Hermeticism/goetry/angelomancy W/O Crowley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I started looking into this kind of stuff thinking it would be sort of like the Bartimaeus trilogy's magic. Seems like every order and expert on the subject has ties/parallels with this racist, lusty freak Aleister Crowley. I know he wasn't there from the beginning. Is there some more PG(-13?) magic in this tradition that's not written in ye olde circumlocution?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Try www.sacred-texts.com and look under things like Grimoires and Angels. They have stuff there that's pre-Crowley and stuff that's nothing at all to do with Thelema or the likes. There's also a site called 'Twilight Grotto' or Esoteric Archives or some combination of those that has original occult texts, could be worth a google.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I started looking into this kind of stuff thinking it would be sort of like the Bartimaeus trilogy's magic. Seems like every order and expert on the subject has ties/parallels with this racist, lusty freak Aleister Crowley. I know he wasn't there from the beginning. Is there some more PG(-13?) magic in this tradition that's not written in ye olde circumlocution?

You can get an English translation online. This corpus lost a lot of its pizzazz when Isaac Causabon (in 1614) showed that it was not as ancient as had been supposed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Casaubon

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/herm/index.htm

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com
What exactly are you looking for? Crowley (AFAIK) took a lot from John Dee, so you might want to try following that route.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking for? Crowley (AFAIK) took a lot from John Dee, so you might want to try following that route.

Crowley took a lot from the Golden Dawn which chopped John Dee to bits, added their own concepts about Egyptian paganism and made a casserole which has no real relationship to John Dee's original system. The only thing in common is the tablets and the calls of the aethyrs.

Crowley who bagged anyone who accepted things without checking the sources, accepted Mather's and Westcott's take on everything and didn't check the sources. He even accepted their ludicrously mangled pronunciation of Enochian.

Naughty Crowley or Lazy Crowley? It's one or the other.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Crowley took a lot from the Golden Dawn which chopped John Dee to bits, added their own concepts about Egyptian paganism and made a casserole which has no real relationship to John Dee's original system. The only thing in common is the tablets and the calls of the aethyrs.

Crowley who bagged anyone who accepted things without checking the sources, accepted Mather's and Westcott's take on everything and didn't check the sources. He even accepted their ludicrously mangled pronunciation of Enochian.

Naughty Crowley or Lazy Crowley? It's one or the other.

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Tell us more! :)

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
^ Seconded. What's Dee's original stuff and how can I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.