Batman

sinister

Registered
Reaction score
With the new Batman movie receiving rave reviews, I was wondering about the overall success of the movie. If Batman wasn't such a beloved comic book icon with so much backstory behind him even before you step foot in to the theatre, would it still be a major draw.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
With the new Batman movie receiving rave reviews, I was wondering about the overall success of the movie. If Batman wasn't such a beloved comic book icon with so much backstory behind him even before you step foot in to the theatre, would it still be a major draw.

Well, given the fact that The Dark Knight is making piles and piles more money than any other Batman movie before it - I'd say the answer to your question is YES.

Does the Batman name have a certain appeal? Sure. But the name can hurt as much as it can help. For instance, if the film fails to live up to fan expectations, the backlash can often be worse than with a poorly-made standalone movie.

Personally, I felt that the screenplay itself was phenomenal. The Dark Knight took the best of the Batman mythos and elevated it to art.

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
Does the Batman name have a certain appeal? Sure. But the name can hurt as much as it can help. For instance, if the film fails to live up to fan expectations, the backlash can often be worse than with a poorly-made standalone movie.

Take Singer's Superman Returns. It was awful and the fans were disappointed. I'm actually surprised they're going to let him have another go at it. I say leave it alone or let someone else do it, but what do I know?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Take Singer's Superman Returns. It was awful and the fans were disappointed. I'm actually surprised they're going to let him have another go at it. I say leave it alone or let someone else do it, but what do I know?

Heh. I'm actually one of the few people in the entire world who loved that movie. And I'm a total comic nerd. ;)

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I'm actually one of the few people in the entire world who loved that movie. And I'm a total comic nerd. ;)

Superman is probably my third favorite comic book...what exactly about that movie did you like? To each their own, but Singer portrayed him as a no-good, dead beat dad who may occasionally be around and he was a peeping tom. Not the image I had for Superman from my childhood.

sinister

Registered
Reaction score
The main reason i asked is because it seems producers rarely take chances on original scripts for these types of movies. I believe Hancock was an original idea not based on a comic book, and although i didnt particular like the movie a great deal, it was interesting that he wasnt a comic book character, at least not that i know of. The same is true for those epic types of movies like LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Superman is probably my third favorite comic book...what exactly about that movie did you like? To each their own, but Singer portrayed him as a no-good, dead beat dad who may occasionally be around and he was a peeping tom. Not the image I had for Superman from my childhood.

Ha!!!

Okay, thread derail. By the way I have to qualify this by saying I love the Christopher Reeve Superman! :)

Anyway, why I liked Superman Returns. Basically I thought Singer was merging the Superman story with Christian mythos. I have always thought of Superman as a kind of Christ-figure, and it really worked for me here. Well, I guess he's both the Christ-figure and the God-figure, but whatever, it's a movie. I thought I would have big-time objections to the whole kid thing, but I didn't. I thought it was justified. Superman is a savior. He's a god-like hero who fell in love with a mortal. He had to sacrifice his desire to live like a normal human and he also found his son a "Joseph" - a father who could raise him to be a good man in his true father's absence. Obviously it was a huge canonical departure, but I like it when people play with canon. I mean, I'm a Batman junkie and I loved what they did with Two-Face in TDK, in spite of it not being even close to the "accepted" story.

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
Ha!!!

Okay, thread derail. By the way I have to qualify this by saying I love the Christopher Reeve Superman! :)

Anyway, why I liked Superman Returns. Basically I thought Singer was merging the Superman story with Christian mythos. I have always thought of Superman as a kind of Christ-figure, and it really worked for me here. Well, I guess he's both the Christ-figure and the God-figure, but whatever, it's a movie. I thought I would have big-time objections to the whole kid thing, but I didn't. I thought it was justified. Superman is a savior. He's a god-like hero who fell in love with a mortal. He had to sacrifice his desire to live like a normal human and he also found his son a "Joseph" - a father who could raise him to be a good man in his true father's absence. Obviously it was a huge canonical departure, but I like it when people play with canon. I mean, I'm a Batman junkie and I loved what they did with Two-Face in TDK, in spite of it not being even close to the "accepted" story.

Well I didn't care for it. I'm just hoping Singer lives up to his promise and brings us much more in the second one.

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
The main reason i asked is because it seems producers rarely take chances on original scripts for these types of movies. I believe Hancock was an original idea not based on a comic book, and although i didnt particular like the movie a great deal, it was interesting that he wasnt a comic book character, at least not that i know of. The same is true for those epic types of movies like LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.

Comics turned movies already have an audience following. It's a numbers games...Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-men they all put people in the seats because we know who they are.

giraffe!

bear attacks moose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's a great premise (Batman as an anti-hero) and it was incredibly well made. It would have been a hit one way or another, as far as I'm concerned.

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any where online to get the batman script? I was googling around but could not find it.

DeusExMachina770

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or was the some of the dialogue in TDK a bit subpar? Not with any of the major characters, but the placeholders and bits players. Seemed a bit off-key to me. I've noticed that with a lot of comic book adaptations.

As far as the plotline though... WOW. Utterly amazing. The intensity just keeps escalating and escalating and never lets up. Hope Hollywood takes a hint and makes more movies like this.

Last edited:

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
In theory the plot line was great and the action was relentlessly fantastic, but you would think after watching a rough cut, the producers would have realized that the intensity and scene stealing aspect of the Joker throughout the entire film caused the Two Face arc/climax to feel like a let down.

After the Joker's demise, I was glancing at my watch every minute or so (a bad thing) and after the final scene in the construction site with the Joker, I could care less about the Two Face story arc.

After just watching the greatest, most twisted and fantastically funny (in a sick way) villain to ever be filmed, Harvey Dent's problems with Gordon, Batman and Gotham could never come close to the Joker's execution of character. To me, and I know some people will call me nuts, the last ten minutes was a let down.

Personally, I would done a tweak in the editing-- by moving the showdown with Two Face to BEFORE the showdown with the Joker. Hell! When it comes out on dvd I just might do it myself.

End with a bang instead of a fizzle.

As for sub par dialog. It's the genre. We expect the goons to say stupid things-- they're goons after all. The easiest way to make a lead shine is by having them be smatter, wittier and more eloquent than the supporting cast.

Last edited: