Rising/Falling Ocean Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

Some time back, in a New Age shop, I saw a large poster map that depected the very different landscape of the US after some anticipated degree of rising ocean levels. I don't remember the details; it was released in support of some book on upcoming disasters and, at the time, was of limited interest.

I've recently been thinking about it again and it occurred to me that that was just the sort of thing some enterprising scientist, grad student or prophet-of-doom would be likely to have stuck on a website somewhere.

So how about it? Anybody out there know of an online tool (usable by hapless techno-weenies like myself, please) for altering the map based on rising/fallling water levels? Or, barring that, places where individual maps of such scenarios might be accessible?

Wark

Mark Brockman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markbrockman.blogspot.com
I saw one that I really liked the shape of a while back. I think with 230 ft rise.

Where I live we are at about 700 ft above sea level and our fossils, which there are a lot of, are of blastoids and tube worms that are at the bottom of the ocean these days.

You get too much rise and it's gets pretty lame. I liked 230.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it with color. Take a topo map that's color coded for elevation, pick your rise, then use photoshop to select that color and darken it, or change it to blue, whatever.

Keep in mind that even if all the ice in the world melts, that a rise of just over 200 feet. So while coastal cities like my native New York would be gone (yay!), it wouldn't really be that dramatic a change. At least not map wise.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
The drama in a rise of sea level, even if only by a few meters, is that the bulk of Earth's human population lives in that region.

:(

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Your cities will make lovely sunlit coral reefs
But the dolphins will tell their children ghost stories
about the human souls that linger drowned and trapped in the subways
dark caverns where the dolphins cannot swim
because there they cannot breathe
Remember the Sun shines warm Life from above, Dolphin child dear
Remember in the darkness of the tunnels the Ghosts of Man mourn in torment