• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How important is it to write daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlyirritable

'Sup?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
highlyirritable.wordpress.com
Do you think a writer should write every day? Even when there is something really important going on, like a "Sex and the City" marathon on HBO , or the refrigerator needs cleaning?

I hear constantly that one should write daily, and although I struggle with this, I do attempt at least 15 minutes at the keyboard each day. Some days it works out great, while other days see results no more sophisticated than a list of things to do instead of write.

My blog has helped a bit. People email and ask where I am if there is more than a 2 or 3 day absence. It's an odd feeling to have people asking for more - at once both gratifying and suffocating.

But how critical do you consider daily keyboard (or pen and paper) time?

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's very important to write every day. Otherwise I run the risk of one day turning into two, and so on.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I usually try to but haven't had a heck of a lot of success of late. Perhaps its because I was in the middle of a move but I'm hoping to get myself back on track.

I really do need to get back in the habit writing a set amount of words a day (even if its something tiny like 1k).

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
If you want to be a successful writer who understands your craft you need to develop good writing habits.

Writing daily can be a good way to develop those habits.

Last edited:

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
I think every day - but I don't write every day. Because of my family obligations, I don't usually write on weekends at all. It's important to get into a pattern where you feel your momentum isn't falling off, but that can be relatively flexible.

Reaction score
I write every day or I start making excuses as to why I should leave it 'til tomorrow...and tomorrow...and tomorrow...creeps in this petty pace from day to day...

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't write every day for various reasons, especially during the school year. I do write when I can, though. I think the important thing is to write regularly.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I write in spurts, and I'm fairly productive (not as productive as others here). For the past five years, I've gotten at least one new novel done per year, while tinkering around with other ideas, revising old stuff, etc. I can go several weeks without writing, but usually I write several days per week.

This is partly because I have other obligations and partly because I like to give my brain a writing break and read for enjoyment, read about the industry, or just live for a while.

I think if I had a problem with not finishing my work, it might be unwise to take long breaks. Also, if I had fewer commitments outside of writing, I'm sure I'd write almost every day. So far this works for me, and I'm happy with the balance in my life.

Rez78

new media nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zerotorockstar.com
I don't think it's that big of a deal if you miss a day or two of writing. It would be nice, really, to have the time and discipline to have a sit down and write something proper for our WIP projects in a daily basis.

I always have a notebook with me to have something to jot or doodle something on. While it helps capture ideas on the go, it's no substitute for a proper writing session.

For me, frequency in writing has had a less than stellar outcome so I just tend to go with the flow and write when I feel like writing. But then again, my livelihood doesn't depend on it. I'm sure my attitude would differ if I was earning a living as a full-time writer - in which case: Time to hustle baby!

For some people, I'm sure the daily writing comes more out of their need to get it out of their system.

I used to feel guilty when I didn't write/draw something everyday but you can't force it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... I've always felt that writing should be approached like a p/t job at minimum, equating to 21 hours per week or 3 hours per day. I've never had much talent or ability, though, so others may need to put in much less time to achieve their own goals.

McMich

Registered
Reaction score
Writing every day would be a dream, but with a job and 2mo old baby, it is not reality. I would, if I could! At least I am thinking about ideas every day if Iam not writing.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
McMich, that is precisely where I have been! It will get better. I actually bought a cordless keyboard and raised the magnification on my computer so I could write while nursing...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I write more when I write every day (even when I'm actually spending less time total). But I also take breaks for a day or two off when I feel myself starting to wear down. (Lately that's been a lot because I'm just slogging along. Not bored, just feeling the weight of how many words I've written, how many left to write on the WIP.)

However, if I can't write for at least thirty minutes uninterrupted I find it's almost useless. It takes me about ten minutes to get into a groove so the really productive time starts after the "warm up." And, currently, I find that once I move past about three or four hours productivity starts to slump again. My goal is usually about two hours because it gives me enough time to warm up, get something done and then stop before exhaustion sets in. I try for this every day and it's made a huge difference in how much I produce and how much I complete.

I think some people benefit from setting weekly goals because their work habits/abilities are different and they can write for eight hours and be more productive than if they break the time up into smaller chunks.

Try a little bit of both and see where you wind up. :)

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I write every day, even if it's only a paragraph or a sentence. Gotta keep exercising the brain. If you're serious about writing, you will make the time to write. I can easily see where you can take such a chunk of time by nixing your "Sex and the City" marathon.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I try to write every day. I try to make sure I'm writing by 3 pm. If I can start earlier, then it's gravy on the cake... er, roast beef.

If I don't write every day, I fall into the trap of extending my one day vacation into two, then three, then a week.... and then a month. So I write. Every day.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I think it's understandable if writers don't and can't write each and every day. Life gets in the way, especially if you work or have other commitments. If you can't write everyday, I don't think it helps to beat yourself up over it.

But if you have the time, and it's only being spent watching TV, perhaps you need to work on your discipline if you want to succeed.

Also, I think writing each day, if that is what you can and choose to do, doesn't have to only include fiction or your WIP. I blog and try to blog most days. This has helped me immensely in maintaining a habit of writing, even if it is just a short post or some random thoughts.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
It's important for me to write daily, otherwise I lose the thread. Writing is my job, my fun, my habit. Making time to write every day is not a hardship for me--it's a necessity.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think a writer should write every day? Even when there is something really important going on, like a "Sex and the City" marathon on HBO , or the refrigerator needs cleaning?

[. . .]

Note: all of this is just my personal opinion.

Writing daily is critical. I've always told people aim for at least thirty minutes, even if you have to divide it up. If you want to get work finished more quickly, then work--really work--at least an hour a day. Typically, I would write for as many as four hours a day on weekdays, six on weekends and holidays, but it's a pretty heavy workload if you have many other responsibilities to attend to.

I think time isn't the most efficient way to gage your progress. Use wordcount. Even if you're writing some piddly article, use your wordcount. Establish a word goal you can handle. I'm fond of 2000 words personally, because it's not a difficult goal to reach if you type fairly quickly and you know where you're going. 1000 words is okay, I think, if you don't have a lot of time, but anything less and you might lose your momentum and momentum does have its place in writing.

Write at least five days a week, seven if you can, but don't be too hard on yourself if something comes up. Skipping a day or two of writing generally never hurt. Plus, "Sex and the City" is worth it. ;)

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score

I hear constantly that one should write daily, and although I struggle with this, I do attempt at least 15 minutes at the keyboard each day. Some days it works out great, while other days see results no more sophisticated than a list of things to do instead of write.

My blog has helped a bit. People email and ask where I am if there is more than a 2 or 3 day absence. It's an odd feeling to have people asking for more - at once both gratifying and suffocating.

It's doubly important when the refrigerator needs cleaning.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score

I think it's vital to write *almost* every day. Taking a day or two per week off is fine, and possibly necessary for most folks so they can recharge the creative batteries. But you must write most days, I think, in order to stay in practice.

I write every day for about ten or twelve days, and then have a couple of days of non-writing. I don't let myself get distracted by stuff, though, and use that as an excuse not to write. I plan non-writing days a few days in advance. On a writing day, I can still do things like clean the fridge and watch Bullshit (which I prefer over Sex And The City, thankyouverymuch.) But I have to get my writing in first, or once I'm done.

Discipline makes talent.

You're not a writer if you don't write. Sorry, but you can't call yourself one if you're not actually doing. Personally, I don't consider fifteen minutes enough time to really get into the flow and produce something worthwhile, but you could certainly be different from me. (It's been known to happen before, that others are different from me. ;) )

And personally, I do not consider blogging to be writing time. For me, as a fiction writer, writing time = working on fiction for a minimum of 2000 words. Sometimes I hit 2000 words in about half an hour; usually it takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Sometimes I'm on a roll and I get up to 5000 words or more during a single writing session.

I work full-time at a physically demanding job, often walking to and/or from work (it's an hour-and-a-half walk), and I'm married with pets and a home to care for. It's very easy to find excuses to not write. I'm often extremely tired after a day at work. But I don't have a right to call myself a writer if I am not writing on a near-daily basis. So I make the time for it. I do what it takes. It's allowed me to get 90,000-plus words down in about eleven weeks, in spite of my busy life and my demanding career.

So ask yourself: Do you want to have a spotless fridge and watch a TV show, or do you want to feel legitimate when you tell people you're a writer? :D

Edited to clarify: I think it's important to write frequently and to write seriously (i.e. more than 15 minutes, if you can't get into a good flow in so short a time, as most folks can't) because it's practice. You develop skills by practicing them. You can't become good at something if you don't put the time in. I know painters who paint every day. I know musicians who practice every day. I know fiber artists who spin and dye every day. I know carpenters who build gorgeous furniture every day. Or nearly every day, anyway. Like any other craft or art, if you don't work at it with regularity and focus, you're not going to go far.

Last edited:

finnisempty

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it counts or not I usually write everyday in my journal. It's not much I just reflect and write down my plans for the day.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
finnisempty, some people don't count that but I think developing a journaling habit or blogging habit is a very good habit to to get into. It allows you to use your basic writing muscles on a regular basis.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to make writing a priority. If you can write every day, that's certainly best. If you cannot write every day, then I think it's important to have some sort of routine or schedule -- and stick to it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
"When you find what is important in life, push everything else aside" I forget who said that.

He meant everything but beer, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.