• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Soaring Eagle Books / Eagle's Branch Books (Penelope "Penny" Fletcher)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I don't think anyone's saying you can't dance in your 50s, 60s or 100s. The problem is with the idea of the Folies Bergere hiring an untrained 50-something unknown to dance in the chorus line.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's obviously not how I read it and if that's what was meant, I'd rather frimble3 explain it.

*bows out*

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not to derail (too late!), but there have been many, many talented dancers who've been able to trip the light fantastic well into their fifties and sixties. Ann Miller was 46 when she won critical acclaim for her role in the stage production of Mame doing a dance created specifically for her, and just a year later made TV history with this legendary commercial. Hell, she was 53 66 when she performed 42nd Street for the opening of the Disney/MGM attraction.

So. Yeah.

I don't think anyone's saying you can't dance in your 50s, 60s or 100s. The problem is with the idea of the Folies Bergere hiring an untrained 50-something unknown to dance in the chorus line

That's obviously not how I read it and if that's what was meant, I'd rather frimble3 explain it.

*bows out*
:hi:Frimble: explaining myself. Which wouldn't be necessary if I wrote with more clarity in the first place, I know.
Frankly, I would have found the Folies Bergere story more plausible if she had been a star, or a novelty act. But, as Helix so clearly put it:
The problem is with the idea of the Folies Bergere hiring an untrained 50-something unknown to dance in the chorus line.
Martha Graham danced into her 70's. Josephine Baker, almost until her death at '68. There are lots of others, so it's not unheard of. But, usually a chorus line goes for uniformity. More-or-less matching girls. It's going to take a lot of make-up to make a 50ish woman match a line of younger ones.
And, why would the Folies Bergere, internationally known for generations, take on a middle-aged beginner, when, I assume, they'd have plenty of applicants? I'm not even saying she was 'untrained', she may well have received some dance training at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, but she talks about 'some modeling and acting jobs' in Paris, not dancing. She was a dabbler, who just happened to get a job at one of the most famous dance shows around? How very George Plimpton of her.
So, she must have been really, really good to overcome the lack of experience, or resume, and her age. If she was that good, wouldn't she have made a name for herself, and why, having brought it up, wouldn't she have mentioned these theatrical credentials, the way she mentioned her FB friends, and other bits of not-related-to-publishing background?

She just did it for a lark? (This actually is relevant to this thread. A genius dabbler is not necessarily in publishing for the long haul, which seems to be where success, for the authors, lies.)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Indigo was backpacking through Europe and dancing in a chorus line at the very same time that Penny was working as a journalist in the USA. Bilocation is a much more impressive skill than performing the cancan in your 50s.

Again, I found most elements of the Indigo Fantasia back-story comical rather than unethical. There's no reason why someone in their 60s shouldn't give the impression that their erotica-writing alter ego is much younger. But rounding out what is essentially a fictional character by giving her a dead three-year-old daughter seems gratuitous, and using the story to garner sympathy from an interviewer was downright disturbing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of things I look for in a publisher. The ability to dance the can-can is not among them. Professionalism, ethics, integrity, honesty, maths skills, business skills, industry experience..... those I do look for, but I'm not seeing any of these in evidence for this particular press.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but if I were to take to the stage and dance the can-can, there'd be a whole lot more moving than just the flouncy skirts.

Likewise! And that's before I take my top off.

I just had another look at the "Movie Producers" Facebook group, the one Fletcher urged her authors to post on because "this is where the producers go". About thirty seconds of research would have told her that the group was set up by an Xlibris author whose book hadn't undergone basic proofreading, let alone editing. I can only assume that she titled the group as she did as a form of sympathetic magic - "if you call it Movie Producers they will come!"

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Indigo was backpacking through Europe and dancing in a chorus line at the very same time that Penny was working as a journalist in the USA. Bilocation is a much more impressive skill than performing the cancan in your 50s.

Again, I found most elements of the Indigo Fantasia back-story comical rather than unethical. There's no reason why someone in their 60s shouldn't give the impression that their erotica-writing alter ego is much younger. But rounding out what is essentially a fictional character by giving her a dead three-year-old daughter seems gratuitous, and using the story to garner sympathy from an interviewer was downright disturbing.

As usual, aliceshortcake nails it.

GenGriffin

Brutally Honest; No Filter
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all have raised some interesting points about the whole Penny Fletcher/Indigo Fantasia issue. The discussion has raised some questions I'd never even thought about before.

Certainly it seems to show that Penny is fully comfortable while misleading others.

Along those notes, yesterday she sent me an email and I briefly felt hopeful that she was actually interested in resolving the issues I've had with her.

That optimism lasted just as long as it took for her granddaughter (an underage minor who I have been told Penny has legal custody of) to start messaging me on facebook.

I will not post or share this CHILD'S words or identity - - - - but I think it speaks volumes on Penny's professionalism that I am now being criticized and mocked via private message on Facebook by a CHILD whom she is responsible for.

This situation just gets weirder and weirder....

ETA: I have not replied to said CHILD.

EDITED AGAIN To ADD: It appears, as of right this moment (10:28 am on November 23, 2014) that Penny Fletcher has blocked me on Facebook BUT this child's account is now "following" me....

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Penny Fletcher seems determined to appear in as poor a light as possible.

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable. Penny Fletcher seems determined to appear in as poor a light as possible.

My guess is that she believes she can use this teen-aged child (or the identity of this child) as a shield.

We all know that dealing with a minor is very different than dealing with another adult.

By blocking me and then attacking and mocking my professionalism from the account of her granddaughter, I can only assume that she hopes I will say something to make myself look bad.

I imagine that she also wanted a way to keep seeing what I am posting, despite her decision to block me.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you block all her puppet accounts? (Sorry, I don't use FB so don't really know how it works)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think you can.

Block the grand daughter's account. Don't interact with her under any circumstances.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
We all know that dealing with a minor is very different than dealing with another adult.

If you do a search for Capri Publishing in this forum, you'll see that when Capri came under fire, we had an angry thirteen-year-old posting here, claiming to speak for the press regarding public relations.

In the owner's defense, I don't think the teenager was related to her or she was aware of this.

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
Can you block all her puppet accounts? (Sorry, I don't use FB so don't really know how it works)

Really depends on how many she has and whether or not I can identify them.

The thing is, I view blocking her accounts as hiding from her and I don't see where I have anything to hide. I have said what I have said publicly because it is the truth.

I wouldn't have come here if I felt I had something to hide from. I want people to know what I have gone through with this publisher. I feel like other authors deserve to have this information available to them if they are considering using this publisher to produce their novels.

I think its extremely unprofessional of Penny Fletcher to have blocked me on Facebook and to allow her minor grandchild to contact me.

With that said, she has yet to return the rights to my novel to me and she still withholds my sales statements from me. I am afraid that denying her every possible avenue of contact would give her a reason to justify continuing to do so.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the Facebook messages are harassing in nature then report them to Facebook. That's what I would do. I would not respond to them, but I would definitely report them.

TheOneTrueBen

Making it up as I go along...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chancefortunato.com
Gen, if she is assaulting you under the guise of a minor, I personally think your best course of action is to block said "minor's" account in the event she tries to use that as some sort of sideways character attack.

But first, take screen shots of her messages (don't share them) in the event she tries to use edited versions against you. Any time even the appearance of a minor being involved occurs, it's always a good idea to be the one who severs the contact, in my personal opinion.

Don't worry about whether or not it seems like you're running from her. She's the one who is running and quite possibly hiding behind a false profile. Also, don't deal with her false profiles. If you suspect she's attacking you using a sock puppet account, my thinking is to sever contact with that account and report it as false to FB. Don't let her have the shield of a false identity. Don't let her harass you. What is she going to do? Fess up to using a bunch of sock puppet accounts to pester you?

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
Gen, if she is assaulting you under the guise of a minor, I personally think your best course of action is to block said "minor's" account in the event she tries to use that as some sort of sideways character attack.

But first, take screen shots of her messages (don't share them) in the event she tries to use edited versions against you. Any time even the appearance of a minor being involved occurs, it's always a good idea to be the one who severs the contact, in my personal opinion.

Don't worry about whether or not it seems like you're running from her. She's the one who is running and quite possibly hiding behind a false profile. Also, don't deal with her false profiles. If you suspect she's attacking you using a sock puppet account, my thinking is to sever contact with that account and report it as false to FB. Don't let her have the shield of a false identity. Don't let her harass you. What is she going to do? Fess up to using a bunch of sock puppet accounts to pester you?

Valid points. Since overwhelming vote was to block the minor's account, I blocked her.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I doubt it's a real teenager, she's probably catfishing you. Most likely stole an image for the profile off some teens FB page. Easy way to check. You can use the profile picture and search google images here to see where else it pops up. Facebook really doesn't like fake profiles.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it's a real teenager, she's probably catfishing you. Most likely stole an image for the profile off some teens FB page. Easy way to check. You can use the profile picture and search google images here to see where else it pops up. Facebook really doesn't like fake profiles.

This is what I'm thinking. Probably not a real account.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
FYI, I know of Penny (we had the same previous agent). I know she has has custody of her granddaughter for a few years, and the kid has her own issues. Beyond that I don't know specifics, but I'd bet the kid is real. At any rate.

GenGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I know of Penny (we had the same previous agent). I know she has has custody of her granddaughter for a few years, and the kid has her own issues. Beyond that I don't know specifics, but I'd bet the kid is real. At any rate.

Thank you for this.

It appears to be the same girl. Whether it is the grandchild herself or Penny using the grandchild's account, I can't be sure. I do know that someone who knows Penny irl confirmed for me that the child whose name and photographs are on the profile is the grandchild who Penny is supposed to have custody of.

ThrivingWarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
People can say anything they want but it doesn't make it true.

It most likely written because Penny Fletcher redesigned her website,which was being built slowly by a friend of the person,Gen who wrote the article and was so slanderous to Penny Fletcher and Soaring Eagle Books. But it is not based in fact other than she grieves for a very sick friend . Because of my compassion for the sick ,I won't attack this person further .

The "truth" always comes out in the end and the righteous prevail. Believe the truth

I am the "friend of the person, Gen". I would like to address this set of comments to start with today.

"People can say anything but it doesn't make it true"

BlueDog you couldn't be more correct. You can say anything...but it is far from the truth.

"It most likely written because Penny Fletcher redesigned her website,which was being built slowly...."

The website was fully functioning as I NEVER put out a website that is incomplete, broken or having grammar issues. All websites are created from a template and very professional. The website for Soaring Eagle Books was reviewed by three individuals that were being vetted by Penny and Liz as potential editors for the company, in addition I had 10 of my personal friends review the website on a private server. The site was complete from the minute it was available for viewing.

To say otherwise - is an outright lie.

To move forward on the website issue. Penny requested the password information so that she could go into the website and make changes, she stated she NEEDED to know how to do everything associated with the business and wanted to change the site daily if she so felt inclined. I provided both Penny and Mark (BlueDog) a list of free or inexpensive software that replicated Adobe Dreamweaver so that she or they could alter the site as desired. Shortly after this interaction my integrated graphics card on my motherboard failed and I began using an alternate laptop and transferring all my software and files.

Penny continued to request that I let her make changes to the website. She wanted the home page to focus on offers of editing and other a la carte opportunities for customers to purchase. I continued to explain that she was provided the information to make those changes herself. At one point I attempted to log into the ftp host and address a few of the changes and found myself prohibited from access. Penny failed in future requests to provide me the access and stated that the information had been provided previously. It had not.

I was finally contacted and requested to add a new email account for Liz, I explained yet again that I did not have the password. At this point Penny stated she had changed it months before and that she was creating a new website she could manage and I didn't need to worry about any of it. I held no hard feelings at that time in regards to Penny managing her own business website. I believe this new website truly reflects Penny and her business on the level she desires.

" she grieves for a very sick friend"

Very sick? As in terminal? As in the flu? What does Mark and Penny classify as very sick?

I classify sick as a temporary short term contagious medical condition. I am not "very sick".

I do have Stage 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma with Metastatic Disease. (Also known as Stage 4 Breast Cancer in laymans terms) I am clinically stable and receive treatments for the chronic health condition. But I am not sick.

IF and only IF Penny truly "grieves" for me as a friend - why have I not seen her since July? IF she truly is a friend, why has she not made any effort to contact me or see how I am doing? IF I am truly one worth grieving for...she has given no indication that she truly cares.

" Because of my compassion for the sick ,I won't attack this person further ."

BlueDog - aka Mark, you had no right to make the assumptions that you made. You began the attack to project Penny into a position of being the victim of my chronic health condition. You as a practitioner of Buddhism have violated the payattika vow with your comments. Frankly your behavior is in my eyes a sin on that faith.

I was intentionally remaining neutral in this issue. I have since taken a position and it no longer supports Soaring Eagle Books. BlueDog was the key cause to remove the neutrality.

Thank you BlueDog/Mark for allowing me to show others that you are cast in the same mold with inaccurate statements and a victim behavior.

The book Thriving Warrior will not be published by Penny and Soaring Eagle Books as I truly doubt her ability and integrity because of the primary actions she has exhibited directly to me and now the actions she has shown towards others.

"The "truth" always comes out in the end and the righteous prevail. "

May Gen prevail, because she is telling the truth and she is righteous in her actions.

ThrivingWarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Some people just go on lying and have so much pent up frustration they will say anything to make themselves feel better. The problem is you will be eaten up by your own lies. Your karma will get you. You blame other people for your own inadequacies and have nothing better to do than wine like a child who didn't get his way. Your lies and pent up hatred is misplaced and you would be better off working on yourself than spreading lies about Soaring Eagle. YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THESE ARE LIES !!!!!! Grow up,you SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED. This will not accomplish anything. I personally will not read anymore of your nonsense. I have seen the proof of your lies,maybe that should be up here,because you can't prove what doesn't exist. What a waste of energy,it won't help anyone.

Interesting enough, I am the one person that was in this "business" with Penny from the beginning. I was investing my time, knowledge and energy into being "back office" to ensure that when the company was self-supporting I would have invested enough to be the partner she said I would be.

I was used for my knowledge, and discarded when a better opportunity arrived. BlueDog, you do not have first hand knowledge of the facts, you are not in a position to make educated and informed comments as to the fallacy or factual basis of Gen's issues.

You and Penny have been asked to provide proof of Gen's lies. I would like to see that proof. I doubt you can supply it.

ThrivingWarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your all laughable .

From one that practices a faith of peace your pitiful attempts to use the psychological superiority theory only goes to show that you find a strange sense of joy at believing you are superior to the others on this site.

BlueDog, again, you lack of first hand knowledge continues to be reflective in your comments.

Can you answer any of the questions brought forth and requested of you?

ThrivingWarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
However, the documentation I've seen paints a picture of someone not just woefully ignorant of editing and publishing, but completely unprepared to run a business.

This is correct. Which is why Penny was to focus on the publishing and editing portion and I would focus on creating process to run the business. However, many suggestions were denied or ignored including a request to accurately track financials. I had never heard of the "brown bag" system for tracking expenses, but it was the method that Penny chose to use.

The choice, for instance, to go with IngramSpark created all kinds of problems--not just because IngramSpark is set up for self-publishers rather than publishers, but Penny doesn't appear to have properly understood IngramSpark's (very clearly explained) Terms and Conditions.

- Victoria

Penny did not properly understand all the details provided by IngramSpark. This I will also agree with as she stated so to me.

There was not any ill-intent to create a business that would take advantage of anyone, however lack of accountability, procedures and knowledge has provided for conditions that are unfavorable.