howdy

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Hi, guys. I've been poking my head around the corner for a few days and finally decided to introduce myself. I wanted to join mostly because there has not been a time that I have been on this site that I have not either laughed out loud or learned some valuable information. Usually, both.

In terms of profession, like most, I have been writing for awhile. A few years back, my daughter and I wrote a YA and submitted to HarperCollins. Unagented. And actually recieved a request for a full from Will Hinton. My response? I ran screaming into the night. I never responded. I NEVER RESPONDED!!!! (the hollow sound you hear is the echoing toll of my head slamming hard against my computer desk) Anyway, I was woefully unprepared to to be a writer back then. Not sure I am now. But after a five year absence, I am back to give it another shot. Doing romances, now, and have had a couple of nibbles, but nothing has hit, yet.

Oh, and that YA that Harper was interested in back then? Nobody wants it now. I recently tightened it up, edited the rough parts and have been throwing it out there, but what was once 'cutting edge' is now vanilla pudding.

Oh, well. Live and learn.

Anyway, you guys are great. Glad to be here. Writing is so lonely. Nice to be lonely with company.

Take care

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you here. Welcome!

Maryn, pleased to meet you

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Thanks, Quinn, it WAS a hard lesson. My big problem now is coming up with a unique idea. Seriously. Everything I think of has been done, already. I got so frusterated a few weeks back that I just said 'fine! I'll write a romance about gargoyles! Nobody has done one of those yet, I bet!' Okay, well, come to find out that they have. AND that the series was done well. AND...this keeps right on getting better...when I was in Dallas a couple of weeks back at the Dreamin' in Dallas conference, I met a really, really nice lady. We talked for about half an hour. Loved her. Quick wit. Easy to talk to. As we stood to leave, I finally asked her what she wrote....drum roll, please...you guessed it. She is the author of the gargoyle romance series that made me pitch mine in the trash.

So. Long story short. The writing is the easy part. It is the unique thing I'm struggling with a bit.

Thanks for the encouragement, tho.

Quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Quinn, it WAS a hard lesson. My big problem now is coming up with a unique idea. Seriously. Everything I think of has been done, already. I got so frusterated a few weeks back that I just said 'fine! I'll write a romance about gargoyles! Nobody has done one of those yet, I bet!' Okay, well, come to find out that they have. AND that the series was done well. AND...this keeps right on getting better...when I was in Dallas a couple of weeks back at the Dreamin' in Dallas conference, I met a really, really nice lady. We talked for about half an hour. Loved her. Quick wit. Easy to talk to. As we stood to leave, I finally asked her what she wrote....drum roll, please...you guessed it. She is the author of the gargoyle romance series that made me pitch mine in the trash.

So. Long story short. The writing is the easy part. It is the unique thing I'm struggling with a bit.

Thanks for the encouragement, tho.

Hmmmm... Did you at least get her number? :D

Maybe you're thinking too much. A story that is 100% unique is impossible. If the Muse wants you to write about gargoyles, then write. Take a couple of characters and put them together and see what happens. Maybe you will stumble on a cool twist! (I can think of a couple fun angles)

A lot of us write by the seat of our pants. Forget what you want the story to be and try letting the characters decide. It works for some of us.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Quinn, hi. Yeah, I had her name at the time. But, romance writers drink a lot at those conventions, you know? I could probably find her again. Her series is the one that has the evil preacher and the flock of forest animals/gargoyles that are protectors over a small town. Think it was in Europe. Very creative. I found her series the first time by just googling 'gargoyle romance novels'.

Anyway...

I know what you mean about letting the characters decide, but just want to find a new, different, angle. Not vampires. Not leather wearing tattooed biker chicks ninjas. Just something fairly creative. Am struggling with that aspect of it.

Maybe shape-shifting contortionist circus performers who fight crime during the light of day and spend their nights making mad, passionate love to...to....(I go blank)

I dunno. Something will break, tho.

Thanks for the advice, and fight the good fight!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, wannawrite! :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
popcorn? there's popcorn? WHAT A COOL PLACE! I'll have mine with butter, salt, tabasco and parmasean, please. Yes. I am serious. Don't knock it til you try it.