• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carina Press

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
YOu should ask a mod to port this over to the Carina thread in Bewares. The editor of Carina is often in that thread to answer questions directly.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Carina thread in BR&BC said they pay every 6 months... Have they passed that marker?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll port this over to the Carina thread in B&BC. Angela James, the EIC for Carina frequently pops in there and answers questions. If you check that thread, I'll bet she's left some contact info for folks with submission questions.

Paz

{insert something witty here}
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Carina thread in BR&BC said they pay every 6 months... Have they passed that marker?

Angela wrote somewhere on this thread (i think pg 8)

Also, someone reminded me that earlier in this thread I'd said payment was 2x/year, which is what we initially thought it would be, but we've adapted our royalty system to pay quarterly.

So some people should've recieved some numbers regarding their stories. I'm also interested in hearing numbers (or any type of feedback Angela or authors are willing to give, really), esp for non romance focused titles....

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
The first significant reporting date will be at the end of December.

EnnaEnoch

Newbie Author
Registered
Reaction score
Carina hasn't paid any of their authors, or so I've been told from a source. Also their contract is one I would never sign.

How can an epublisher with such connections not pay after a year since opening their doors?

Sounds strange to me.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Carina hasn't paid any of their authors, or so I've been told from a source. Also their contract is one I would never sign.

How can an epublisher with such connections not pay after a year since opening their doors?

Sounds strange to me.

We've been publishing books for six months. Our contract runs on quarterly payments, and our first statement had 3 weeks on it. Because of how 3rd party retailers pay/report, no numbers had been reported for those three weeks with the exception of 2 small accounts, which didn't equal enough for payments to be generated. The first payments will go out with the second quarter reports at the beginning of January.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
We've been publishing books for six months. Our contract runs on quarterly payments, and our first statement had 3 weeks on it. Because of how 3rd party retailers pay/report, no numbers had been reported for those three weeks with the exception of 2 small accounts, which didn't equal enough for payments to be generated. The first payments will go out with the second quarter reports at the beginning of January.
Regarding the bolded portion:

What is the minimum payout?

ShannonStacey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shannonstacey.com
Regarding the bolded portion:

What is the minimum payout?

Our publisher and editors hold the specific terms of our contracts with them confidential, but I can say the minimum payout is fairly low ($25). However, the launch was so close to the end of Q2 that there were no 3rd party retailer reports available except, as Angela said, two small accounts.

The bottom line is that authors aren't going to have the data people are looking for until the first week in January when they receive Q3 statements.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a science fiction romance three days ago. No electronic response telling me it was received, though, which is in their guidelines.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a science fiction romance three days ago. No electronic response telling me it was received, though, which is in their guidelines.

I submitted last week and noticed the same thing. When I submitted to Carina back in late summer 2010, I immediately got an auto-response. I wonder if I should follow up in a few days? I hate having something listed in my submission spreadsheet, when the submission is instead lost in e-space.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a problem with an autoresponse loop in the last few weeks that resulted in around 25,000 emails in the inbox. Not the first time it's happened, sadly. Apparently, when IT was fixing it this time, they turned off the autoresponse and forgot to turn it back on. I figured it out on Monday and had it reinstated. In the meantime, I've responded to everyone who followed up when they didn't receive the autoresponse.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
We had a problem with an autoresponse loop in the last few weeks that resulted in around 25,000 emails in the inbox. Not the first time it's happened, sadly. Apparently, when IT was fixing it this time, they turned off the autoresponse and forgot to turn it back on. I figured it out on Monday and had it reinstated. In the meantime, I've responded to everyone who followed up when they didn't receive the autoresponse.

Ah, so I'll take that to mean it's okay to follow up and make sure my sub made it. I didn't want to be a nervous-nelly pest and annoy your editors. Thanks!

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
@ShannonStacey You ruined my fun. I was going to say that we'd decided not to pay people.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
*Pssst* Angela is it true you really pay with chickens and magic beans? :D

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
*Pssst* Angela is it true you really pay with chickens and magic beans? :D

That made me snort my tea. I'm going to have to borrow that line.

But Shannon is correct. Statements and checks (where due) were mailed earlier in the month.