Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I'll give the new religion some thought, one that would include drinking, preferably vodka, or maggotinis as the case might be. The Tao of Cricket? Cricketology?

:D

Ready for some uber-pittish news? Hubs is never sick. Ever. He was so sick this a.m. I had to bring him to the ER. Turns out he has the flu, bad. 102.3 temp and crapola in the lungs.

We may have to cancel our trip to Hawaii. :(

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Ready for some uber-pittish news? Hubs is never sick. Ever. He was so sick this a.m. I had to bring him to the ER. Turns out he has the flu, bad. 102.3 temp and crapola in the lungs.

We may have to cancel our trip to Hawaii. :(

That TOTALLY sucks. Tell me a) you have trip insurance and b) he didn't get a flu shot.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
No trip insurance, although we used miles so we may catch a break there. We may be out the 200 bucks for the puddle jumper, however. We're staying with our friends in Maui, so no expense. The house we rented on the beach in Kauai we've been to a bunch of times, so they may cut us a deal.

No flu shot. Neither of us have ever had one....

I'm so depressed, but I feel even worse for the hubs.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
No trip insurance, although we used miles so we may catch a break there. We may be out the 200 bucks for the puddle jumper, however. We're staying with our friends in Maui, so no expense. The house we rented on the beach in Kauai we've been to a bunch of times, so they may cut us a deal.

No flu shot. Neither of us have ever had one....

That totally sucks, but I'm glad you wouldn't be out a ton of money. When are you supposed to leave again?

And I ask because my boys have asthma as well as egg allergies, and can't get the flu vax. They rely on our herd immunity when the girls and I get the vax, so I worry about it not being the right strain and all being for nothing. We already did one emergency run to the allergist over the holidays just for a bad cold. #paranoid

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) So sorry -- I hope he recovers quickly. When were you due to leave? Tomorrow? Ack, nobody could recover from the flu that fast. :(

Poor Cricket and poor Mr. Cricket.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
We're supposed to leave Thursday a.m., so I suppose there's some hope, but, gah, he's so sick....

In fifteen years I've seen him this sick twice, this being the second time.

bbbb, I have yet to find someone who benefits from the vaccine, although I'm sure there's plenty. My friend got it and later in the season she got the flu. Apparently, like you said, hers was a different strain. Ugh. All for naught? Who knows?

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, Cricket -- so sorry to hear that. But if he can walk by Thurs. I say better to be sick in Hawaii than CA, no? Unless he's more comfortable in his own bed.

Maybe your new doggie secretly injected him with the flu virus so u guys wouldn't go away.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, Cricket -- so sorry to hear that. But if he can walk by Thurs. I say better to be sick in Hawaii than CA, no? Unless he's more comfortable in his own bed.

Maybe your new doggie secretly injected him with the flu virus so u guys wouldn't go away.

The dog did it! Ha!

I think we're just going to have to wait out the next 48 hours. It's a long flight--6 hours. If you're nauseous...it could be ugly. *sigh* I guess we'll push the vacay forward a few months if we have to. I'll still take the time off...it just won't be tropical. Or filled with sunsets and sunrises and rainbows across Hanalei Bay. :(

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody just told me YA urban fantasy/paranormal is dead.

....sigh.

My opinion: Any time anyone makes a blanket statement about what will or will not sell, they're guessing and just as likely to be wrong as right.

A statement that anything is dead is absurd. Will all the people who had bought and read fantasy/paranormal suddenly all change their minds, all at once?

Querying editors for my middle-grade historical time travel, I've had a few editors say, "We can't consider your book because we already have a historical time travel book coming out." I've had a few say, "I dislike historical time-travel books so I would not be the right editor." A few have said, "We cannot publish historical-time travel books because they generally don't do well." So far quite a number have also said, "Sounds great. Send me the full manuscript and I'll take a look."

Depending on who you listen to, you get an entirely different view of the market.

My solution: Don't listen to anyone.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Say hi to Ron, Cricket. Don't make your religion too hard -- I like easy ones.

Cricket, make it a fun religion with the need for lots of drinking. More converts that way.

I've always felt that way, too. Perhaps I wouldn't have stuck to my atheist guns, if religion hadn't seemed so darned difficult and boring. I can remember being sick one Sunday when I was about 4. Instead of the absolute juggernaut of religious services, I got to lie on the couch, sipping tea, and listening to my grandmother's country gospel 8-track tapes. I asked my grandmother, "Why can't we do this for church every week?" She didn't have a good answer.

Gah! The Pit even has power over Hawaiian vacations? That is sucktastic. :( Hope he improves in time to go. Because I agree--better to be sick in Hawaii.

Somebody just told me YA urban fantasy/paranormal is dead.

....sigh.

They said that about Jesus, too. *snicker*

Who?

When Chick Lit "died" all people did was start calling it something else.

Word.

Death, in literature, is incredibly fleeting.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, I got sick of looking at myself And the new avi is related to the story I'm working on.

I've always felt that way, too. Perhaps I wouldn't have stuck to my atheist guns, if religion hadn't seemed so darned difficult and boring.
Exactly. I think one of the big reasons I was drawn to paganism way back when is that it could be fun.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Death, in literature, is incredibly fleeting.

Wasn't the novel said to be dead a while back?

regarding drinking and religion: The Passover seder requires drinking four full glasses of wine. That's one way to commemorate the plagues.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
bbbb, I have yet to find someone who benefits from the vaccine, although I'm sure there's plenty. My friend got it and later in the season she got the flu. Apparently, like you said, hers was a different strain. Ugh. All for naught? Who knows?

Every year my boys DON'T get it (knocking wood, kicking hellhounds) I consider it a win, and I'm happy to contribute to any herd immunity as a result.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Our whole family gets the flu shot, and we have every year for at least the past 8 or 10 years. We've never had a serious case of the flu since we'd been getting the shot. We've had a few cases of slight flu - some high temps lasting about a day.

Our neighbors had it bad a few years ago. The whole family came down with it. They've been getting their flu shots ever since.

If you're under 50 and healthy, you can get a nasal spray. This is helpful for children or cowardly adults. The needles were different this year and you hardly feel it.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
My question is--what's in the flu shot/spray that makes me sick as a dog? Because one year I got the flu shot, was violently ill for about a week. Next year, felt skittish, got the spray. Was violently ill for about a week. Like vomiting, hives, death-dealing exhaustion. I'm not allergic to eggs. What gives?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
My question is--what's in the flu shot/spray that makes me sick as a dog? Because one year I got the flu shot, was violently ill for about a week. Next year, felt skittish, got the spray. Was violently ill for about a week. Like vomiting, hives, death-dealing exhaustion. I'm not allergic to eggs. What gives?

Don't get another one without checking with a doctor. A small percentage of people can get very sick unrelated to allergies.

The flu shot is far better than the flu mist, which is more likely to cause fever because it is a live virus, and it is less effective. That's why people with asthma get the shot instead of the mist.

Everyone I know who gets the flu shot inevitably ends up with the flu.

Not me! Our family has done very well with the shots. Since I have asthma and nearly ended up the hospital with the flu (before I had the shots), I make everyone in the family get them now every year.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*stumbles in*

Googled topic for my beta read yesterday, clicked on a link, and boom! Virus!

Spend next three hours ridding computer of said virus.

Back at work and too exhausted to do much, but have "to do" list a mile long.

*hides under couch*

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I have never gotten the flu shot in my life. Neither has my son. I just don't get the flu. Of course now that I've said that I'm sure I'll come down with a fatal case.

Since you're essentially injecting the virus into you, one is bound to have a small reaction -- mini-flu symptoms. But to have such an extreme reaction, Red? No bueno.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have never gotten the flu shot in my life. Neither has my son. I just don't get the flu. Of course now that I've said that I'm sure I'll come down with a fatal case.

Since you're essentially injecting the virus into you, one is bound to have a small reaction -- mini-flu symptoms. But to have such an extreme reaction, Red? No bueno.

Oh I've gotten the flu, twice. Miserable. Almost ended up in hospital once. Usually I get the flu shot and have no problems, but I didn't get it this year. So far, I'm okay. *knock on wood* *does voodoo on flu*

(((Cricket and Mr. Cricket))) I hope he feels better soon. And also, I'd happily join Cricketology.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Snappy}}}

Include us in the family that don't get flu shots. Nothing against it, but the percentages are poor. There's a greater chance getting ill from the shot than getting the flu for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.