OSU Football Coach Jim Tressel Resigns

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Does it matter if it is? Not really. The game is over and has been for months. USC's 2004 BCS championship title was stripped from them this week too. But does that really matter in the long run?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course not. Me, I'd love to see it vacated, because it's tainted. Hardly worth cheering about under the circumstances.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
PRecisely. Personally, I'm ecstatic that Terelle Pryor is gone. I've not liked the kid since he came out with "Mika Vick" on his eye black like a moron. I'm almost tempted to drive the twenty minutes to the OSU campus and clean out his locker for him.

That being said, since the NCAA deemed it permissible to allow the OSU players to play in the Sugar Bowl and delay their suspensions until the 2011-12 season, it would be highly hypocritical of them to take that victory away. But I've not noticed the NCAA having a problem with hypocrisy to date; they're nothing but inconsistent.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, good point. In my ideal world, OSU would vacate the victory themselves, regardless. Because, y'know, it's the Right Thing to Do.

But, on the other hand, that's the rules, the suspensions don't start until this season, and officially, they won.

Whoop-de-doo.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad, for OSU fans,that he's not coming back. On the other hand he might have been booed off the field. On the other hand, he might not have been booed off the field. Meh, whatever.

What about the other players? Not the 20 some the SI article talked about, but the ones covered by the NCAA suspension.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Pryor was probably about to lose his senior season and I have a feeling that's what influenced his decision--that and the basic greed he's exhibited since the news conference where he announced what school he was going to--and somehow managed to screw up *Ohio State.* I don't think the other players were implicated in the cars/cash dealio, and will return to play out the season. They need to. Pryor might have been a late round draft pick--maybe fifth round if someone wanted to develop him--but someone will pick him up in the supplemental draft looking to make a slash out of him. None of the others are quite ready for an NFL combine. They'll stay.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Jury is still out on the scouting service but if U of Oregon cheated they'll get no bye from me. Haven't met Chip. He has brought things we never dreamed of to the field but if he cheated to do it .. I'd like to see him banned from coaching too.

He seems like a good human being but his family life, though very important, is not part of the job description he has to stay within to do his job. I WILL say that if he treated his family badly, I'd cease to back him (ala Ernie Kent, who I went to school, and a few parties, with) and hope the school would sour on him as well.

In fairness, it looks like the scouting service was legit, used by many univeristies, though I haven't heard an update for quite a while.

and as for Pryor, another guy we wanted badly on our campus, I guess OSU got what they recruited. I certainly misjudged him but didn't know him as well as a coaching staff would have.

CARas

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Oregon but I am not a huge Duck fan but they are better than the Beavers!! My team is the Fighting Irish!!

I'm not sure how but the NCAA rules need to be enforced. It has become so much about the almighty dollar that it sickens me at times. Those guys and girls who get scholarships should be happy that they do not have to pay the cost of going to college but that does NOT give them special privileges just because they can excel at sports. They are in college first and foremost to get an education. I'm not sure on all the rules but if a scholarship athlete goes pro before his four years are up then I think he must immediately repay the entire cost of tuition to the school.

What about red shirting? They need to do away with that too, either you are on the team or your not. To be eligible the player athlete needs to be able to get into the school so if your a good athlete but dumber than a post then go to community college and apply yourself to improve. It's bullshit that college athletes get special treatment. The coaches need to do their jobs as mentors, not look the other way when the rules are broken by players and they need oversight too for when they (coaches) break the rules.

More schools need to be like the service academies 4 years to graduate and if you are not doing well academically then you don't play.