Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I have dabbled in making a game or two, and it can be fun - if you know what you're doing. I've currently convinced my boyfriend if we could try making a new one, and he's approved.

Because I am such a gamer, and have a lot of creativity juices, I'm always thinking...

"What if my book was a game instead...?"

Does any gamer here think the same way? I can't be alone, right? :p

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oooh yeah. Not so much recently, but I've had ideas in the past that I thought would work so much better as a game than a book. I don't know a thing about game design though. Board games, yes. Video games, nuh uh.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What, like a story game? Like Dear Ester, Gone Home, Heavy Rain, and a lot of others?

Or more like a game with a story?

Or your story in motion? Like in Visuals Novels like Stay/Fate Night, CrossChannel, Katawa Shoujo, Juniper's Knot? There's Ren'Py for that, if you're interested.

Writing for games of any type would mean a lot of the skills and experience I have built up for novels would go to waste. It would be fun doing it, but I don't expect myself to really find success in it.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It could be any type of game!

For example, the book you see in my signature "Stonesinger Aelina" was originally a Japanese-styled RPG in development by me, my significant other, and our friends. My boyfriend did the coding, cut-scenes, artwork and all that. I did the promotions, getting the voice actors together, and some graphics. One friend did music, another script-writing, and other concept-art for bad-guys and weapons/armor.

I only recently started writing it as a book for NaNo - because I knew a lot of things about it. We haven't really worked on the game in awhile, which was another reason I'm writing.

I created another unfinished game called "Mercenary Maiden" that now has so much lore and plot attached to it, I'm going to write it as a fantasy novel one day.

I don't make games to be successful. I do it because it's fun, and I like seeing things visually. And, well, I have that urge. :p

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to make a sprite-based RPG, something in the vein of the older Final Fantasy games or Lufia II. A lot of my plots would be well-suited for an RPG and it would be a good way to create a world with lots of lore and creatures. The only problem is that I would be no good at creating the sprites or the environments in the game.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well Lily, I've been using RPG Maker XP and/or VX-Ace.

For XP I can easily edit the default graphics, use free resources, and create sprites.

VX-Ace is quite better, though I haven't learned much about the graphics yet. I can do sprites though! Luckily, there are free resources out there for it.

We have released a demo for Ghost Shards, though it pretty much was not that good, since my boyfriend rushed it. XD

When I start the idea of a book I always end up pretending I'm making an RPG. What abilities would they have? What weapons and armor would they wear? What do they look like?

I'm a bit silly, though. :p

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Bad Princess would make for a nifty fighting game. Pick your favorite Shining Sister or Cruel Daughter and beat the crap out of the rest of the cast across various key Hagaean locations!

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to program a text adventure based on one of my (very terrible) fanfics when I was a young'un using TADS. I got quite a way into it but then the summer holidays ended and I had to concentrate on homework instead.

RPG Maker XP looks much more fun.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I love amateur game design, though I usually find it more fun if I'm not _really_ trying to make a playable game; that's the hard part that pushes me toward all sorts of unpleasant compromises, plus lots of grunt work. :p I usually imagine making an MMOrpsim or single player RPsim, which is a bit different from my book ideas, which are more like a dating sim. I like interactive stories in games, but I like games with combat and crafting and puzzles, which aren't usually in my book ideas; my game designs are also usually less sex-related than my book ideas. I've got graphic novel ideas that are kind of in the middle between book ideas and game ideas too; maybe they could be more easily converted into a visual novel game with minor interactivity.

But anyway yes! Big thumbs up for game design and development as a hobby and for friends and SOs who are actually interested in doing it with you! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.