Casting Your Novel

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really do the book-casting thing because it messes with my writing brain...but apparently my dad's first thought when Ellen Page came out was that she'd be perfect for the MC if my lesbian boarding school book became a movie.

Haha, pretty sure Ellen Page will be out of the playing-16-year-olds game in the kerjillion years it would take for this to become a real question, and also the idea of somebody I'm super attracted to playing the mousey teenager from my brain (who I feel very oldersisterly towards) is kinda squicky, but as far as parental approval and interest in my work goes, I thought that was pretty adorable. (And he is kind of accurate that she'd be perfect, in a Dawson casting way. There's very little physical description of the MC in the book, but at one point her girlfriend gets all romantical about her eyes, and Page's would for sure justify that.)

constanceg

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I think Ellen Page has become the default "young lesbian" for a lot of people, just like Ellen and Portia are the default "middle aged lesbians." But I always enjoy her characters, so if your MC gives off Ellen Page vibes (beyond being a young lesbian), that's an excellent sign.

My MC is mixed-race, but most of the mixed-raced actresses I know of are too old to play a teenager. While I was writing I sometimes referenced Antonia Thomas if I needed to do a description, but realistically my MC is younger and has a less breathtakingly beautiful face. I like Antonia Thomas's ability to play cocky and vulnerable at the same time, though, so she made a good "placeholder."

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Jacqueline Emerson as Isabelle Cole, my MC.
jacqueline_emerson_jacqueline_emerson_EEkwPE2.sized.jpg

Leven Rambin as Cassandra Green, the love interest.
Leven-Rambin.jpg

Kara Hayward as Jenna Gold, their friend.
Kara%20Hayward-LMK-067044.jpg

LaMarcus Tinker as Anthony Sandoval, their friend and Jenna's boyfriend.
Lamarcus+Tinker+Overture+Presents+World+Premiere+l7GOMZZoqbkl.jpg

Octavia Spencer as Dr. Imogen Harkness, their mentor and drama teacher.
octavia-spencer-01.jpg

Charles Shaughnessy as Dr. Byron Harkness, their mentor and music teacher.
Charles-Shaughnessy.jpg

Allison Janney as the Hon. Charlene Cross Lydia, Cass's adopted mother.
Allison_Janney_a_p.jpg

what?

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really do the book-casting thing because it messes with my writing brain...
I feel the same. As soon as I find a real (or fictional movie) character to represent my character, this works like a magnet pulling all attempts to create a character towards what that person or character is like.

If I use Ellen Page to represent my protagonist, I cannot get away from who I perceive Ellen Page to be. And this even happens when the model is just a random image from the internet that I know nothing about: instead of developing my character, I keep forming that character to fit what I see in that face.

That's why I prefer to go without images as far as possible, and only find a fitting one once the character has been fully created.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don’t really cast my novels. My character creation process is quite organic, and it tends to happen before I even know what a story is going to be about.

At first some character will just pop into my head and start to act a certain way. I don’t see the details of the character, but that comes over time. And when that happens my characters don’t tend to look anything like glamorous celebrities in fashion magazines.

Actually, the funny thing is that this person looks quite a bit like Edward, one of my characters. But I created Edward a long time before I knew anything about this celebrity. And now this character has imposed himself on how I look at Edward when I think about him.

It’s like reading a book and having some vague idea of how a character looks, and then seeing the film off the book, and the mental image you had before is supplanted by the appearance of the actor in the film. It’s weird.

Jake_Bugg.jpg

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

I never really thought about any actor/actress/model being cast as anyone in my novels, save one. For Twisted (gender switch) the first and only person I thought of was Jenna Talackova, the Canadian Ms. Universe contestant. Once I saw a picture of her, I said to myself, "That's my Angella!" (Her male counterpart, Charlie, could be anyone, really, but I have to have Jenna as my Angella).

The image you see on the cover of Twisted sort of resembles her, but yeah, she's hot, she's my ideal for that role. No one else will do.

Hellblazer

So Say We All
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a few people I've casted for my WIP. Keeping the actors British (or having actors who have used British accents in the past) is harder than it looks, and I've made a few exceptions here and there for example Bex Taylor-Klaus, Tatiana Maslany, Mackenzie Davis & Katee Stackoff (although Stackoff's character is American anyway).

All pictures are taken from the actors/actresses IMDB Page.

Quinn Reynolds - Joe Dempsie

An extremely talented 18 year old footballer (soccer player) with a tendency to trust too easily, discovers that he's a clone and hopelessly out of his depth when he becomes framed for a murder he didn't commit.

MV5BMTY2MjkzOTcxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTg2NDg1Nw@@._V1_SY317_CR131,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Aaron Simmons - Eros Vlahos

A cool, laid-back party-goer who's Quinn's best friend. Also plays on the same football team as Quinn but is not quite at his level.

MV5BMTg5MDAyNjE3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEwNTMwOQ@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Sara Mackenzie - Bex Taylor-Klaus

A slightly older girl who's Quinn's best friend of the opposite sex but shares no romantic connection with him. Like Aaron, she attends lots of parties and is very popular in her year at College.

MV5BMjA4MjExNDU3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE5NDEyNg@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Cassandra "Cass" Blake - Mackenzie Davis

The teenage grandaughter of billionaire Sebastian Blake. Trained in several fighting styles, and knows how to disappear. If you're on the run, you want Cass as your backup. However, she's recently dealing from the death of her boyfriend Sam Oliver, another clone - when she runs into Quinn.

MV5BMTY3MTk2MDM4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE1MzMxOQ@@._V1_SY317_CR45,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Sebastian Blake - John Hurt

A scientist, developer and leading CEO of the world's most powerful company, NEXUS. His genius is unparalleled and he is ranked as one of the world's smartest men.

MV5BMTM1NTgyMTAyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE4MjQwNA@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Quinn's Foster Mother, Mrs. K. - Katee Sackoff

The elusive American foster parent of Quinn, our main character. She has secrets of her own and an engimatic past. However, she will go for any lengths to protect Quinn from harm as though he was her own child, and more than capable of holding her own in a fight.

MV5BMTExNjAyMDgxNzheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDc2OTY1NTk@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Kara Owens - Tatiana Maslany

A bisexual eccentric computer hacker, Kara is an Anti-Government adult viewed as a terrorist by those in power. There isn't anything that she can't hack into, and has run into trouble on more than one occasion.

MV5BNzg5NjE4NDgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk5OTQwMjE@._V1_SY317_CR131,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Detective James McDonnell - Idris Elba

James McDonell is a tough-as-nails cop who is capable of handling himself in almost any situation. However, he's running from a haunted past as he's desperately trying to clear his deceased former partner's name - who stumbled across something that NEXUS wanted kept secret.

MV5BNzEzMTI2NjEyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA0OTE4OA@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Anna Richards - Eve Myles

Detective McDonnell's partner, having recently transferred from a small station in Wales. Idolizing authority figures and the law, Anna has come to blows several times with McDonnell when he often uses unconventional methods to get the job done.

MV5BMTQ0MjkzNDY4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcxNDg3NQ@@._V1_SY317_CR130,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting that some people cast based on personality and some based on look. Mine were purely looks. I wouldn't want to cast based on personality for my WIP because I feel that would pigeon-hole how I see my character.

Maybe it's also because I don't pay attention to actors enough to really recognize personality traits that I feel match my characters. I just have an image in my head of what they look like and tried to find a face that somewhat matched.

Semi_Sweet

Registered
Reaction score
Logan Lerman as Kairon Vane, an 18 year old, introverted British guy taking a big leap for once in his life, an American road trip from NY to the beaches of California.

dbda4ecc9e89235eec4f4dc1e8ca5542_large.jpg

Hannah Marks as Grace Montgomery, best friend and unrequited love of Kai, also British, 17 years old, and more confident than her counterpart

hannah-marks.jpg

Daveigh Chase as Robyn, a 17 year old runaway and fugitive, trying to find her bio-dad, Kai and Grace agree to give her a ride to her destination.

600full-daveigh-chase.jpg

And they're the only characters introduced in my story so far haha. Though I am imagining Willem Dafoe as the lead in the hunt to chase down Robyn...

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I've tried casting for my novel, using models but one of my characters is Asian (specifically of Cambodian descent) and I am having the damndest time trying to find any non-sexualized Asian models. Every time I google "Asian models," it brings up links I definitely don't want in my browser history. Anybody wanna help me out? Because I've found pictures for all my other characters, except this one.

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
90683-004-DADCA605.jpg
This is Lillian Gish (silent film star) in a still from "Romola". This image is the inspiration for my main character, Princess Illana. Her mother died in childbirth and no one knows who her father is. She has been ruler of the land of Idyllwild since infancy, but has been kept secluded and safe in the northern monastery since her birth as an evil sorcerer has usurped her land. (I know it sounds a little cliche, but there's a twist...) Illana is innocent, naive, and very much a child of nature.
short-blonde-emo-hair-girl.jpg
I have no idea who this model is, but she is my vision for my other main character, Kate, who is Illana's cousin. Unlike Illana, Kate has been raised outside Idyllwild (in the real world). She is jaded, sarcastic, worldly, etc...everything that Illana is not.

I have a full notebook full of artwork that is inspiration for each character.

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I've tried casting for my novel, using models but one of my characters is Asian (specifically of Cambodian descent) and I am having the damndest time trying to find any non-sexualized Asian models. Every time I google "Asian models," it brings up links I definitely don't want in my browser history. Anybody wanna help me out? Because I've found pictures for all my other characters, except this one.
Have you tried using other phrases in your search like "Cambodian woman" or "indigenous Cambodian". I think the use of the word "model" might be skewing your search to more racy images.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same. As soon as I find a real (or fictional movie) character to represent my character, this works like a magnet pulling all attempts to create a character towards what that person or character is like.

If I use Ellen Page to represent my protagonist, I cannot get away from who I perceive Ellen Page to be. And this even happens when the model is just a random image from the internet that I know nothing about: instead of developing my character, I keep forming that character to fit what I see in that face.

That's why I prefer to go without images as far as possible, and only find a fitting one once the character has been fully created.

Yup, that's more-or-less my deal too. I've been working with this protagonist for 3 years now, so Ellen Page isn't going to interfere with what I know of her at this point. But if I was just starting and I thought "well, she looks like Ellen Page..." honest to blog I'd end up writing her dialogue straight out of Juno.

I did used to play RPGs where we used images of actors to "play" our characters, and in that context it worked for me. I think because the give and take of playing with other people's characters was a much stronger influence on me than the face in my 100x100 pixel icon. And sometimes I would intentionally choose actors I knew nothing about.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I love this thread! Look at all of the pretty people!

My WIP is firmly in MG territory, but flipping through the last several pages of this thread I'm realizing that, for the most part, I don't see my own characters as very attractive - the adults or the children.

Just as an experiment I started a picture file, and it's interesting to see how drawn I am to the faces of established British character actors! Even the ones who are attractive in a relative sense aren't beauties by any stretch of the imagination.

I wonder, if I should ever want to try my hand at YA, is over the top physical attractiveness an absolute necessity in the category?

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder, if I should ever want to try my hand at YA, is over the top physical attractiveness an absolute necessity in the category?

No, not at all. John Green and Rainbow Rowell write realistic-looking teenagers and they're doing just fine.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried using other phrases in your search like "Cambodian woman" or "indigenous Cambodian". I think the use of the word "model" might be skewing your search to more racy images.

Just posting to tell you I took your advice and finally found a picture that fit. Thank you.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
Cast your characters!

I'm sure this thread has been made before, but to hell with it. Cast your characters! What actor would play your character?

MC: Lily Page: Rocker Chick, Groupie, Bar Tender, College Dropout
Played by Krysten Ritter
13905969831.jpg

Chloe Samuels: Radio DJ, Mature, Recently Engaged, Former Rocker Chick, Lily's Best Friend

Played by: a young Debbie Harry

8daae482c127f2268cd5edd1c9a4f024.jpg

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
The only one I've ever been able to link with an actor in my head is:

Paul Fox / Apollyon - Michael Fassbender
7M2PxfC.jpg

He's my MC's father. He's also around eleven thousand years old- one of the 5 remaining members of the Endless. The trouble with casting him if it were a movie is that 80% of it would be a voice role, as his body is unraveled and he becomes trapped in the body of a house cat, fighting the resident feline spirit for control over it. Which means that almost half of that voice role would be handed over to an actual cat's meows...
I'm pretty sure I've mistreated this man.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried resizing these to 400px max. Hope it worked.

I've only cast the main three characters because they matter the most:

Sahar Bennett: disgruntled college student, photographer, and urban explorer with a taste for the macabre who finds herself stuck in 1948 without a net -- as played by Zoe Kravitz

TheHotelKincaid-SaharBennetalt02_zps9ede9e3a.jpg

Luxmie Pradhan (Shankar): the daughter of a working-class Indian expat to London, masquerading as a visiting princess and hoping no one will find out -- portrayed by a beautiful yogi who apparently nobody can name (thanks, Google)

TheHotelKincaid-LuxmieShankar_zpsa9c2efef.jpg

Katelyn Pardee: daughter of a Hollywood studio executive and a hotel heiress, sweetheart and confidante to Sahar and Luxmie -- as played by Dianna Agron

TheHotelKincaid-KatelynPardee09_zps65b4bb83.jpg

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
My main characters would be played by:

Niall Horan as Ilya Romanov

0dd01440-437e-4415-a69d-a5a5d4bc4340_zps9cdf2247.jpg

and

Kylie Bunbury as Essa Fairbanks

3b2c75b2-e78d-44c5-b7ad-9d01b9b5d1c8_zps985e4397.png

and

Luke Hemmings as Riley Prescott

lukehemmings_zpsd2d55491.jpg

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I just spent FOR-FREAKING-EVER going through *all* the Mexican-American/Latin-American actresses on the damn internet and there are like... THREE in all of Hollywood that aren't half white or easily mistaken for white wtf. I would have to do a casting call and cast an unknown probably. Unless anybody knows of any darker-skinned/black-haired (vs naturally lighter and brunette/naturally light eyes) latina actresses under 22 or so that I need to know about, because all google would give me was Selena freaking Gomez :|

edit: I need, like, this, but older
8fd7e98bd487fc13aaf0eab6a6d3aa6b.jpg

so WHOEVER THAT GIRL IS, basically, if she wanted to be an actress :p

Last edited:

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
I just spent FOR-FREAKING-EVER going through *all* the Mexican-American/Latin-American actresses on the damn internet and there are like... THREE in all of Hollywood that aren't half white or easily mistaken for white wtf. I would have to do a casting call and cast an unknown probably. Unless anybody knows of any darker-skinned/black-haired (vs naturally lighter and brunette/naturally light eyes) latina actresses under 22 or so that I need to know about, because all google would give me was Selena freaking Gomez :|

edit: I need, like, this, but older
8fd7e98bd487fc13aaf0eab6a6d3aa6b.jpg

so WHOEVER THAT GIRL IS, basically, if she wanted to be an actress :p

The one that came to my mind immediately is Camilla Belle - but she's 27 by now :D I obviously remember her from her older movies.
She could pass as white sometimes, but she works a gorgeous tan with olive undertones that might work four your character?!

camilla-belle-tim-tebow-6.jpg
http://www.absolutewrite.com//de.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
This is my absolute favorite thread. I thought I'd dust it off since I'm about to head into my NaNoWriMo revisions - and whipping out photoshop&pinterest always keeps my motivations up.

The character relationships in this novel turned out to be more complicated than anything I'd ever done before. I feel like everyone makes out with each other at some point. (And it's not even the sort of contemporary novel that deals with questioning your love life and sexuality... It's paranormal with horror elements.)

Kagami_zpsa9a97930.jpg

Meisa Kuroki as Kagami

Memphis_zps93b5bd97.jpg

Max Irons as Memphis

Princeton_zps211351e6.jpg

Dylan O'brien as Princeton

Philipp_zps4a8f1ef1.jpg

Samuel Larsen as Philipp

Quiana_zps71fec751.jpg

Seinabo Sey as Quiana

Heather_zps794f28ff.jpg

Alicia Vikander as Heather