Does an e-textbook for my online class help or hurt my platform?

weezwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
Maybe the wise editor can help me with a question. :) I tried posting this on the nonfiction board, but someone suggested I might get better information here.

I have more than a decade of experience as a reporter and public relations pro specializing in fiction authors. I recently launched a series of online classes, and in the feedback forms for my inaugural course, many of my "troops" said that class would have been a lot easier and might attract more people if I offered a "text book" in an e-book format. They could download it once, rather than messing around with new files with each lecture.

It's an interesting idea that would, indeed, make for a more organized class. But I wonder if publishing an e-book for purposes of my class might hurt my chances of achieving my real goal: To publish traditionally. The classes are one piece of my business plan to further build my platform so that I have a better shot of publishing my work-in-progress on PR tips for fiction authors.

So my question is: Would the fact that I had an "e-textbook" in my past send the wrong message to a traditional publisher? Or could it add to my platform? Obviously, the textbook for my class would be substantially shorter -- all worksheets, no instruction -- than my traditional book.

Thanks for any advice!
Louise

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
But I wonder if publishing an e-book for purposes of my class might hurt my chances of achieving my real goal: To publish traditionally.

If the e-book is what you want to sell, then yes. It may be considered published.

You're in a gray area if it is the same book, but with new material added to it.

If the book you want to sell is wholly different (fiction, cookbook, whatever), then no.

I hear the word "platform" used now and then. Is that what we used to call a "writing resume"?

If so, then the best way to build it up is sell stuff. Sales to other print publications count. Cranky, curmudgeonly, anti-social editors like myself are slow to take any e-published piece seriously even if it does sell well. But that's just me. Grr. Snort. Growl. :tongue

Thought Leadership

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TLIRGroup.com
Why call it an e-book?

If the term e-book is too close to what you aspire through traditional channels then change the term and the descriptive.

E.G: If you created an 'interactive curriculum through virtual channels' this does not necessarily imply an e-book...;) although it could well be if one were to probe deeper...does this matter?