• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I searched P&E and got this:

Jennifer Carlson: $ a literary agent with Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency.

But that's about all I could find. Does anyone have personal experience, ever queried them before or know more information? I realize that finding them on agentquery and finding a "$" next to Jennifer Carlson's name on P&E is all good, but it's still very little information. I can't find a list of sales anywhere, or find anyone whose ever been agented/queried/or interacted with Ms. Carlson or any of the DC&L agents. Just wondering.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I met Henry Dunow at the Squaw Valley Writers Conference last year––a very nice guy. He reps Alice Sebold, among others. I queried him and he asked for a partial, but I never heard back. In the meantime I had other offers, so I signed with someone else.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Moores

Has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? He's a relatively new agent at Dunow, Carlson and Lerner who is building his list. He requested a partial from me after I queried Henry Dunow. Not a lot on Mr. Moores on the web, so I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to share.

DustyFeathers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm echoing the fellow above--has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? Thank you!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried the agency? Lerner wrote the fabulous Forest for the Trees but there doesn't seem to be much info about the agency.

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Henry Dunow quite recently; wouldn't have expected to hear anything this soon. I'll post if anything happens.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried the agency? Lerner wrote the fabulous Forest for the Trees but there doesn't seem to be much info about the agency.

They have a very informative website, which includes one of the most comprehensive authors lists I've ever seen.

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
Almost forgot to post this: very courteous form rejection, very prompt (snail).

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
According to AQ Jeff Moores is no longer working as an agent

ASN64

Registered
Reaction score
I worked with Jeff Moores last spring in his Literary Consultant capacity. I contacted him again about a month ago to work with him again, he was quick to respond and take money to evaluate about 70 pages, and now he doesn't respond to emails at all -- and it doesn't take a professional a month to review 70 pages. He did say he was having personal issues but assured me my project would be a priority. I was duped and hope no one else sends him money.

I had him removed from the expert list at Backspace and filed a complaint with the BBB.

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto for me too- queried begin of Sept and nothing. So, I'm assuming it's a no.

unagented4now

Registered
Reaction score
I worked with Jeff Moores last spring in his Literary Consultant capacity. I contacted him again about a month ago to work with him again, he was quick to respond and take money to evaluate about 70 pages, and now he doesn't respond to emails at all -- and it doesn't take a professional a month to review 70 pages. He did say he was having personal issues but assured me my project would be a priority. I was duped and hope no one else sends him money.

I had him removed from the expert list at Backspace and filed a complaint with the BBB.
The same thing happened to me when I paid Jeffrey Moores $200 for what he calls his Conference in a Can (editing help with my query letter and the first 20 pages of my manuscript). He was so nice and communicative when I first approached him and sent him money, but then he never edited my pages or returned my emails. I am very disappointed in Jeff Moores and I hope this does not happen to anyone else, which is why I am making this post.

unagented4now

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Jeff Moores? He's a relatively new agent at Dunow, Carlson and Lerner who is building his list. He requested a partial from me after I queried Henry Dunow. Not a lot on Mr. Moores on the web, so I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to share.
BEWARE OF JEFFREY MOORES! I paid him $200 for his Conference in a Can (editing help with my query letter and the first 20 pages of my manuscript), and he was quick to take my money but never edited the pages and never replied to my follow-up emails. Someone else here had a bad experience with Jeff Moores too... see ASN64's comment and my reply.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Any action here?

Hey all,

Has anybody heard from these guys recently? I sent a query to Jennifer Carlson at the end of January and just got a request for the first 50 pages. Just curious--anyone know what their turnaround time for partials is? Thanks!

bobo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm represented by Henry Dunow and he's fantastic. He's unbelievably busy, of course, has heaps of clients, so he's not going to do a lot of hand holding -- don't expect late night calls to discuss strategy, etc. -- but he took me on as a client on the basis of my debut novel manuscript and then he turned around and sold it to a major publisher quite quickly. He's got clout: when he went out with the book, he was able to get any editor or publisher on the phone more or less immediately and deliver the pitch, and to a person they all asked to see the book. Whole process was over in two weeks. Post sale, he got me a fantastic film rights rep in Hollywood, and has intervened on my behalf once or twice, as needed, when there were issues with my publisher. He's submitted a couple stories, too, but not very vigorously. They each have their specialty DCL, his is literary fiction.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experiences with this agency?

I e-mail queried Henry Dunow on Nov. 13, and haven't heard anything. I'll post if I get a response, but the website says they don't reply to e-mail queries they don't like, so it might be a silent no.

Vivia

Registered
Reaction score
I also queried Henry Dunow last week, but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm guessing with the holidays and all, the answer will be delayed - if it comes at all.