First instrument

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
What was the first instrument you owned?

My family had an old upright piano at which I spent many an hour in tears, being forced to take lessons because my dad didn't get to take lessons when he was young. I don't consider that my first instrument.

For my 16th birthday my parents bought me an Aria Pro II electric guitar in glossy black and a 25 watt amp. I knew nothing about guitar except that I was already infatuated with the sound. I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life making that crunching thunder I heard on Def Leppard's Pyromania.

I spent that first year with the Aria Pro II surgically attached to my hand. Never had a lesson. Never realized what a generic, cheap guitar it was. I even took that sucker apart several times and put it back together, just to see what it was all about.

As the years went by and I started buying more guitars, I gave the Aria Pro II to my brother and he lost it somewhere along the way. Those words "Aria Pro II" still send a wave of nostalgia through me. :)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
My first instrument was a piano at age 10, then I started playing clarinet at around 12. Now I just beat things on the kitchen table.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My parents owned an upright piano, a Baldwin I think. I first learned how to play on that. My dad took it in the divorce and think he got rid of it. Jerk.

But the first instrument I actually owned, other than a jew's harp and kazoo, was a 1978 Ibanez Les Paul copy that I got when I was 25 and already too old to nibbly learn how to play it. :(

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Bought a set of Pearl drums when I was a teenager and promptly drove the neighbors nuts. I became good, but something wasn't quite right. My personality was more subtle. I found my Gibson E-B3 electric bass two years later and we became girlfriend/boyfriend. Them were my vibes.

I don't play anymore. I miss the stage.

Tri

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Qualification

Actually, the D70 was the first instrument I bought for myself. My dad, bless his heart, bought me a 6-string, when I was young, but it was huge and the action was at least 8 inches high. (At least it felt that way). I hated to break it to him how hard the thing was to play, but trying to buy a guitar for someone else is like trying to buy shoes for someone else. Ya gotta feel your own fit.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First instrument I owned was a $25 electric guitar my parents bought me for my 15th birthday. You'd get better action by stringing suspension bridge cables along a telephone pole, but I loved it. It had more chrome on it than a 50s era Buick.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
An acoustic guitar with nylon strings. I was 14 and learned classical guitar for two years, but I sucked and never practiced!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
When I was four years old, I was watching Sesame Street when this tubby little guy with a funny walk and a funny accent came on. Then he sat down and started playing his violin, and it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. That Christmas my parents got me a violin and sent me to a school that specialized in teaching music. I turned out to be merely a decent musician, which is not a big disappointment, but I'll always wish I could play half as well as that guy with the violin. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I played the clarinet... and though I made first chair in my middle school I never got too into it. Also learned to play the harmonica... and of the two, that's the instrument I still keep handy. :)

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Upright piano but it belonged to my grandmother's cousin and she wanted it back so the piano had to go.

But my mother-in-law just gave our family her old piano, a very nice spinet piano and I'm trying to dredge up enough of what I once knew to start my kids off playing. One of my daughters also got her first (and very nice) acoustic guitar for Christmas - she's been using mine to learn basic chords.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
When I was 7 I got a baby blue electric Fender Stratocaster. It was the sweetest guitar I ever owned. Shiny baby blue. Sweet.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I think my first instrument would be an upright piano my parents bought at some point when I was young. I don't remember when I started lessons. When I was 11 I started lessons on the violin and clarinet, but only kept up the clarinet. I still own two, but rarely play nowadays. I live in a flat, with neighbours who don't appreciate music.

I can't remember when I was given my flute, but it was years before I started to teach myself to play it. I borrowed an oboe from high school for a couple of years and was self taught in that too but I had to give it back when I left, and I can't afford one of my own yet.

I also was given a guitar for a birthday some time years ago but whereas I can usually pick up instruments fairly quickly, that one just eludes me. Some day I really must get lessons.

nessam

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
First instrument owned-Does a keyboard count? I think I saved my money for two years and got one when I was twelve. I taught myself how to play a few short things and forgot about it. Then I played the flute and got totally tired of that. It really didn't make enough sound for me to be enthused about it. So the first real instrument I owned was a trumpet. The trumpet was so much more fun to play than the flute, in my opionion. I tried to play a few reed instruments but could never get them to work right. I guess after playing a trumpet for so many years the reed instruments just never felt right.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
A violin, then a flute, then a guitar. I still have the guitar (well, my son does), but I never really learned to play any of them. :(

hubbabubbs

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't actually "own" any of my first instruments (recorder, trombone, euphonium, piano, etc). First instrument I owned was a Fender Acoustic six string, about a hundred bucks at a Pawn Shop.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Upright piano. Second was a violin, my first love. My current violin is slightly higher quality than my first ;)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Recorder. <3

ETA

Actually, my first instrument was a Cello. But I hated it.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was 7 I got a baby blue electric Fender Stratocaster. It was the sweetest guitar I ever owned. Shiny baby blue. Sweet.
At 7?! Cripes, I had to wait until I was 17 to get my Strat. It was the first top quality guitar I ever bought. About ten years later, some worthless dirt bag stole it. (I despise thieves)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I still have my Strat. It is actually a junior...so slightly smaller than a regular guitar. When it gets scratched it's white underneath...just a few scratches, though. I took lessons for a year before I got that Strat...I worked hard on a crappy old accustic prior to getting it. I didn't ask for much when I was a kid...just sketchpads/paints/guitars and music books. I worked in a record store and they paid me in records since I was too young to be on the payroll. Every day I worked I got to go through the record store and pick an album as payment. Very cool. I used to take out my Strat and try to play along with the music. Unfortunately my amp did not have an 11.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kewl paycheque for a kid!

My dad made my first amp. He used the diagram from inside a Fender Bandmaster belonging to a friend of mine, bought a Hammond transformer and scavenged all the other parts from old TVs and other junk he had lying around. It actually worked, except there was a problem in one of the two power tube circuits, it would keep cutting out and so the output would drop to half for a second, then come back. He could never find the bad soldering joint or component. Too bad, he worked really hard on it and I thought it was really neat.