Rejected, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
This is just so frustrating, and I need to vent, so here goes: I started this process three months ago, and I've sent out tons of queries, and I haven't gotten a request yet. I even had the people at SYW edit my query a week ago, and still more rejection...I just feel like giving up and going home - except, I don't want to, because then I'm not even giving my work a chance, because no one's read it yet.

I'm so frustrated. :cry:

I'm wondering if I should just self publish? I don't really want to...but, it's just...no one is ever going to read the book otherwise and having two people buy and read it from my local book store would be better than no one at all.

So frustrated...

Last edited:

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
First of all, let me hand you some chocolate. I know this part of the process is so very, very hard.

Secondly, tell us how many queries you've sent out. I sent out 76 queries in two months before I realized I had a horrid title and a lame query letter. I revised the query letter, changed the title, and queried over 150 agents (requeried all the ones I'd queried the first time around as part of that number), garnering 23 reads and two offers of representation.

Thirdly, are you including the first chapter in your queries? That seemed to help me.

Lastly, have you passed your first chapter or two through SYW or a reliable beta reader? You might need to sharpen up that first chapter to make agents request more.

I wish you all the best and hope you find success soon. Don't give up! I know it's hard!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
This is just so frustrating, and I need to vent, so here goes: I started this process three months ago, and I've sent out tons of queries, and I haven't gotten a request yet. I even had the people at SYW edit my query a week ago, and still more rejection...I just feel like giving up and going home - except, I don't want to, because then I'm not even giving my work a chance, because no one's read it yet.

I'm so frustrated. :cry:

I'm wondering if I should just self publish? I don't really want to...but, it's just...no one is ever going to read the book otherwise and having two people buy and read it from my local book store would be better than no one at all.

So frustrated...
Settle down, settle down. Three months, that's all? I hate to tell you this but that's not long, not long at all. First be sure you're querying the right people - that what you've written is a genre they represent or publish. It's far too early to think about self publishing. This is the most frustrating part of writing. You want it published and you want it published now! You think it's great, your readers think it's great so why don't they want it!!! I understand. I've been there. Take a deep breath. Do your research and keep at it. Be determined. Be patient. And good luck to you!
Linnea

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have only one thing to add to the great advice already cited. Please remember that many first novels don't get published. I hope yours is the exception, but make sure you're not sticking all those eggs in one basket. Write your next novel while you query. The query process takes FOREVER, so don't just wait around. Write, write, write.

All the best!!

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Caro girl is right, but I'll add this: about a hundred years ago a guy named George M. Cohan thought he had some great material to sell to Broadway. He was rejected or kicked out of hundred different producers offices with what they called garbage. Well, one day he lucked out and found a guy to produce his stuff who really didn't know a thing about show business. As you probably know that guy wrote Yankee Doodle Dandy, "It's a grand ol' flag", and the war theme "Over There" for which he eventually earned the C.M.H award. My point is that only you... or we... believe in our writing and it's up to us to push it and put it in front of people again and again. If you believe, then you will make someone else believe, don't let some jerk with a NO win, that's bullshit. Keep submitting... don...

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
*hands chocolate over* have some, you'll feel better. I promise.;)

okay. the good news is it's not your book. they aren't rejecting your book. which sucks, yes. but it's also good news. which means you can't give up yet.

no. we won't let you. :) more than 2 people deserve to read your book.

(you revised your query a week ago? any rejections off that version? Can you repost it, take it to crapometer, evileditor? try'em all. and Just Me has a good ques, are you including at least the first 3 pages when you can?)

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad right now. It does, it sort of beats you down. But don't give up.

Deep breath, have some more chocolate. You can and will do this. :)

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I was really upset today, and after reading everything you guys have written - and all the great suggestions - I'm almost embarrassed about how overworked I got before. But, I am glad I posted earlier, because you've all really helped. I don't know what I'd do without my fellow AWers! You guys are great! Thanks!

Just Me 2021

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This process is a roller coaster - very tough on the emotions - I put on just under ten pounds over the six months I was querying due to emotional angst (which led to eating junk food.)

Here's hoping you can resist the pantry more than I can...

Just Me 2021

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Doubtful, when I got the rejection I went and ate four doughnuts. :D[/quote]

I know.... For me it's anything sweet in the house... brownies, donuts, ice cream... as if by eating I will not stress over the waiting, waiting, waiting - that TORTUROUS waiting!

I'm hoping I'll handle submission to editors better than I did to agents. I feel much calmer right now. Kind of like selling my book is my agent's job, writing book two is my job. We'll see if this serenity lasts or if once we're on submission I'm back to crazy obsession with my email again.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Vent your feelings and let them out. Take a day or two and just totally chill. Clear you head and then come get back on the horse. Be it submitting you query or writing your next work.

We are with you.

Kevvers

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Doubtful, when I got the rejection I went and ate four doughnuts. :D
You know how guys who neck the ale a lot get 'beer bellies'? Well, I reckon we writers are very much in danger of getting 'rejection tummy' - a layer of fat, varying in size, which is a result of all the sweet stuff and gin consumed with each rejection. Mine is coming along nicely.:)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know how guys who neck the ale a lot get 'beer bellies'? Well, I reckon we writers are very much in danger of getting 'rejection tummy' - a layer of fat, varying in size, which is a result of all the sweet stuff and gin consumed with each rejection. Mine is coming along nicely.:)

Rejection tummy? :ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.