London Underground - access to blocked off tube tunnel?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not planning on any urban exploration, don't worry :p

So there's an urban myth that during the 1940's, the planned Bakerloo line extension to Camberwell was actually partially built and then bricked off. In my story, this really did happen, and the climactic event takes place in those abandoned, unused tunnels.

I'm trying to think of an interesting way my characters could gain access, though. Presently, I'm running with the idea of the 'monsters' having tunnelled through the foundations of the old Heygate Estate (currently being demolished!) down into the emergency stairwell, but it's a tad...well, I know fiction is supposed to stretch belief but I can't help but feel it's a little too much.

I need a better way of them getting down there. Access from Elephant and Castle isn't going to be doable due to the old tunnels being bricked off. Do I 'invent' a forgotten emergency access doorway or something?

There's a structure at Elephant and Castle roundabout which houses an electricity substation for the Underground...I can't find any pictures or information about what the inside looks like, but is it plausible that I could plop a doorway there? (There's also a small substation left standing on the Heygate itself)

tl;dr: help me get my characters into a non-existent abandoned tunnel please!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a documentary a few weeks ago--the title was either The London Underground or Underground London; it showed many of the now-hidden underground places. You could probably find it online.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Do they perhaps gain access when a German bomb explodes and blasts a hole down from above? Or is the Tube system too deep for that? I know from riding it that there are many levels, but as a native, you'd know more about that than I.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
People opened up the tunnel during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the secret entrance is known only to a few.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am an urban explorer, although I don't do many tunnels because well I'm a girl, and tunnels are a little too risky in terms of unsavory characters.

The railway tunnel I've been in had storm drain access. They also probably have ventilation shafts large enough for people.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
You're in luck - I did research for this one for my own WIP - the vampires operate a small 'haven' thing in the Camden Deep Shelter. Now there's several ways to do this...

1/ Dead Platforms. Surprisingly common, particular in the pre-war 'deep' Tube. You know those mysterious doors you see in the tunnels? Some of them are linking to these dead platforms, and then to... scary things. Think of it - only a half-inch of steel protecting the city's commuters from the evil!

2/ Dead Stations. Not all the stations built ended up being used. A few of the entrance buildings survived; often they'd simply brick up the underground parts and sell off the ticket-hall as a shop or something. Perhaps they forgot about doing the same for the escape tunnel?

3/ WWII bric-a-brac. Everyone knows that the Tube was used as a bomb shelter during the Blitz. But they did more. Whole tunnels were used for government records storage, barracks and command centres. Naturally, all these had multiple exits. Perhaps that odd little building in a park surrounded by trees or a rusted door in the lower basement of an old building is a long-forgotten exit?

4/ Maintenance shafts. Yep, you've picked up on this one. A cliche, but with good reason: there's tons of 'em.

5/ Cold War bric-a-brac. Like the ones from WWII, but newer. There's 'special' tunnels criss-crossing Westminster, along with bunkers, storage rooms etc. Rumours of a special 'escape tunnel' linking Downing St, Parliament, the MoD and out to Heathrow continue to be denied. Perhaps they re-activated the old tunnel, kitted it out as a bomb shelter and put in an entrance in whatever you like?

I'd say this: just make it up. Yes, the particular X might not exist in real life, but if X existed elsewhere, you can simply add another one where you need it to be. As long as you keep it in 'the realms of believability', that is.