Beta Readers/Crit Requests

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, emptyeye and Izatright, I'd look at both of yours. Emptyeye, I think you already have my email, let me know if you don't. I'll pm you Izatright :)

Emptyeye

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure I just sent it to you, Victoria. Either that, or it was another Victoria... :D

Thanks! Horror isn't something I've written a lot of, so any feedback would be helpful.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone want to beta a few poetry pieces? I'm trying to do something with some of my older work. It's all mainstream type stuff, mostly free verse. I wrote a lot of angsty and self-indulgent things when I was in college. On review only a few are even close to being worthwhile, but I could use an extra set of eyes as I try and clean them up. Just send me a PM or rep point with your email if you're interested. I'll get back to you in a few days.

Aggy, not really a poet but willing to give it a shot

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I got another story up on SFF SYW board, a short little flash piece. I'm planing on subbing it to Earthbound's flash fic contest since my first entry received a swift 1-day rejection.

Would appreciate any feedback on the revised version and will be happy to return the favor. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got another story up on SFF SYW board, a short little flash piece. I'm planing on subbing it to Earthbound's flash fic contest since my first entry received a swift 1-day rejection.

Would appreciate any feedback on the revised version and will be happy to return the favor. :)

Critique delivered :)

I subbed a flash piece to Earthbound Fiction 9 days ago, and am yet to hear back. In fact, I wrote in to ask if I could submit something to their anthos at the same time as having a flash on submission with them, and did not get a response to that either. Not sure what to make of that.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Critique delivered :)

I subbed a flash piece to Earthbound Fiction 9 days ago, and am yet to hear back. In fact, I wrote in to ask if I could submit something to their anthos at the same time as having a flash on submission with them, and did not get a response to that either. Not sure what to make of that.

Yay! Thank you, Alex. :)

Maybe they just really like your story and are mulling it over. :D I would assume, since the submissions are separate for contest and anthologies, that you could still submit to their anthologies.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're right, I just find it a bit strange that they wouldn't respond to the question directly, especially given very quick response times being reported on DT. And now that I've asked, I think it'd be rude of me to just send something else in without waiting for a reply.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
*Sheepishly*
Hi guys--I have a mild horror piece up (psychological) involving a man who has accidentally run over a child, and the toll it takes on him.
It's a July W1S1 I'd like to get more feedback on before sending it back out. About 2600 words.
Thanks in advance!

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, first post since I joined the W1S1 Novel part (I know shame on me). I'm having a problem with my WIP that's bugging me so much that I can't continue until I fix it (woe is me! lol). It's in the Science fiction/fantasy section of SYW and the title is Journey to the Lost Universe. The problem is explained, and hopefully obvious, in the thread.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
That short intro I wrote and posted earlier for critique is now a finished story. I posted a first draft here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6812917#post6812917

It's only about 2,800 words. As I wrote in the initial post I'm not entirely satisfied. If you have the time to figure out what works and doesn't, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

victoriajakes

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, one more request for a beta reader. I've got a 3,300 word horror piece, fairly violent, with off-screen castration. I just need some proofreading and to make sure the ending is right. Just PM me your e-mail if you wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I'm more than happy to return the favor on a piece of any length. I really enjoy doing LBLs haha (no sarcasm, for realz). :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, one more request for a beta reader. I've got a 3,300 word horror piece, fairly violent, with off-screen castration. I just need some proofreading and to make sure the ending is right. Just PM me your e-mail if you wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I'm more than happy to return the favor on a piece of any length. I really enjoy doing LBLs haha (no sarcasm, for realz). :)

Please go ahead and send it my way.. you have the email :)

victoriajakes

Registered
Reaction score
Would anybody want to read a 6,000 word story about a wereoctopus? I'd be more than happy to return the favor.