Paul Ryan Whitesplains It All To You

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'm not sure there's any accepted definition of 'whitesplaining' but at least to me, it's an attempt by someone to explain away another ethnic group's particular problems, issues, or concerns using only their own particular socioeconomic lens without regard for the perspective or individuality of the people he's speaking about. I'd call that urban dictionary definition a bit too narrow, insofar as it only applies to attempts to define racism. (for comparison, mansplaining can certain go beyond attempts to define feminism, IMO)

At least by my definition, it seems to be exactly what Ryan did. (A bit of a tautology there, admittedly)

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am sick of the poor being demonized. How about we end corporate welfare and use the money for job training/creation?

Nah. Paul Ryan's 2014 budget is out and continues to punch out the poor much longer and even harder.

WASHINGTON — The unveiling Tuesday of Representative Paul D. Ryan’s newest Republican budget may have redrawn the battle lines for the 2014 election, detailing what his party could do with complete control of Congress and allowing Democrats to broaden the political terrain beyond health care and the narrower issues of the minimum wage and unemployment benefits.

Mr. Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman and a possible White House contender in 2016, laid out a budget plan that cuts $5 trillion in spending over the next decade. He said it would bring federal spending and taxes into balance by 2024, through steep cuts to Medicaid and food stamps, and the total repeal of the Affordable Care Act just as millions are reaping the benefits of the law.

Defense spending would increase. Domestic programs would be reduced to the lowest levels since modern government accounting. And Medicare would be converted into a “premium support” system, where people 65 and older could buy private insurance with federal subsidies instead of government-paid health care.

The new budget violates some tenets that both parties have tried to observe since the budget fights of 2011 and 2012. Those fights preserved a practice of cutting defense and nondefense programs almost equally while sparing the poorest Americans from the worst of the belt-tightening.

Mr. Ryan’s plan does not strike that balance.

In his plan, military spending through 2024 would actually rise by $483 billion over the spending caps established in the 2011 Budget Control Act “consistent with America’s military goals and strategies,” while nondefense spending at Congress’s annual discretion would be cut by $791 billion below those strict limits.

In all, Mr. Ryan said, spending would be cut by $5.1 trillion over the next decade. More than $2 trillion of that would come from repealing Mr. Obama’s health care initiative, the Affordable Care Act, a political move that has become much more difficult with the closing of the first enrollment period. More than 10 million Americans have gotten health insurance through the law, either through private policies purchased on insurance exchanges, through expanded Medicaid or private policies purchased through brokers but subsidized by the law.

As with past budget proposals, Mr. Ryan seeks to eliminate the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion, a $792 billion retrenchment, then turn the health care program for the poor into block grants to the states — saving an additional $732 billion over the decade. He would turn food stamps into a block grant program and cap spending, starting in 2020, cutting that program by $125 billion in five years. The budget relies on imposing new work requirements on food stamp and welfare recipients.

Such an approach “empowers recipients to get off the aid rolls and back on the payrolls,” Mr. Ryan wrote.

But the toughest cuts would come from domestic programs that have already been reduced steadily since 2011, when Republicans took control of the House. Mr. Ryan’s 2024 domestic spending figure would be lower in nominal dollars than such spending was in 2005. Adjusted for inflation, it would be a 29 percent cut from today’s levels, and 28 percent below the average level of spending in former President George W. Bush’s administration.

Nor did Mr. Ryan shy away from hot-button issues. Education funding would be cut by $145 billion over 10 years. Pell grants for college students would lose $90 billion. University students would start being charged interest on their loans while still in school, reaping $40 billion.

I especially enjoy that last graph where Ryan's budget starts charging interest on Junior's student loans immediately while he's still in school which should send a cold chill down the spine of any family trying to put a kid through school. Ryan really does live in a world where there's only the rich and the rest of us and he isn't concerned about anyone in the second group.

A guy as supposedly smart as he is should really take the time to hip himself to some of the debunked myths about poverty (the one about Black males not being around for their kids is Number Three).

Paul Ryan will do anything to help the poor. Just so long as they're rich.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
If the poor don't want to get screwed, they're free to hire million dollar lobbyists list any American. Since they don't, the only possible conclusion is that they just don't care.

:Headbang:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Paul Ryans of the world are still idolizing the 50's TV days of Leave It to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet, where everybody had a nice house and a nice car and some nebulous form of income stream and the most serious problem was that their kid had a zit and didn't want to tell anybody about it. Golly, if everybody would just live that way, wouldn't it be swell?

Well, sure, there was still racial segregation in schools in southeastern states, but hey, atomic energy was going to be cheap and clean and easy, and color TV had just come along, and Jimmy and Annette were wearing those terrific Mickey Mouse hats, and . . .

Yeah, let's all let Paul Ryan give advice to poor people about how they would be better off if only they were more wealthy.

caw

caw

I agree with your premise, although not quite the underpinnings.

I don't think Ryan's statements are founded in some backwards-looking 'fifties Ozzie-and-Harriet dream. That's too old-fashioned for someone of his time and milieu.

I think his philosophy is a cold, deliberate, Ayn Randian, let the lazy poor die dream filtered through the Reagan cyber-eighties, the sort of thing which could only be espoused by the privileged inobservant and heartless.

I went to high school close enough to Ryan that sports teams from his hometown and my hometown routinely played each other. I was in the thick of that pariticular semirural upscale suburban Wisconsin culture at the same time he was.

I don't know if it's unique to suburban Republican Wisconsinites, but everything Ryan has said has to me been but an echo of the sophomoric, contented dismissals of the poor and unfortunate I heard in high school, where the rich kids serenely talked of letting the undeserving poor die and the poor kids thought they meant the black kids of Milwaukee.