• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Promotion] The Reader's Den

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I found out about The Readers Den today via spam. It looks like a Yet Another Display Site, only it aims to attract readers rather than editors or agents.

Their Author Pricing page. Value proposition: they only charge $19.95 per book per year. What's missing: any incentive for readers to go there.

Conclusion: they mean well, but it's a waste of time.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the spam too. It's a bit sad .. I certainly wouldn't trust his concept of marketing. He talks about how his promotional methods will get my book 'in front of real, targeted readers' .. yet his promotional method is via poorly targetted spam?

I know I'm grumpy .. but if he is sending spam to me where a few seconds of reading shows that it is in clear violation with the FTC's 'CAN-SPAM Act' - then I have no faith in his ethics or ability to run a business. When his business is all about promoting his customers work then he should make an effort to know and obey the law in the area of promoting.

Mark Riley - if you wish to run a business in an ethical and honest way - please take the time to read the FTC's spam compliance rules:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business/

I'm giving you the FTC compliance rules because I'm *guessing* that you are US based - but you provide so little information in your disregard for the law that I have to guess - you could be based in Nigeria for all I know.

It appeared in my spam box automatically - so plenty of other people have tagged it as just another spammer.

Mac
(PS: US Spam Laws has additional penalties for creating spam lists by harvesting email addresses illegally from websites. It appears that he harvested my email address from a writing site of some kind ... I'm curious to know which one he used. I suspect it is from here, because I think that this is the only place I've put my email address where an incompetent marketer could conclude that I've self published.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

It appears that he harvested my email address from a writing site of some kind ... I'm curious to know which one he used. I suspect it is from here, because I think that this is the only place I've put my email address where an incompetent marketer could conclude that I've self published.)

If you've got your email address displayed in your profile, and I can find reasonable reason to think he gacked it from here, he's not going to be happy when I'm through with him.

I'd really like a copy of that email with full headers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I read his "About" page. Great cure for insomnia, which I happen to have tonight.

Also, 5,000 "hits" a day, as I understand it, is not the same as 5,000 actual visitors. Savvy writers should know to obey Yog's Law and not pay him a dime.

He's overlooked a truly fantastic place where readers can get hooked up with writers: the library.

It's free.

There's a singular lack of self-published authors there, though.

So his wife is a "published author" -- self-pubbed or professional? Why isn't he bothering to give her books a plug? He can't comp her a subscription?

Dang, I get bitchy when sleep deprived.
icon8.gif

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. If I've got the correct Mark Riley, he's now "Digital Manager" with a legal marketing firm.