Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
This.

Also, the shin bone is exceptionally fragile and sensitive.

Agreed. You don't even have to break a bone; just hit the knee at an oblique angle, so it bends in a direction Nature never intended. It takes surprisingly little force and trust me, you go for the knees, the Bad Guy ain't going to be interested in coming after you anymore. Check out aikido and ju-jitsu to learn more about doing ugly, ugly things to joints.

Most eastern martial arts are all about letting the little guy open up a big can of whoop-ass on bigger, stronger, better armed opponents.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. You don't even have to break a bone; just hit the knee at an oblique angle, so it bends in a direction Nature never intended. It takes surprisingly little force and trust me, you go for the knees, the Bad Guy ain't going to be interested in coming after you anymore. Check out aikido and ju-jitsu to learn more about doing ugly, ugly things to joints.

Most eastern martial arts are all about letting the little guy open up a big can of whoop-ass on bigger, stronger, better armed opponents.

Judo is another martial art where size works against you. In college I watched a 90-lbs girl slam a 200-lbs football player to the mat. Then she dropped The People's Elbow on his ass.

It was pretty hot.

Last edited:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, a woman my height wouldn't be able to take down a 200 lbs+ guy on her own, but she could outsmart him, or find some other means of taking him out.

To add to what JC, Cobra, and Stan have already said, I will point out that AW's very own DL Hegel (who visits us in the Cantina sometimes, mostly to leave sheep pics and mock me), isn't very tall, either.

And yet could easily kick the ass of probably everyone here.

:box:

Last edited:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina! Hopefully there will be more writing today. I'm in the zone right now. However, I have some shopping to do first.

I call BS. 5lbs/sq inch will crush a knee cap. Just make sure he doesn't fall on you.
Will do, sir. A big dude falling on my FMC might actually make for a funny scene though.

So, gentlemen, are any of you like me, in that you are ridiculously exothermic? You know, you just have to get into a bed or curl up on a sofa and five minutes later it's toasty as anything? :e2brows:

BM

Well, considering I had no idea what you were suggesting until Sian mentioned it, the uncomfortable factor was lost on me. :Shrug:

Thanks for the heads up Juney. It's obvious I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. I was looking for a style of martial arts for my FMC anyway.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorta in the writing zone this morning. I've been writing since 7:30 this morning, still going great guns now, three hours later. But what I thought was a simple bit of self-indulgence has turned into a monster, with subplots, torturous character interaction dynamics, and a main plot that's trying its best to escape my simple intentions and run away.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
*raises an eyebrow*

I'm a student ambo. I challenge you to find something that makes me squeamish in regards to genitals.

Nothing like showing up at a 70+ couples house because they want you to find their pills and they are in all their naked glory :p

Also, horrible accident stories re genitals. Although they aren't so funny, more ever so slightly sympathetically traumatic

I have several friends who are paramedics and one who is an ER doc.

Oh, the stories. But I have learned important things from his stories...

...like don't try to rob the Italian Bocce club. (A young gentleman thought it would be easy pickings. You know, old Italian guys, how dangerous could they be?)

So is a shovel and a small shallow pit out in the woods.

:evil

This.

Also, hello Sheep!

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I wrote the end of my Secret Short this morning. I've got a scene, maybe two, to add and then I'll be done and ready to edit the crap out of this thing. Oh and I need to see if my sister will beta for me.

If any of ya'll are interested in beta-ing, that would be great. Just PM me. :)

So how's your Thursday going?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
*raises an eyebrow*

I'm a student ambo. I challenge you to find something that makes me squeamish in regards to genitals.

Nothing like showing up at a 70+ couples house because they want you to find their pills and they are in all their naked glory :p

Also, horrible accident stories re genitals. Although they aren't so funny, more ever so slightly sympathetically traumatic

It was this logic that got me through my first mammogram. While the lady was doing my paperwork, I got her talking about her work: turns out she sees something like 200 or so boobs every week. Wasn't nothing I could whip out to impress her.

It sounds silly, but knowing that took a lot of the discomfort out of what can be a unpleasant examination. I was able to disrobe without embarrassment, and even cracked jokes and talked normally throughout the exam.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Random question: Do you think early-to-mid-20s is a realistic age for someone to be the captain of a spaceship? Bear in mind this isn't an official ship with academy training and the like required, it's an unregistered ship with a crew of what are essentially freelance criminals.

Because I instinctively write MCs young but I'm worried that if I go too young with this guy then it won't be believable.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I need to finish my secret short this weekend to give me time to edit it and get someone to beta it.

Also, I have not yet been rejected by HV... :chair

Please help me tamp my hope down.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Random question: Do you think early-to-mid-20s is a realistic age for someone to be the captain of a spaceship? Bear in mind this isn't an official ship with academy training and the like required, it's an unregistered ship with a crew of what are essentially freelance criminals.

Because I instinctively write MCs young but I'm worried that if I go too young with this guy then it won't be believable.

yeah, this reads a little young to me. 29 or 30 is what I'd go with, if it were my story.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
This multi-quote may make me look crazy. Just remember I do Krav Maga for three main reasons: self-defense, to write more realistic fight scenes and because it is a hell of a workout.

It's easy to smash the patella, but also simple to dislocate it with a basic kick using the ball of your foot or the outside edge. Surprisingly easy. But you're right, the knees are very easy to break. Forcing them to bend in the wrong direction is awful and while we've mentioned that strikes to the shin hurt a lot, if you used your shin to hit someone in the knee it's the equivalent of a baseball bat. Vicious.

. Granted, a woman my height wouldn't be able to take down a 200 lbs+ guy on her own, but she could outsmart him, or find some other means of taking him out.

Not sure of your height, but like the others said: smaller opponents can absolutely take down the big guys if they know what they're doing. I train with a couple very big guys (taller than 6', etc.). I'm 5'6" and can drop those guys to the mat in a heartbeat. Yes, I'm trained to do it, but it's all about leverage.

It would be more easily accepted if you went with someone in their late 20s, early 30s. However, if he or she has been working on ships since they were 12 or something, I could see you making the case for it to work. There would need to be something special about them to be able to get that type of position so early, though.

Also, I have not yet been rejected by HV... :chair

*crosses fingers for you*

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

It would be more easily accepted if you went with someone in their late 20s, early 30s. However, if he or she has been working on ships since they were 12 or something, I could see you making the case for it to work. There would need to be something special about them to be able to get that type of position so early, though.

What she said. Plus, if I were wanting a captain that young I'd make him captain under extreme circumstances. Like a lot of the other important crew members were killed or something.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorta in the writing zone this morning. I've been writing since 7:30 this morning, still going great guns now, three hours later. But what I thought was a simple bit of self-indulgence has turned into a monster, with subplots, torturous character interaction dynamics, and a main plot that's trying its best to escape my simple intentions and run away.

YAY for writing!

Something I ate recently does not seem to have agreed with me. ._.

This is the sad. Hope you feel better soon.

ION: I owe, I owe, so it's of to work I go...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Kids are getting more and more at home with technology. Especially when they are younger. Soon we will have a generation (maybe as soon as thirty or forty years) who are so comfortable with digital interaction that reading on paper will be seen as quaint and old-fashioned. I could totally buy into a twenty year old captain if the world in which the proliferation of technology has progressed is adequately shown.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The way you describe the ship, the age might work. Could be justified as a mutinous crew, training vessel, privateer, or good ol' fashioned band o' pie-rates.

That said, there are certainly cases where young whippersnappers can be captains. If the actual captain was killed/removed somehow, the first officer/mate might be frocked to the rank of captain. War, especially a bloody one, often sees rapid promotions and a lot of young, ranking officers/enlisted in charge of massive units or large vessels.

Size of ship can play into this as well. An aircraft carrier would have a more seasoned naval officer at the helm, but smaller Coast Guard ships can have "captains" with the rank of Lieutenant and Lt. Commanders. A junior LT tends to be around the age of 24-26. Additionally, Yard Patrol craft (training boats called "YPs") at the US Naval Academy are also "captained" by junior officers.

Finally, PT boats (made famous in WWII), were captained by junior officers. They were small, fast attack ships armed with torpedoes, guns, etc. and utilized a lot for ambushes. During WWII, President John F. Kennedy captained one as a Lieutenant Junior Grade (LtJG) or O-2 (one rank above an Ensign).

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes they are. BTW did you know she was in the movie Black Swan?

But of course. :)

I used to buy these expensive 'peppermint ponies' that were chocolate medalions with lovely peppermint. I should try to make my own....

I want a peppermint pony, any variation.

So is a shovel and a small shallow pit out in the woods.

I got in so much trouble the other day that I had my shovel taken away. :cry:

*pulls out backup shovel*

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I just had an argument that made me embarrassed for the other party.

Coworker: We need to remove that dash from the tagline.
Me: We need it to be grammatically correct.
Coworker: I just think it looks clunky and we should delete it. Besides, I've already had [a bunch of marketing materials] printed without the hyphen.
Me: I believe our customers would expect us to properly use the English language.
Coworker: It isn't really necessary. No one will notice.

She's being made to use the hyphen, but how is this an argument to have? How could someone suggest it's not necessary to use proper grammar? I just... :gaah

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
She's being made to use the hyphen, but how is this an argument to have? How could someone suggest it's not necessary to use proper grammar? I just... :gaah

This is a terrible argument to have to have. Did you feel like you might possibly be in a really bland episode of Punked?

I think the only thing to do with something like this is to smile disingenuously and say "I like your face", then walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.