Nano 2013 Last Line of the Day

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
With hair dye and make up, she killed the person she had been. Helena decided she could no longer be herself.

Angsty main character turning into a prostitute to steal people's shit and flee from the planet.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A busy day today - hard to find time to write, but I managed to squeeze in about a thousand words. Here's the last of them:

"Rob, Rob," Cousin Landon said, putting his hand on Papa's arm. "Calm yourself. He didn't know what he was doing. He's hardly more than a baby himself."

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the last line for today. Not sure if I care for the metaphor I used:

He must have felt her pity, because the warmth of his invitation suddenly dissipated like dew drops in the morning sun. He walked to the formal dining room with his bowl and small plate of bacon to sit at the huge ten person table to enjoy breakfast all by himself.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last line from last night:

Emma rolls her eyes. She quickly texts back: No thanks.

Thank you thank you thank you for formatting a text message correctly! :) It drives me batty when people don't realize they should be formatted like written notes.

Okay, I just sent my inner editor outside to play in the rain.

Gena: The metaphor (actually simile if I'm not mistaken) is fine, even if perhaps not overly creative. But this can work if you're looking for a hum-drum daily life effect. "Like peel-and-and-eat shrimp at a Las Vegas convention of the Red Hat Society" is whackier, but probably wouldn't work in the context you've presented it. :)

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]“These woods were made by the Gods, it is only natural that their energy should linger.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Airships and trees, yep it is a Nina story.
[/FONT]

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
Good, but not great, writing day. I feel like I'm weak on voice, and this is a story that would benefit from it. Guess I need to hang out with more kids.

I'm pretty sure I'd get grounded for bringing a wild animal into the house, and the last thing I wanted was to be grounded again. I had a new mystery to solve, and I needed Tiff's help.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Yesterday's was an ominous "We have to talk." The day before was "Free drinks!" The need to talk definitely a consequence of the free drinks. :e2drunk:

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
Gena: The metaphor (actually simile if I'm not mistaken) is fine, even if perhaps not overly creative. But this can work if you're looking for a hum-drum daily life effect. "Like peel-and-and-eat shrimp at a Las Vegas convention of the Red Hat Society" is whackier, but probably wouldn't work in the context you've presented it. :)

Hahaha! I was sitting in bed at eleven last night and suddenly I was like "D'oh! That's a simile not a metaphor, ya idjit!"

And yeah it's kind of a lonely, bitter scene. Something will come to me.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I was skipping around in a scene yesterday (like, physically skipping around on the page, so as to keep things in at least rough chronological order), so I have no idea what my last line was; I'm not even sure where I was when I finished.

Do I win the lame-o last line contest for the day if I don't even know what my last line was?

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel77, I jump around a lot while writing, so I know what you mean.

I was so tired last night that I most of what I wrote was shit. I'm going to try to salvage some of it today. Here's the last line of last night for me:

She smiles broadly. “You’re like the sister I never have to share my toys with. What can be more awesome than that?”

Dimanagul

Will Food for Write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dimanagul.wordpress.com
Last line of the chapter I finished today. But I'll probably do more before the day is out.

“Heroes don’t retreat.” Ray balled his hands into fists. “They regroup.”

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my narrators has the right idea:

I soon found what I was looking for: stacks of hay at the far end of the barn. The straw rustled but the cow made no sound as I made a nest in the hay and covered myself. Exhausted, I was asleep nearly instantly.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like something exciting should happen soon, but I'm not sure what.

“She’s a Sharp. But she’s cool,” said Rudi. "Just don't try to touch her. She'll slice your hand off."

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An unexpected day off tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can play catch-up. Here's today's final lines:

Daazna turned his head and spat again and again, but the taste of the old man lingered in his mouth. "Fool," he said again, but this time he was talking to himself.

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
Last line for tonight, kind of lame, but I'm quitting in the middle of a scene:

If she was a drinker she would be having a bottle of wine herself. Instead, she sat there, people watching, while those around her discussed the business of successful business.

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]But he wouldn’t ignore a mistake like leaving the boy alive. A boy, with magic like hers, could usher the Breaking of the World.[/FONT]

That phrase has stuck in my head since I read Firestarter.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
“I don't know, maybe I'm not college material.” I said. Then again, that nutbag on the television had graduated college. What did that say about me?

SportsScribe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I kind of like this one from today's work:

[FONT=&quot]I stopped dead in my tracks, again, and wondered how many more shocks would it take before my heart just said screw it and quit beating.[/FONT]

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Last line:

“Whatever his name, he had more zits than a giraffe has spots. Plus, he smelled like popcorn.”