Flash Drive Removal

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
I have to use a PC running Windows XP in my web apps class. I have no admin rights. But I have to ask: Is there a cure for the dreaded "I 'can't' remove 'generic' device right now" message? This is even when I use the remove safely box and specify the named drive. I also use my mac (I don't have all the programs, but I do have control) and sometimes switch files back and forth. Mac only gives the message when something is open. But the PC give me the message even when the drive isn't in use.:Hammer: l end up having to turn the darned thing off completely to retrieve the drive.

I read this was common with Windows XP, did anyone ever find a solution?
I have visions of a Star Wars Imperial Walker crushing it flat - that's how frustrated I get!

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a problem when windows doesn't properly register whether the drive is in use. Or rather, when the program that did use it doesn't properly report no longer using it. If the LED on the flashdrive isn't on, just pull it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
When you use the files on the drive, do you open the programs they need beforehand, or via opening the file? That is, if you've got a .pdf on the drive, do you open the reader first and then the file, or open the file to start the reader?

I've found that when I open the file to start the reader, the reader is connected to that file, and even if I close the file I'll get "can't move file" and "drive still in use" messages until I close the reader, too.

It's also happened when I left File Explorer open to the drive. :Hammer:

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
I open the programs first (and it's very slooooow about loading those as it is.) My previous flash drive for class went kerblooey for no apparent reason - once it just gave me an unformatted message - when it worked fine a minute ago - and once it crashed and when I put it back in the Mac my finder went crazy. So I'm highly distrustful of this PC, I don't know what it's doing but it's a real pain.

nonantroll

Registered
Reaction score
There should be an option in Device Manager to turn of the caching to your flash drive. Then you can ALWAYS remove it if the light's off.

Also, make sure that any program that used a file on your flash drive has been terminated, and that you don't still have a directory open on it.

Upgrading to SP3 might fix this problem.
Then again, it might add new ones.
The SP3 (System Pack 3) is a free Microsloth download. I suggest you download it, even if just for future use, before Billious Gates removes all support for XP.

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
There should be an option in Device Manager to turn of the caching to your flash drive. Then you can ALWAYS remove it if the light's off.

Also, make sure that any program that used a file on your flash drive has been terminated, and that you don't still have a directory open on it.

Upgrading to SP3 might fix this problem.
Then again, it might add new ones.
The SP3 (System Pack 3) is a free Microsloth download. I suggest you download it, even if just for future use, before Billious Gates removes all support for XP.

Herein lay the real problem. No matter what solution there is lies thru the admin account, which the school techs are paranoid about letting any student into - even those specificall who need it. Honestly, you can't count on them to screw in a light bulb properly!