Your Harry Potter Opinions

MichelleJean

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever run into someone who's read both TWHF and Sandman before, much less loved them both. We are talking about Neil Gaiman's Sandman, correct?

ETA: Just checked your profile. Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors ever, along with Amy Tan. Not pure fantasy, but has some of the elements. I love, love, love Turtle Moon.

Definitely Neil Gaiman's Sandman!

Alice Hoffman's writing strikes me as so lyrical - it's beautiful. Even the way she describes death in Local Girls, is gorgeous, even though her books generally always make me cry.

I left C.S. Lewis off my favorites on my profile, I think. I need to change that - I named my youngest daughter Aravis - after Aravis in The Horse and His Boy from the Chronicles of Narnia. I read the books when I was 9 and my daughter was born when I was 32, so I think I can pretty fairly say that I am a lifelong C.S. Lewis fan!

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely Neil Gaiman's Sandman!

Alice Hoffman's writing strikes me as so lyrical - it's beautiful. Even the way she describes death in Local Girls, is gorgeous, even though her books generally always make me cry.

I left C.S. Lewis off my favorites on my profile, I think. I need to change that - I named my youngest daughter Aravis - after Aravis in The Horse and His Boy from the Chronicles of Narnia. I read the books when I was 9 and my daughter was born when I was 32, so I think I can pretty fairly say that I am a lifelong C.S. Lewis fan!

Same here, I reread Chronicles every five years or so. I'd forgotten about Aravis, but that is such a pretty name. Good choice.

On the Alice Hoffman note, I adore The River King and Blackbird House. I had trouble with Local Girls - too sad.

We should exchange book recommendations, lol.

Slamhamster

Registered
Reaction score
The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No
I quite enjoy the Harry Potter books. Whilst J.K. Rowling may not be the best writer out there, she is a damn site better then some of the authors that have ridden on her coat tails, trumpeted by deluded publishers as having written the next Harry Potter.

Yes Rick Riordan, I'm looking at you!

Magnas

Really Devious
Registered
Reaction score
When I initially picked up Sorcerer's Stone, I couldn't get past the few chapters. Her writing style reminded me of Agatha Christie's. The sentence structure read as being old fashioned and very English. It's hard to explain, but that's why I could never finish anything by Christie.

Eventually, I pushed past my dislike and now I enjoy the HP series. I prefer the movies to the books though.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The books read very episodically... Midway through any one of them and you're apt to forget just what they're supposed to be doing (this is especially true for order of the phoenix and half-blood prince) -- and with each book, the climax usually ends up with a loss, so it's very depressing reading from the outset. What I like is seeing Rowling mature as a writer across the series. The books get better as the series progresses. The characters become more complex, the stakes get higher.