Self-publishing my debut novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Sometime in July, I hope to join the ranks of self-published authors by publishing my debut novel "Winter Fall" on Amazon KDP, and perhaps on other platforms a few months after that. My work is currently in the editing / polishing stage, which I *hope* to have completed in a month or so (since I'm working full-time on this) and then I'll take the plunge...yikes!

I've already created a cover for my novel, so my first question is thus: where am I able to post it on this forum? I noticed that I can't post images in my sig line, is that something that requires 50 posts to get permission to do this? I'm pretty happy with it myself, I'd just like to see what you guys think of it. :D

Secondly, I'd like to ask about formatting for the kindle - does it matter what kind of word processing software I use for this? I use Open Office, which isn't quite as robust as Word, so I hope this won't be a problem. I suppose it'll be somewhat of a trial-and-error process - I assume there is a way to "test" upload to kindle to see how it looks before going live with it. Another question I need to have answered is how to do a proper "dash" instead of a hypen--does it involve typing two hyphens together (like I just did?) Or is this something that can only be done in Word? Right now, my ms just has a single hyphen mark instead of proper dashes - I'd really like to fix this before I upload, if possible.

As for the subject matter for my novel, it's a disaster / post-apocalypic story about a family's struggle to survive in the aftermath of the Yellowstone Supervolcano, followed by nuclear war (grim, I know...lol). It's also intended to be a stand-alone novel, as I want to hold off doing a series after my second novel, which I plan to start writing as soon as this one goes live. I just figured it'd be best to have a stand-alone as a my debut until I get some more writing experience under my belt.

Will leave it at this for now, thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas about how to proceed. :)

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for simple formatting, then yes an open office file will work. The best course of action, from where I'm standing, is for you to upload through Draft 2 Digital, it will auto-format a decent file for you to distribute through their system. But you don't have to actually publish with them, you can take that file and upload it anywhere. (They'll give you a mobi (kindle), epub (BN, Kobo, Apple) and a PDF).

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
KB Parker's suggestion is what I would have said too. If you're looking for a budget, automated option, go with D2D (you might even want to use them to aggregate to the various vendors (bit it'll cost you 15%).

Good luck with your edits and writing your second book. Looking forward to following your journey.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a shot, although I'll probably just stick with KDP for the first three months, and perhaps expand to the other platforms when I have my second book out.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you're looking for a critique on your cover, there's a forum for that. Do note it is a critique forum and you will get criticisms. There isn't a post limit, though I'd recommend reading some other threads there to get a feel before posting. The image should be a maximum of 400 pixels on the largest side.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

You can also post your cover in your thread here (same dimensions), though you won't get the same level of critique. People will point out anything major, but not so much the detail. I think it's a useful thing to add to threads, as covers are an important part of the whole process.

I know nothing about pictures in the signature, as I've never done that.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I use open office myself and I have no problems formatting for Kindle. Open Office has the ability to print to a PDF. I just convert my .odt file to a pdf and upload it to Amazon. Once you upload to KDP, there is a built-in viewer that allows you to go through the book page by page on a simulation of various Kindle devices to see how it looks. I use that heavily to fix any issues. You can do that without going live. That being said, I would highly recommend also converting the .odt file to a mobi file and sending it to your own ereader (if you have one) to check it on an actual device as well. Calibre is a great free program that you can download and it will take your .odt file and convert it to a mobi file for you.

Good luck!!!

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :) Hope the editing process goes well for you, I found it to be so tedious. I got to the point that I was sick of seeing my words. LOL

As for the siggy, I don't think there is a post limit on that. But I didn't create mine until after I had 50 posts because my cover wasn't ready yet.

Under customize your profile, go to edit signature which is located under settings and options. There you will find two different boxes: edit signature, and signature picture. If those boxes aren't showing then it may be a 50 post thing.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions, it's a big help already :)

As for the hyphen / dash problem, as well as the quotes, I've found a way fix that by using the autocorrect option (which I had turned off as it was annoying me...lol).

It's nice to be making some progress on this thing. :D

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Just an additional question:

Based on what I've learned from other sources, I'm formatting my document with paragraph indexing of .26", line spacing of 1.15 and no additional space between paragraphs. Is this a good format for e-books?

As for the editing process being tedious, well, it's about to get a whole lot more tedious once I get my ms back from a English professor...lol. When I'm done with all this and I'm able to start writing on a whole new book, it's going to be like a fresh summer breeze.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I just wanted to say Welcome!

I agree with Jazen, the editing process was torturous, LOL. I got so sick of my own book that I started to wonder if anyone else would want to read it. :) But my editor, who red marked almost every single page (twice!) was also very encouraging, so I survived.

I second the suggestion of the cover critique forum that was mentioned above. The people there are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck!

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Congrats on traveling down the road. Yes, formatting is a bit tedious, but I quite enjoyed learning something new even though I did pull my hair out from time to time. :)

Does open office have an "insert symbol"? That's where I found the dashes in word anyway.

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on traveling down the road. Yes, formatting is a bit tedious, but I quite enjoyed learning something new even though I did pull my hair out from time to time. :)

Does open office have an "insert symbol"? That's where I found the dashes in word anyway.

I'm using the "auto correct" feature to fix that, although I'll to go back in line-by-line and put in dashes where they're needed in a lot of places - I'm waiting to hear back from the English Professor before doing that, to make sure I'm following proper grammar rules (as well as the 1001 other things I'm doing wrong, I'm sure...lol.)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
ah...the grammar rules. They were not my friend LOL. Hope you fair better than I did in that aspect. I have a wonderful love/hate relationship with commas.

Status
Not open for further replies.