Not open for further replies.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Peeps! I love you all :D

Great interview, Alex!
Loads of interesting stuff about you. Magic! I tried playing that. I was rubbish and I sulked when I lost.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

And yeah, I grew up in the Ukraine. Being able to write in a language I didn't speak or begin learning until I was a teenager is likely my greatest accomplishment.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
congrats, Lillie!

Great interview, Alex. And don't be intimidated by writing a novel. You can only get comfortable with it by trying it.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone :)

Alex, I would never have believed that English wasn't your first language! That's really amazing.

Do you have a sexy Russian accent???

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a slight Russian accent. Though I've worked on improving my diction over the years, I won't be recording podcasts any time soon. And I have trouble identifying a Russian accent as sexy. Now the British accent on the other hand.... :)

And I still have occasional trouble with proper use of English tenses (as Sealey and others who've beta-read my stuff will attest to). I'm working on improving that, too.

BTW, Anatoly Belilovsky (loldoc on AW) is in the same boat as me - a Russian emigre writing and getting professionally published in English.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I've actually met several writers here like that. Not just from Russia--but all over. I didn't have the slightest idea that English wasn't their first language. In fact, I'd say most (all?) of them have a better hold of English than I do. :tongue I'm dead serious.

Something about having to *learn* it as an adult (or near adult) is different than just growing up with it. It doesn't say very much for our school systems here, though. LOL

Or possibly it doesn't say very much for my attention to English as a kid :rolleyes: :D

I'd start claiming that English was my second language if I thought I could get away with it--you know, to get me off the hook when I flub up. But all of you non-native speakers would just come along and look awesome still anyway. ;)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrtulations, Anne!

You haz sheep :D

:e2bouncey :e2bouncey :e2bouncey

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
I apologize for over-posting on this thread, but I wanted to report one more piece of good news (this one a long time in the making):

My story "Sisters' Sight," about sentient crystal siblings warring it out over their role in shaping fate, is now available in the anthology Etched Offerings, from Misanthrope Press. Use coupon code ZY82C for a big discount through Monday.
http://www.misanthrope-press.com/pages/anthologies

Clarifying: code gives you 50% off ebook via Smashwords.

Last edited:

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Congrats on the Knowonder sale, Lizardmaker, and on the release of the anthology you're in!

Status
Not open for further replies.