• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carina Press

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Angela, can you tell us how long the contract runs for? All rights might not be so bad if it's only for two or three years.

Thanks again!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Manuscripts offered contracts to date: 19
Rejections sent to date: 198
Revise/resubmit letters sent: 10 (0 returned so far, but I’ll remain hopeful since it’s still early days)
I have another batch of probably forty rejection letters to send and 2 new contract offers to deliver with more coming next week! Yay! That puts us at about 8% acceptance, which is actually pretty high, so I’m impressed with that number, especially considering the stringent approval process these books are being put through.

These are really good acceptance rates

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
These are really good acceptance rates

I would venture a guess that Carina's earliest submissions were a cut above ordinary slush. Meaning, because they are so new, chances are a good percentage of subs came from already epubbed authors with their eyes on the market, as opposed to first time submitters.

Also, Angela James is well networked and highly respected in the online romance community, so an experienced author who might hesitate to submit to a new publisher would not hesitate to submit to Angela.

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
I would venture a guess that Carina's earliest submissions were a cut above ordinary slush. Meaning, because they are so new, chances are a good percentage of subs came from already epubbed authors with their eyes on the market, as opposed to first time submitters.

Also, Angela James is well networked and highly respected in the online romance community, so an experienced author who might hesitate to submit to a new publisher would not hesitate to submit to Angela.

I think that is an apt hypothesis. It is very good though that they release such information, it shows a level of transparency.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping for those who may want to read.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score

And yet Quartet Press closed before it even opened.

Carina is a new epub with what appears to be a high acceptance rate.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what happened with that?

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Carina is a new epub with what appears to be a high acceptance rate.

Our acceptance rate is 5% from the slush pile, 7-8% overall. It's been pretty well documented on our blog, so it's not a secret, but I'm very surprised to hear you think that's a high acceptance rate, especially for a digital publisher releasing all genres of fiction. I don't know of many other publishers who back up their stated acceptance rates with actual numbers, so you also know I'm not playing them either up or down.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I have to ask...I was an employee of that publisher for only three weeks, so I'm not sure what you mean by this?
That despite the names and experience behind it, it closed. Another epublisher that didn't last a year, and so many people thought it was a sure thing. All the more reason to wait and see what will happen with Carina. Which also has a big name behind it.

I understand the appeal of names, but publishers close for all kinds of reasons. And a new epub is a new epub and should be treated as such regardless of who opened it.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
I totally understand. Thanks for clarifying!

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know about e-publisher CARINA PRESS?

I came across this e-publisher on the Query Tracker web site. P&E does not list them. A quick search came up with it was launched Nov 9, 2009 by Harlequin. They do not now, but may get into print publishing. Website is http://carinapress.com/.

Another question I have is will e-publishing (with a 'legitimate" [not vanity of self-publishing] publisher) have a negative impact on getting an agent for print publishing later?

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
<moot link snipped> there is already a lengthy thread here on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
It looks like the first slew of books are due out next month, judging by the promotion thread over on Dear Author (well, that and Carina's website says so!). It'll be interesting to see how the website changes. Obviously, with no books currently for sale there's no relevant page, but presumably that'll change on the launch date. I wonder if it'll start pitching harder to readers, since at the moment it's still pitching to potential authors.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
It looks like the first slew of books are due out next month, judging by the promotion thread over on Dear Author (well, that and Carina's website says so!). It'll be interesting to see how the website changes. Obviously, with no books currently for sale there's no relevant page, but presumably that'll change on the launch date. I wonder if it'll start pitching harder to readers, since at the moment it's still pitching to potential authors.

From what I read on their web/blog, the website will change at launch and look more like a bookstore. I got a Harlequin email newsletter last week and it had a Carina banner & link in it. I thought it was a good sign that they're marketing to their readers already. They may have been doing this for a while, but I'd just signed up for the weekly newsletter.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a rejection on my novella from Angela James. It didn't meet their current needs, but stated to feel free to submit again in the future, sounds like a form reject to me. Wait time for me was three weeks to hear from them.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I think I got the same form letter yesterday.

I found a entry on Carina's blog, they rarely send out personalized rejections. The letter was basic.

Dear *****,

Thank you for submitting ******* to Carina Press, and for your patience while the acquisitions team reviewed your full manuscript.

Unfortunately, after careful consideration of your manuscript, we have determined that it does not fit our needs.
Though we aren’t able to accept this manuscript, it is always possible that future manuscripts may find a home with us, and we hope you’ll consider us for future submissions. Additionally, please remember that publishing is quite subjective, and what doesn’t work for one publisher may work for another so we wish you the best of luck in placing this manuscript elsewhere.

Thank you for your interest in working with Carina Press.

Angela James
Executive Editor, Carina Press
www.carinapress.com

Last edited: