First Duet from Space and Earth

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ran across this story while perusing the news today. It made me smile, and I thought with manhunts, gun violence, snow storms and political upheaval that perhaps it was time for a positive story.

I hope it makes you smile, too.

Astronaut and Musician Perform 1st Original Duet from Space and Earth

An astronaut and a rock singer recorded an original song together and released it today (Feb. 8) as the first duet of new music performed simultaneously in space and on the ground.

A rocket launch and the beauty of planet Earth are the subjects of the song, performed in space by Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, while accompanied by Canadian singer Ed Robertson of the band Barenaked Ladies, and others on Earth.

The song's lyrics, called "I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)," focuses on the experience of a person in space missing his loved ones on the Earth below:

"If you could see our nation from the International Space Station, you'd know why I want to get back soon."

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
From the sounds of it, Hadfield pre-recorded his part and Robertson & company played along with it.

From gizmodo

In Robertson's own words:
Hello Jesus.
Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies here. I'm an avid Giz reader. I think you guys should cover this really cool project I just did with Chris Hadfield. We wrote a song together, and then he recorded his parts ON THE ISS!!! He played along with a demo I'd made for him, and then we played Live in Toronto along with his performance from the ISS. It was all quite magical. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Cheers
Ed

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's hard to do a duet when there's light lag...

What is the light lag between us and the ISS?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Well, it's hard to do a duet when there's light lag...

What is the light lag between us and the ISS?

Even a one-second lag is too much when you are trying to sing in concert with each other. Heck, even a one-half second lag is too much.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Even a one-second lag is too much when you are trying to sing in concert with each other. Heck, even a one-half second lag is too much.

It would be possible with fold quartz.

Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee managed it, after all.