FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You actually cite an opinion piece in a gun magazine printed in 1959 and call that unbiased?

:ROFL:

Oh my lor.... you do make me laugh, Shamus!
Hold on. You questioned the legitimacy of the ad, suggested that it could have been "knocked up in Word." The magazine article not only shows that it wasn't, it also names specific people associated with the effort.

That said, the ad itself appears to have been taken out by Americans, not the British government, though the latter appeared appreciative of the effort (though that could just be politeness).

Personally, I find it very interesting and worthy of some additional research, though not particularly compelling here as a a point of discussion, one way or the other.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well yeah, I was wondering what it had to do with present day murders in Chicago.

And yeah there is an advert. But that advert doesn't seem to have been placed by the British Government whch is what Shamus originally claimed.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What an absolutely fascinating article. Thank you for sharing it, Shamus, and thank you for telling me exactly where in the pdf I could find it, Rob.

Mirandashell, have you read the article?

The reason the information in the article is, imo, of interest in this discussion is because I believe it goes to the heart of why Americans hold onto their guns.

There are no easy answers in 2013.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I read the first part which pretty much said cobblers about the Churchill speech. And it may well be interesting for the attitude towards guns held by Americans at the time. But that's not really the point I was trying to make. Shamus made a claim and I asked for evidence of that claim. There was none forthcoming from Shamus.

The attitude of many Americans towards their guns is not something that is widely understood by non-Americans.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It's an interesting article, and a nice bit of spin. But not very relevant to the thread. We no longer live in that world.

I hope we don't live that world any more, just looking at the cover.

Tune-up Tips for Fast Draw?
"How to" of Crow Shooting?

I wasn't sure if it was really from 1959, or 1859.

Oh, and by the way, you're an idiot if you can't shoot a crow because even though crows are smart, the average crow is just average. The photo of the hunter surrounded by a field of dead crows is actually a little creepy, I think.

Also, make sure you break open that can of Bull Durham and roll your cigarette before fast draw practice.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You still haven't discussed the crux of my argument. Why are citizens and not criminals the focus of restrictions?

Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the crux of your argument in all the loaded language about "liberals" and "gun grabbers."

That said, I doubt the gang members are buying their firearms legally. Because they would be traceable then. The gangs and criminals, who are responsible for most of the murders and violence in the U.S. are getting their guns illegally. You can't cut off their supply by cutting off the supply to the citizenry. They will still get them.

That's the assertion I've seen repeated many times by gun rights advocates, but as RichardGarfinkel's link and this one affirms, it is not a difficult matter for gangs to buy as many guns as they want legally.

Jonathan Gutierrez said he and other gang members went to gun shows with large amounts of cash and had no problem buying guns despite having a criminal record.

He spoke to NewsChannel 5 from inside a high security prison in West Tennessee where he is serving life in prison for killing a rival gang member.

"I do regret the life I lived," Gutierrez said.

He said he joined a gang when he was nine years old, and by the time he was 13, he tattooed "Brown Pride" around his neck.

A few years later, he was convicted of shooting a rival gang member to death in what he called a war waged on the streets of Nashville.

"Where did you get the weapons that you used?" NewsChannel 5 Investigates asked.

Gutierrez responded,"Most of the weapons that were used were coming from the gun show."

Gutierrez said at age 15, he and other gang members went to local gun shows with cash and were easily able to buy four to six guns each visit.

"Anybody will sell you a gun," Gutierrez said. "I mean no matter what, if you want a gun and you show them the money, and tell them you want to buy it, he's going to definitely sell it to you."

Gutierrez said he bought most guns in the gun show parking lot, after going inside the show and picking out which guns he wanted.

Licensed dealers must run background checks, but private sales at gun shows require no background check.

NewsChannel 5 Investigates asked, "What if you had to go through a background check?"

Gutierrez responded, "I guess we wouldn't be buying none."

However, in the bitter gun control debate, opponents claim expanding background checks will undermine the constitutional right of people to keep and bear arms.

"We will never back away from our resolve to defend our rights and the rights of all law abiding American gun owners," said Wayne LaPierre at the NRA's convention.

"This amendment would start us down that road of registration. It would open, not close loopholes," said Senator Charles Grassley (R) Iowa, on the floor of U.S. Senate during the debate over expanded background checks.

However, supporters of expanded checks argue it should not be so easy for criminals to get guns at gun shows.
The zero-regulation philosophy of the NRA and other advocates that make up the gun lobby, have successfully kept the loophole open that gang-bangers use to wreak havoc in American cities. I don't buy the argument of Sen. Grassley or other alarmists that closing the loophole will invariably lead to gun registration.

Meanwhile, the guns continue to flood into the cities and the emergency rooms, prisons, funeral parlor and cemeteries continue to fill up.

It's not enough to say, "Well, just lock up all the gangs and the problem is solved." The demand is high and the supply is ample and BOTH must be addressed.

From the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence:

• Nine out of 10 Americans agree that we should have universal background checks, including three out of four NRA members.
  • Since the Brady Law was initially passed, about 2 million attempts to purchase firearms have been blocked due to a background check. About half of those were felons.13
  • Unfortunately, our current background check system only applies to about 60% of gun sales, leaving 40% (online sales, purchases at gun shows, etc.) without a background check.
I would agree with the NRA that new laws and restrictions won't end rampant gang violence in places like Chicago. I disagree with the NRA that new laws and restrictions will not put a serious dent into rampant gang violence.

The unwillingness of the NRA to even entertain a serious discussion on how to keep guns out of the hands of criminals is only enabling criminals to get guns.

Ambrosia said:
Because if the "law-abiding citizens" with their time and money use their legal guns to go after gang bangers, cartel members or political terrorists they then become vigilantes, thus criminals themselves? I know you aren't actually suggesting it, but come on.

I am not encouraging nor do I support vigilantes. After the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case, there's no way I would ever endorse the idea of private citizens taking to the streets looking for criminals to catch in the act.

What I was doing was responding to a nonsensical proposal by another poster with an equally nonsensical one of my own.

Ambrosia said:
I believe this is part of the problem, to be honest, when talking about this issue. You have a population of around 1/2 of the citizens in the U.S. who possess legal guns and are law abiding citizens. These same citizens are feeling attacked by proponents of gun control. 300 million LEGAL guns. Not the guns in the hands of the gang bangers and the criminals. Legal guns. Legal gun owners. People going about their every day lives acting responsibly and not harming anyone. And perhaps a tad scared watching the encroaching violence coming into their neighborhoods caused by gangs and drugs. Knowing the way gangs are spreading to smaller cities now it is enough to cause a person who is not alienated from the concept of holding a gun to go out and buy one of those assault rifles, store ammunition, and take up target practice.

Where exactly do you think the impetus is going to come from to register or confiscate 300 million guns? Not from this president and certainly not with this Congress and Supreme Court.

Fear is a powerful force. It can keep us alive, but it has to be tempered by reason. Yes, gangs have moved like a virus from beyond big cities to smaller towns and suburbs, but there isn't an orgy of violence and gunfire occurring every night there.

Arming yourself to the teeth from the threat of impending hordes of criminals may seem like a strategy, but it isn't. It is simply kicking the can down the road for the next generation to eventually deal with.

Ambrosia said:
There is a black market for guns. If right now every last gun legally held in the U.S. was taken and melted down leaving the citizens with no weapons that fire bullets, the gangs would still have guns. No one is addressing this, and trying to take away a means of protecting a family, and sometimes feeding a family, from a law-abiding citizen isn't the answer.

Telling a person who is afraid that you are going to take away their protection, whether that protection is logical or not, is only going to further press that fear button and cause push back. I think that is why these discussions invariably fall apart.

I don't know where you get the idea someone is going to take away your protection. A through system for background check keeps guns out of the hands of people like Aaron Alexis who shouldn't be that mentally unbalanced, yet apparently have no problem buying the weapons he needed to slaughter innocents.

Ambrosia said:
Nighttimer, how would you go about improving the situation for people so they don't feel the need to turn to gangs? Cause I still believe gangs are the problem. And I don't think we begin to understand the mindset of the kids that actually join up.

As I said, Ambrosia, I don't have a magic solution that wipes away this country's gang violence issued. To seriously address the issue you have to apply both punishment and prevention to curb gangs. That includes harsh penalties for gun-related crimes as well as preventative steps to keep gangs from buying guns.

Focusing on only punishment gets us no further to the day when the threat posed by gangs and organized crime pose is radically reduced.

When she was in a Chicago elementary school, Hadiya Pendleton took part in a video against gang violence. “So many children are out there in gangs,” she said in the 54-second clip. “And it is your job as students to say no to gangs and yes to a great future.”

Last Tuesday in a city park, Hadiya was randomly killed in what police say was a mistaken, gang-related shooting. Just days before, Hadiya had performed with her high school band at President Obama’s inauguration.

Coming only weeks after the shooting of 20 children in Newtown, Conn., this tragic killing of another innocent child has thrown a fresh national spotlight on the fact that an average of 16 kids under the age of 24 are murdered every day in the United States, mostly by guns and many in gang violence. And most are urban blacks or Hispanics.

The problem is particularly acute in Chicago, where gangs are larger and more organized than in most other cities. And despite various innovative anti-gang and anti-gun programs, city officials appear even more frustrated after Hadiya’s death. This January was the city’s most violent January since 2002.

Mr. Obama, too, has been frustrated with national efforts to reduce urban violence. Despite government programs to improve the quality of life, he said last June, “all this matters little if these young people can’t walk the streets of their neighborhood safely; if we can’t send our kids to school without worrying they might get shot.”

Urban leaders, he added, must “push through all the doubt and the cynicism and the weariness.”

This frustration in Chicago and elsewhere comes in part from seeing cities that have been able to demonstrate success in reducing gun and gang violence. But transferring these approaches to different communities isn’t always easy.

The US Justice Department is now working with state and local officials to apply the best ideas. One of the most popular techniques is to identity the small percentage of gang members who are instigators of violence and then change their behavior, either by using peer pressure or offering them positive alternatives to gang life, often with the help of an ex-gang member mentor.

But even that approach can be shortlived if gang-infested communities don’t have one key actor: local clergy.

In the 1990s, Boston pioneered the approach of having black church leaders cooperate with police to patrol streets, work with delinquent youth, and enlist congregations in crime fighting. In weekly meetings with police, for example, clergy can learn about current hot spots in gang tension and then pass on that information in church meetings.
After adding this moral and spiritual component to battling gangs, crime fell 60 percent in Boston in the ’90s.

“Black and Latino churches have been critical to creating peaceful urban communities, speaking better than any other institution in the voice of both righteousness and forgiveness, both of which are critical to the struggle,” says David Kennedy, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York and a leader on solving urban violence.

More cities are now enlisting faith-based institutions in tackling violence. But each police-clergy coalition will need to find the unique community dynamics needed to make their effort succeed.

As Obama told urban leaders last year, “We have to understand that when a child opens fire on another child, there’s a hole in that child’s heart that government alone can’t fill. It’s up to us, as parents and as neighbors and as teachers and as mentors, to make sure our young people don’t have that void inside them. It’s up to us to spend more time with them, to pay more attention to them, to show them more love so that they learn to love themselves, so that they learn to love one another, so that they grow up knowing what it is to walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes and to view the world through somebody else’s eyes.”

Or as Hadiya said in that video: “Say ... yes to a great future.”
I don't profess to have all of the answers, Ambrosia, but it is important for all of us who want children to grow up in safe communities where they aren't huddled on the floor in fear of a stray bullet striking them down to ask these questions and be willing to get beyond our differences to find how we go about finding solutions we can agree upon.

If I wanted to I could write about kids like Hadiya Pendelton and Arabian Gayles being slaughtered from now until the day I draw my final breath. I'm TIRED of reading these stories and I'm TIRED of writing these stories. I just want them to stop and I'll entertain almost any reasonable, rational idea that ends the blood being spilled.

I don't want to take away a law-abiding citizen's gun. But neither do I want a law-abiding citizen's fear that their gun is going to be taken away provide the cover criminals use to commit mayhem.

Last edited:

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Have you not checked out this assumption? Because they are being sold today. So I do not know where you come up with that statement. It may be a mantra, but I agree with Nighttimer that no one needs an AK-47. You don't hunt with an AK-47. Target practice, perhaps. But it does seem quite over the top to me.

If you really believe assault rifles aren't being sold in the U.S., then you need to check out this site: Atlantic Firearms

I still have to ask myself to what use? I am very torn on it, you see. I believe in a citizen's right to bear arms. But assault rifles? I am not so convinced. And what really constitutes "arms"? Should we all go out and "arm" ourselves with grenades? That may sound silly, but what in the world do we really mean here?
The problem here, I think, is that the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" are used interchangeably. Usually, for pro-gun people they are not the same thing. Assault rifles are a specific class of firearm the key feature, for the purposes of this discussion, being selective fire control, i.e., the operator can switch between semi-automatic fire and burst, or fully automatic, fire. Those weapons, which some might call "machineguns" are heavily regulated by the federal government.

Assault weapons, on the other hand, applies to a firearm based on cosmetic features that have little to do with how the firearm actually functions. Take California for example, every feature used to define an assault weapon has nothing to do with the way the weapon functions and everything to do with how "scary" the gun is. None of the "evil features" can magically turn a semi-auto rifle into a machinegun.

As for "nobody needs an AK 47", perhaps, but nobody also needs a Mercedes Benz, or an in-ground pool, or a pet, or any other thing not essential for immediate biological survival. Unless the AK is illegally converted/modified to be capable of fully automatic fire, it is no different than a hunting rifle in function, only in appearance.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Cosmetics are important in determining the risk assessment that needs to be done by those not using the gun and those that need to disarm the gun. If you make your gun look like a weapon that can shoot more, the assessment by those around it will assume that the weapon can perform like the deadlier weapon. This is especially important when it needs to be decided in a very quick instance (the gun is being brandished or is being used.)

I find the magazine posted earlier very interesting. There is very little article-space and ad-space devoted to weapons that serve any military use or have any characterisations of their guns shown as such, catering most of its space to hunting, sharpshooting and drawing (something I understand that was popular in the western-movie-heyday period.)

I still say hunting with a handgun is pretty silly. The articles in the magazine still look like proof-of-concept more than actual how-tos.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guns used in gang violence and other crimes are being purchased legally.
The primary method is that of the straw purchaser.

Not to quibble, but a "straw purchase" is not legal, though it may be both hard and time consuming to prosecute. There is a legal maxim which holds that what is forbidden directly is forbidden indirectly.

For example, just as felons cannot buy guns, minors cannot buy alcohol. An adult "legally" purchasing beer for subsequent delivery to minors is committing several crimes. First, no doubt there is a law directly forbidding an adult from providing alcohol to minors. But, the adult is also, at the very least, conspiring to commit a crime.

Similarly, a person who knowingly makes a deal with a felon to act as a straw man is conspiring to break the law. In this instance, the crime of conspiracy would be complete at the time of sale if not before. The straw buyer is also aiding and abetting.

The article suggests that, to solve the straw sale issue, the cops want to focus on gun stores, not the straw purchasers, no doubt because there are fewer gun stores and therefore it's a more efficient technique- if you can convict. But, that gets to be more like my alcohol example. Does the seller know or have reason to know that he's selling to a "straw man"? Can you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt?

This issue is addressed (though in a general sort of way) in the article:

[Straw Buyers] are people without criminal records who buy guns for felons — often at a hefty markup.

... the new findings suggest a key strategy to keeping guns off the street is for law-enforcement agencies to target the local gun stores most likely to sell firearms to straw purchasers.

But the laws on the books make it tough for prosecutions against shady gun dealers who follow the letter but not the spirit of the law. [tinman note: tough, not impossible].

Cases against shop owners rare

Police conducted stings on suburban gun stores in the late 1990s, but those investigations produced mixed results and they haven’t been done consistently for years.

“Firearms dealers are so well protected it makes it really hard to prosecute them. It has to be very, very egregious...." [tinman note: this speaks to practical issues of proof, not the legality of the practice]

In recent years, some people have been convicted of making straw buys at Chuck’s and other stores in the area.
(emphasis added).

More tailored laws might help in prosecution. Nonetheless, the straw buyer and the "wink-winking" seller are not law-abiding citizens.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Cosmetics are important in determining the risk assessment that needs to be done by those not using the gun and those that need to disarm the gun. If you make your gun look like a weapon that can shoot more, the assessment by those around it will assume that the weapon can perform like the deadlier weapon. This is especially important when it needs to be decided in a very quick instance (the gun is being brandished or is being used.)

Um, are you being facetious? Or are you really saying that we need to ban scary guns because some uniformed people are made uncomfortable by them?

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. I'm probably misunderstanding your meaning. If someone is brandishing, or using, any firearm, does the type of firearm really affect the risk assessment all that much? Regardless of weapon used, isn't the assessment "There's a motherfucker with a gun" rather than "There's a motherfucker with a gun which looks scarier than the average firearm, he must be more dangerous"?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If the gun wielder wants to make himself look more dangerous, it's certainly reasonable for someone else to make that assumption based on the limited information available.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Um, are you being facetious? Or are you really saying that we need to ban scary guns because some uniformed people are made uncomfortable by them?

Except that peer-reviewed research shows that the person holding the gun has an altered situational perception.
ND research

The researchers varied the situation in each experiment—such as having the people in the images sometimes wear ski masks, changing the race of the person in the image or changing the reaction subjects were to have when they perceived the person in the image to hold a gun. Regardless of the situation the observers found themselves in, the study showed that responding with a gun biased observers to report “gun present” more than did responding with a ball. Thus, by virtue of affording the subject the opportunity to use a gun, he or she was more likely to classify objects in a scene as a gun and, as a result, to engage in threat-induced behavior, such as raising a firearm to shoot.

Older research, including Bandura in '73 and Berkowitz in '67 (since we're digging up history here) wiki link, indicated a link between the availability of weapons and aggression.
In a controlled laboratory setting, experimenters induced anger in half of the participants while the other half of participants did not receive anger induction. The participants were then placed in a room containing eitehr firearms or neutral objects, such as badminton rackets, and then given the opportunity to act aggressively by administering electrical shocks to another individual. The results showed angered participants exposed to a rifle or revolver administered significantly more electric shocks than the angered participants exposed to neutral objects

In other words, a gun is more akin to a lit match near a fuse than the inanimate object its enthusiasts like to portray it as.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
This is a good example of why the gun debate is pointless.

The idea that an assault style rifle with a hundred round capacity magazine is nothing more than a hunting rifle with a few cosmetic differences is laughable.

The idea that those who do not accept this preposterous notion are simply uninformed people who don't know what they're talking about is both incorrect and condescending.

There is a deep sickness in the country where unrestricted access to particularly deadly firearms is the most important issue there is for many people -- and I'm speaking as a gun owner, myself.

I don't see this changing any time soon, no matter how many people are gunned down or how many kids die.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
If the gun wielder wants to make himself look more dangerous, it's certainly reasonable for someone else to make that assumption based on the limited information available.

But isn't that dependent on the shooter's behavior/attire, i.e., screaming obscenities or dressed in body armor, gas mask, etc? My point is that if you are in a situation where someone is brandishing/shooting a weapon, the type of weapon doesn't matter in an immediate risk assessment. Now I suppose, an individual with firearms knowledge finding themselves in an extended situation might use that knowledge to reassess the situation, but most shootings are over very quickly, so I feel my point still stands: the weapon used in those situations are irrelevant to an immediate life-or-death risk assessment to any situation involving a motherfucker with a gun.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
But isn't that dependent on the shooter's behavior/attire, i.e., screaming obscenities or dressed in body armor, gas mask, etc?

In a word? No.

There's no defining characteristic for an individual who's about to go off and shoot a bunch of bystanders.

Except, yanno, he's probably holding a gun.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
But isn't that dependent on the shooter's behavior/attire, i.e., screaming obscenities or dressed in body armor, gas mask, etc? My point is that if you are in a situation where someone is brandishing/shooting a weapon, the type of weapon doesn't matter in an immediate risk assessment. Now I suppose, an individual with firearms knowledge finding themselves in an extended situation might use that knowledge to reassess the situation, but most shootings are over very quickly, so I feel my point still stands: the weapon used in those situations are irrelevant to an immediate life-or-death risk assessment to any situation involving a motherfucker with a gun.

The type of gun absolutely has an impact on risk assessment. If it didn't, then no one would care about whether these types of weapons are banned. On either side.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
This is a good example of why the gun debate is pointless.
Why exactly?

The idea that an assault style rifle with a hundred round capacity magazine is nothing more than a hunting rifle with a few cosmetic differences is laughable.
I never said such a thing. I said that an assault style rifle functions no differently than any other semi-auto hunting rifle. The only reason I even specified hunting rifles is to draw a comparison in caliber as opposed to say a .22.

The idea that those who do not accept this preposterous notion are simply uninformed people who don't know what they're talking about is both incorrect and condescending.
I also didn't say that all people opposed to guns are uniformed, just some. Do you disagree that there are people out there afraid of guns with little or no knowledge of guns? I never meant to imply that all people opposed to guns in general or specifically towards assault weapons were uninformed.

There is a deep sickness in the country where unrestricted access to particularly deadly firearms is the most important issue there is for many people -- and I'm speaking as a gun owner, myself.
I am opposed to unrestricted access. As in other threads, I am entirely for increased background checks for all transfers, and sharing of pertinent information, i.e., criminal records and mental health statuses. Also cracking down on corrupt dealers and straw sales.

I don't see this changing any time soon, no matter how many people are gunned down or how many kids die.
Removing guns isn't going to stop people from getting gunned down or kids dying. Addressing the root causes of crime like education, poverty unemployment, etc while working on reasonable laws like universal background checks and vigorous prosecution of illegal gun sales would do more in my opinion. There is no one thing that can be done to fix the problem, to think there is a single solution is either hopelessly optimistic or just plain naive.

ETA: Raburrell and Clintl, I was referring to the comment about the shooter making himself scarier, which to me implies an issue of the shooter's behavior. Also, I was talking about the risk assessment of someone finding themselves in such a situation, not assessments after the fact.

Last edited:

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
ETA: Raburrell and Clintl, I was referring to the comment about the shooter making himself scarier, which to me implies an issue of the shooter's behavior. Also, I was talking about the risk assessment of someone finding themselves in such a situation, not assessments after the fact.

Yes, and this is what I'm calling BS on. Based on reports, some shooters are quiet and barely noticeable beforehand. Others have their hair on fire screaming obscenities. The only unifying characteristic that makes them both scary-looking and deadly is the gun.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, and this is what I'm calling BS on. Based on reports, some shooters are quiet and barely noticeable beforehand. Others have their hair on fire screaming obscenities. The only unifying characteristic that makes them both scary-looking and deadly is the gun.

Fair enough. Maybe it's me, but anyone brandishing or shooting a gun qualifies as scary. The fact that he has a rifle as opposed to a shotgun or a handgun, wouldn't make him more or less terrifying at the time. No matter what he was using, he would be a crazy motherfucker with a gun. That's how I would assess the risk. But that's just my opinion.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Why exactly?

I never said such a thing. I said that an assault style rifle functions no differently than any other semi-auto hunting rifle.

I grew up in west Texas and the woods of Alaska. We hunted, trapped. I've yet to see a single person give me a legitimate reason for the average hunter to have a semi-auto hunting rifle. In fact, the opposite would be true. You mangle the meat and the hide. That's just dumb.

Reaction score
Williebee, I varmint shoot in South Dakota. The rifle I use on The National Grasslands is an AR-15 Colt receiver, a mil-spec upper and Leupold scope.

The vegetation is pretty thin there, and the place is pretty sandy and gritty. I had a Ruger 77 with a heavy barrel in 22-250, but the Stoner design opens easier and cleans in minutes.

As for deer rifles, I owned a Browning BAR in 7mm Mag. One of the finest, most accurate rifles I ever owned.