• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Breakneck Books / Variance Publishing / Deviation

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Breakneck Books has been renamed Deviation (Old BNB page is here, just for the record.)

LucindaBilya

Thick skinned fish returning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lucindabilya.weebly.com
This string is very interesting. I found it via google because I recently talked personally with Variance Publishing to check the place out.

Their quality is great, even being a small press.

They don't require agented submissions (but neither does DAW, an imprint of Penguin), but they don't just publish anything that flies their way (like vanity publishers or PublishAmerica will do). They read the material and decide to accept it or reject it. Vanity publishers will publish anything just to gain from the "vanity" of an eager writer. Variance/Deviation doesn't seem to be that type of publisher.

I don't know what the advances amount to, but they said they pay advances, royalties, and get their books into the major book stores with a return policy. They told me they are an "off-set" publisher, no longer POD. They also said they produce e-books such as the ones at Amazon.

While completing my four-book series, I have spent far too much time researching, reading, asking, signing up for writer's website forums (one required a membership fee), buying books on writing - King, Morrell, etc, and feel quite frustrated in the fact that it is harder to seek publishing than writing the novels.

Just a note: I was amazed that Variance publishing in Cabot Arkansas is very small. I went there asking for a job to support my writing insanity, but they were not hiring. From what I understand, they contract out the actual printing of the books (which explains why they can do it with a good level of quality for a small press). They gave me three books to read: two by Jeremy Robinson - "Kronos" and "Antarktos Rising," and one by Steven Savile - "Silver."

Call me stubborn, but I am back to reading agents' website submission requirements. When I am totally exhausted, frustrated, and hungry, at least I know of a place I can possibly get my work in print.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten my ignorance? I know what an acquiring editor for a publisher does. I know what a book buyer for a bookstore chain does. But what is a bookbuyer for a publisher?

From the Variance About-Us page:
Tim Schulte - Publisher: Based out of our Arkansas office, Schulte is owner of Variance with many years experience as a book buyer and salesman for other publishers. Working in post-production, he is the head of sales, shipping & recieving, and manages the warehouse. Tim leads the author submissions team and any authors that have questions regarding Variance Publishing, please direct your questions to Tim.

editing to add: Ah, Tim Schulte is/was sales director for the LDS publisher Cedar Fort. He seems to have upset an author at Variance by pulling the book at the last minute for what would appear to be unjustiable reasons: http://www.fromthewilderness.com/publisher_refuses.shtml

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Herema, you are aware that Jeremy Robinson is in fact one of the owners of this publisher? And as far as anyone knows, he has no prior publishing experience?

LucindaBilya

Thick skinned fish returning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lucindabilya.weebly.com
MRJ Le Blanc....yeppers. I knew that from researching the website. Also, I read somewhere that Jeremy Robinson stepped down from the company so he could continue writing.

My biggest surprise came when I saw how small the "warehouse" is and met the "staff."

On my earlier post, I didn't want to seem tooooo negative about the place. I mean, it may be the perfect place to park a book for someone. The company is small, but didn't all publishing companies start out somewhere?

The Variance website has the appeal of a vanity publisher, but...seems to be legit. Okay, so I have been burned by PA, haunted by VP's trying to take advantage of the eagerness of a newbie writer, and read so many nightmare stories by others, that I am suspicious of everyone!

Searching for publishing is like dragon hunting - we get burned a little along the way. If we can arm ourselves with a knight's armour (helmet of education; shield to deflect the arrows from vanity; a breast plate to guard our hearts from rejection - to keep going; steel shoes to help us walk through all the wilderness of the publishing industry; and a suit of mail preparing us for just about anything.)

Last edited:

JRobinson

Registered
Reaction score
Just to confirm to all, yes, I am no longer an owner at Variance. I left a year ago and have no bearing on what is published, how they do business or the policies they have put into place since my leaving. When I left, the Breakneck name, which was my company came with me (though I have no intention of starting a new publishing company). The former Breakneck titles stayed behind and are now under the Deviation umbrella.

I am, thankfully, 100% author now. :)

-- Jeremy

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Offset printing, discounts for retailers, and apparent bookstore placement. Not bad so far.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm surprised it wasn't listed here or anything. Their covers look pretty good too. I hope people can benefit out of this.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
It was looking good to me, as well. Although they haven't updated their About Us page since 2008 (i.e., "2008 will be an exciting year for Variance as we release..."). And the last press release dates from 2008, too.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Don't know how I missed this one. Everything looks good and inline so far. Except for one major, major crimp--upon acceptance of the first two chapters, they want a hard-copy sub of the rest. And uh, hole-punched?

I hate, hate, hate that! I don't even like my agent bothering with hard copy fulls--a total waste of time, energy and money. My second agent actually had ME do up the hard-copy subs. It's a damn money sink hole. I know of about six die-hard hold-out publishers who request paper. I just can't see it when the majority of houses are fine with email subs. That last two times I made HC subs, I got farked real good.

I might email the first chapters, and if accepted, I'll reject them with a polite explanation and hope in sinks in about why this is a terrible, out-dated and intrusive process.

Gads, I HATE this so much I'm gonna do a blog post on it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, the outdated thing bothers me. I didn't see that. So they haven't had books released since 2008?

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I didn't see it on the AW list so I thought to post it here. They look pretty good. Anyone deal with them before?

http://www.variancepublishing.com/index.html

I have no hard evidence beyond talking to a couple of their writers online, but those writers aren't particularly happy... very long delays in both production schedule and royalty payments reported.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I checked their "recently released" book Nightingale by David Farland. On Amazon it is listed as being with East India Press. So, I'm confused.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like it's just their about page that's outdated.

"Nightingale" released in March of 2012, but it says East India Press?

"Torrein" in 2011, I think? But that says Breakneck Books. But they do mention it on their site. Looks like the site's updated though, when you go down at the very bottom it says 2013.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, Veinglory, I did the same thing and posted around the same time.

Thanks for the info Willie, that's disappointing to hear.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Posted on behalf of a Variance author

Breakneck Books was originally a print-on-demand company run by Jeremy Robinson - he folded it into Variance when he launched it several years ago having secured substantial investment. The accounts with the print on demand aspect have obviously remained in the Breakneck Books name, as you'll notice several of the latest releases also have Breakneck Books listed as publisher despite being Variance releases. Jeremy subsequently left and distanced himself fully from the company.

Over the last few years several authors have reclaimed the rights to their books. Other authors have reported not being paid their royalties. The company was set up with the best intentions, and for a couple of years were a good place to be, but mismanagement of money has placed it in a bad position, and honestly, if you were to ask me I would tell you to run. Run. Run. As far and as fast as you can.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Crud. And just when I thought I found a good one. Not surprising. Thanks for the info Willie.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Variance site is gone. Tw/FB activity ceased in April, which is when last Variance book was published. Is still publishing under the name of Breakneck Media, however.