Help

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a script . My mc becomes a Member in House of Representative in USA.

I want to know how can she help immigrants especially destitute women .

secondly I want also to deal with the gun issue . How can she do it ?
Pl help and thanks ?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tough to say. She could introduce a bill (and the more cosponsors she has the better chance it has) to provide financial assistance to immigrant women, and introduce other bills to limit access to guns.

If it helps, the way bills get passed is they are written and sponsored by a representative or senator, and once it's introduced it will go to a committee, where it is picked over and if it comes out of committee (most bills die in committee and never get voted on) it will go to the House floor for debate and vote. If it passes, it goes to the Senate, where it will go to a committee, where it will be picked over and probably changed. If it makes it out of the Senate committee, it will be debated and voted on on the Senate floor. If it passes, it will go to another committee that will resolve any differences between the House and Senate versions. Then it goes to the President, who either signs it or vetoes it. That's the quick version, and an internet search will tell you all you need to know about the process.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a script . My mc becomes a Member in House of Representative in USA.

Pl help and thanks ?

Help them how? Deal with it how?

As above, she could theoretically introduce a bill of whatever sort, though who knows if she could get cosponsors or sponsors of it or get it into or out of a committee or etc.

She could try to lobby to get on a relevant committee herself, or try to cosponsor other people's bills she agreed with.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Reps often call bureaucrats and try to tell them what to do. Sometimes it has effect. That probably is how a rep would try to help a woman.

On the gun issue, a rep might introduce saying that the 2nd amendment meant exactly what it says. It would make no difference if it passed, so it might.

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score

Pl help and thanks ?

Unless you're writing a fantasy you probably want to steer clear of the guns topic until you have read more about why it's a contentious issue here in the States. Further, a freshman representative is going to have next to no sway or influence within the house of Reps. She'll spend most of her first year learning the ropes and having bills shot down. Maybe she can pass some fluff legislation but guns, abortion, religion - those are a Big Deal and aren't going to turn on the efforts of a single new member.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your views and I just want my mc voice to be heard .
While immigration is concerned I will make my rep talk to bureaucrats

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
She'll spend most of her first year learning the ropes and having bills shot down. Maybe she can pass some fluff legislation but guns, abortion, religion - those are a Big Deal and aren't going to turn on the efforts of a single new member.

A first-term Congressperson isn't likely to generate any legislation, fluff or otherwise.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
She could probably do a lot of good in her own district by helping people with government programs and regulations, let them know what services are available to them, and how to get access. If she doesn't do it directly, she could either assign her staff to help them, or get them in touch with people and organizations that will help them.