CONTACTING SCREENPLAY AGENTS

mtsheahan

Registered
Reaction score
I have just finished my first feature length screenplay and am beginning my search for a literary agent. What is the best way to approach this? Is there a simplified method or do I simply have to beat the street and send query letter after query letter? I almost got taken by Wl Screenplay agency but, in my research, found this site. THANK GOD! Can someone just point me in the right direction? Is there one that's better than another or should I just stick to the WGA list?

Thanks,
Mike

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Pick up a copy of Writer's Market Guide to Literary Agents.

This is a book that every writer should have.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
Don't market your first script yet. Get good notes on it first, if you haven't already, then do a rewrite (or several), if you haven't already. And then write at least one more script and get notes on it and do a rewrite (or several). Then come up with at least three more good concepts you can pitch if you have to. Because if you go out with your first script now, one of several things will happen:

1) It may turn out to suck (most first scripts do) and everybody will reject it, and they may also get the idea that you can't write and will remember that about you.

2) Someone may like it but not consider it marketable and may want to know what else you have, in which case if you have nothing you're screwed. "What else do you have?" is a common question you can expect to be asked. Word to the wise: have something.

3) It may be brilliant and somebody will snap it up right away. But the odds are against this.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
Keep writing, don't even think about marketing yet.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Ravenlocks gave you some real good advice. I'm not sure what all you've done so far in regards to the process of fine tuning your script or researching other screenplays and how they're written, etc. But having another one under your belt is only going to improve your odds.

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
Mike, have you had anyone read for you yet? If this is your first script, it's probably not a good idea to try to sell it.

mtsheahan

Registered
Reaction score
I have had four different people read it and they thought it was good. I asked for honest, blunt opinions, although I know that we never want to say anything bad about our friends work. I have written three other short screenplays but never anything this large. This is my first screenplay that is the equivalent of a feature length film.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
Who were the four people? It was kind of them to take the time, but if none of them know anything about screenwriting, the value of their feedback is questionable. You might consider posting an excerpt, maybe the first five pages or so, in Share Your Work on this site. Password is vista.