Doctor was on the scene immediately to try and help.

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
Ok, I have been both photographer and news editor so I will put my two cents in.

First, I agree with this 100%:

John Long, NPPA: “Your job as a human being, so to speak, outweighs your job as a photojournalist”

I would hope that if I had ever been in that situation, that I would have tried to pull the guy out of there instead of shooting his death. But I do understand that the shock of seeing what had happened would have delayed anyone from immediately responding. Still, I would hope someone there was at least moving toward helping in those finals seconds.

And if I had been on the copy desk at the NY Post there is no way in hell that photo gets published on my watch.

Shame on the Post and shame on anyone who agrees with their decision.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wonder if the willingness to help might be biased by reports the victim was in a bit of an argument just beforehand. So maybe people were not 100% sure how he would react. A small person could easily end up down there with him rather than getting him out.

Not an admirable thought, but it probably goes into the unconscious processing.

I wonder way the track doesn't have a trench or overhang you could try and shelter in in an emergency like this?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the willingness to help might be biased by reports the victim was in a bit of an argument just beforehand. So maybe people were not 100% sure how he would react. A small person could easily end up down there with him rather than getting him out.

Not an admirable thought, but it probably goes into the unconscious processing.

I wonder way the track doesn't have a trench or overhang you could try and shelter in in an emergency like this?

I thought the same thing about a trench, steps, or a small utility ladder. Anything to help someone escape from that hole.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The articles have mentioned that it took seconds for the train to hit.

I heard a minute. Which has me scratching my head as to why he couldn't be saved. I understand that people freeze up in such situations...but a minute's an awful long time.

And even if no one physically tried to rescue him....
Isn't there some kind of emergency button to press on the platform? Intercom system to talk to tranit officials? (There is in Toronto) Seems to me that a minute is enough time to stop the train. If not, it should be.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
With regards to the African child story, I would ask how many such cases exist within a visible periphery, and what could the journalist do? Feed the child what--something too rich to eat? Take the child to a shelter that already dos not have enough resources? The quests ns are easy ; the answers are much more difficult. I have travelled extensively in "developing countries" and who worked in health care for said places. A photograph that stimulates people to give may be far more effective than saving be life at a time. It's a harsh reality.

With regards to the train photo, no, I wouldnot have run it. It's a question of benefit v effort. I might have flashed my camera ad nauseum at the train operator, but more likely my camera would have shattered while I tried to help. Then again, I am an obscurely known writer and will probably never be a bestseller. Go figure.