Paedophiles amongst us? Here are the warning signs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could you spot a paedophile? Well, apparently you want to look out for people who are good-looking, internet-using, generous, available for baby-sitting, related to you or partnered with you, photographers, child-care workers, child sexual abuse survivors (oh, god, that is such a heinous link!) or, yanno, everyman. As long as they're men.

Balding, apparently, is also a dead giveaway.

Oh, and if you object to this kind of article, well - we have our eye on you, too.

Oh my god, journalism - what happened to you?

ETA: Because they're cleaned the article up (see post 9), just so that this post makes sense I'll put the most egregious quote from the article here:

Paedophiles are often the victims of child molestation themselves.

If you know this about a person's past, beware.

It's all very well for you to feel sorry for a person, but don't let them anywhere near young people you know.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest warning sign, as far as I can tell...

Is...

Brace yourself.

Is...

That they...

MOLEST CHILDREN!

I know, it is shocking!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest warning sign, as far as I can tell...

Is...

Brace yourself.

Is...

That they...

MOLEST CHILDREN!

I know, it is shocking!

Someone should probably mention that to news.com.au - though you'd have to wonder whether the resultant headline would be linkbaity enough...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, no, they don't all do that.

Read the article, Celia. There are other things wrong with it.

ETA: You don't have to read the article if you don't want to. It's not wildly enlightening. Or accurate.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I have with the article is...well, it is both silly and alarmist, but moreover, is fosters this continual belief in self diagnosis and laymen psychoanalysis.

I mean, I'm not even slightly up to date on how to ACTUALLY diagnose (let alone treat) someone who is a pedophile. Hell, I'm pretty sure i can barely manage to cure a case of the blues.

And here's this article that thinks that a few bullet points can take over for years of training and education. Yeah. For some reason, I doubt it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - interestingly they've just now taken out the par that suggested survivors of child sexual assault ought not to be trusted around children. That didn't take long. Thank you, internetz. Now how about we lose all the photos of balding men and perhaps approach the whole issue with, I dunno, something less linkbaity and more intelligent?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I have with the article is...well, it is both silly and alarmist, but moreover, is fosters this continual belief in self diagnosis and laymen psychoanalysis.

I mean, I'm not even slightly up to date on how to ACTUALLY diagnose (let alone treat) someone who is a pedophile. Hell, I'm pretty sure i can barely manage to cure a case of the blues.

And here's this article that thinks that a few bullet points can take over for years of training and education. Yeah. For some reason, I doubt it.

It appears to just equate pedophile with child molester, which is untrue, unhelpful, etc.

Most molesters aren't pedophiles.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I wasn't going to touch this subject when I saw it a few hours ago, but well, we only live once... and this subject is close to my heart.

Not sure really how there is a difference to molesters to pedophiles... unless we are saying molesters only molest adults or that there is something different to what a molester does than a pedophile...but that might be another conversation.

I was more thinking when I read the article and reread it a couple of times early today, that I'm not sure it is actually wrong in a big way.

The reality is, that most pedophiles don't look as we think they do, and they can be married men, teachers, or what ever career they happen to be living... even un employed, shock horror, so I'm not sure, as much as I love Mccardy, why there is issue with the article, which I took as a general overview of the subject in an attempt to remind us that we can be complacent...pedohpiles can be any body.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, as much as I love Mccardy, why there is issue with the article, which I took as a general overview of the subject in an attempt to remind us that we can be complacent...pedohpiles can be any body.
That paedophiles can be anybody is exactly not the same as suggesting that paedophiles are probably childcare workers, photographers, people who are nice to children, or survivors of childhood sexual abuse - or the other categories mentioned, cooee. It's demonising and simplifying to the extreme and also it's wrong.

That some paedophiles might work in child care is not the same as saying that child-care workers should be suspected of being paedophiles. The heading is

Could you spot a paedophile? Here are the warning signs

It's a terrible article, which has been cleaned up a little bit since I posted but is still appalling.

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Paedophilia is an attraction. It exists in the mind of the paedophile.
Molestation is an attack. It is an action in reality. One person raping another person.

A person who has an attraction need not attack anyone.

A person can rape without any attraction.

The two groups of people overlap but aren't the same.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Molestation is an attack. It is an action in reality. One person raping another person.

I wasn't even drilling down that far. I was just incensed by the idea that entire groups of people (all male as well) can be targeted as "spot-the-paedophile" fodder. Talk about link-bait!

ETA: Had there been an out-tro (at the time of this post there still isn't) that says something along the lines of "Therefore, remember that a paedophile can be anyone at all", I'd still be pretty upset because - yeah, bleeding obvious. Also - women. But that's not their point. Their point is that if you tick off all the people on the checkpoint (childcare workers, your partner, men, survivors of child sexual assault, photographers and the other people they've targeted) you should be good to go. Because that's how you spot paedophiles.

Grrr.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the article and I confess I am still confused.

Which one of those assholes pictured was supposed to be the "good-looking charmer?"

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Ah, I see where you're going and understand your intention...

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That paedophiles can be anybody is exactly not the same as suggesting that paedophiles are probably childcare workers, photographers, people who are nice to children, or survivors of childhood sexual abuse - or the other categories mentioned, cooee. It's demonising and simplifying to the extreme and also it's wrong.

That some paedophiles might work in child care is not the same as saying that child-care workers should be suspected of being paedophiles. The heading is

It's a terrible article, which has been cleaned up a little bit since I posted but is still appalling.

I don't think the intention to say the entire population is likely to be an offender, but statistically some occupations - or more so some offenders are likely to seek out certain occupations.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ITheir point is that if you tick off all the people on the checkpoint (childcare workers, your partner, men, survivors of child sexual assault, photographers and the other people they've targeted) you should be good to go. Because that's how you spot paedophiles.

Grrr.

Sadly, there isn't anyway to pick out a paedophile...but I kind of like the idea that although they haven't found the correct words and come across as very misguided, they are trying to open up the minds of people.... or perhaps just sell papers...anyways, like politics, this is another conversation I don't like entering, and I'm out of here.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. This reminds me of a "helpful" flier that went out a couple of years ago detailing the "warning signs" for deciding who was planning to rob your house.

• You've had a plumber to the house
  • Hire a gardener.
  • Electrician comes by to fix some faulty wiring.
  • Fex Ex or UPS delivery.
  • Have a new alarm installed.
  • Someone look at buying a house down the street.
  • Someone without kids move into the neighborhood.
  • Someone asking for directions.
  • etc.
Basically, anyone approaching or entering your house, and anyone on your street was actually there to rob you. I couldn't decide if it was a prank, or someone so completely terrified of being robbed that they literally saw potential hazards everywhere.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Wow - interestingly they've just now taken out the par that suggested survivors of child sexual assault ought not to be trusted around children.

They... suggested... what? :rant:

So, the author was that carried away with researching paedophiles, paedophiles in prison, people who take care of paedophiles, she just... forgot to widen her field of research, to, well, actually looking at the victims of paedophila in order to 'suggest' that conclusion? She didn't bother cross-referencing with her peers who have studied the victims?

*watches victims slip through the cracks unnoticed again*

Game of Dangerous Reality Check, anyone?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I don't know how to post a screengrab, but quoting directly from the screengrab I have, it said:

Paedophiles are often the victims of child molestation themselves.

If you know this about a person's past, beware.

It's all very well for you to feel sorry for a person, but don't let them anywhere near young people you know.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
  • Someone without kids move into the neighborhood.
That reminds me of the Agatha Christie novel where the hero/heroine were trying to decide which one of a group of people was a spy. They never suspected the woman with the baby, because who would put their own kid in jeopardy? It turned out she was the spy, and it wasn't her baby - she'd taken it off someone else's hands.

Moral of the story: I wish whoever had written that flyer had read the book, so they could have added that to the checklist: Someone with kids possibly not actual parent, therefore should be considered potential criminal.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

So, the author was that carried away with researching paedophiles, paedophiles in prison, people who take care of paedophiles, she just... forgot to widen her field of research, to, well, actually looking at the victims of paedophila in order to 'suggest' that conclusion? She didn't bother cross-referencing with her peers who have studied the victims?

*watches victims slip through the cracks unnoticed again*

Game of Dangerous Reality Check, anyone?

This is even more worrying, because it perpetuates the myth of certain kinds of sexual behavior as somehow passed on by contact and recruitment. I loathe making the comparison, but this is a common myth about homosexuality.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is SO horrible. The vampire syndrome is so false...and bad media helps to propagate it. Yes...there are abuse victims who abuse...but being abused doesn't make you a future abuser.

You know...there are so many reasons we victims either never speak up or only speak up after decades of turmoil and struggle. Perpetuating lies and inaccuracies like the ones in this article has potentially lethal repercussions. It took me 34 years to come forward. In that time, the pedophile died. I have since learned that for every known victim of a pedophile, that same pedophile could have interfered with up to 100 other victims. Being silent actually makes more children vulnerable. Because the pedophile doesn't stop at one. But that one believes themselves alone in all the world. People have to feel safe about coming out about the abuse inflicted on them. Articles like the one cited does the exact opposite...a victim seeing that article will be reinforced that they better shut up and suffer through it.

This truly saddens me.